Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DCpate removing rust - Fri Nov 17 2000 12:21 AM
I recently acquired an old sinclair oil rack. The tin sign attached to it has small rust spots all over it. I tried using an environmentally friendly kitchen cleaner on one corner of and it basically removed some of the paint. Can tiny rust spots be removed from painted tin signs safely? Please let me know. thanks
Posted By: Jay Leeper Re: removing rust - Fri Nov 17 2000 01:48 PM
Go to the old shop talk forum and search "Rust removal and cleanup of oil cans"
Posted By: Oldgas Re: removing rust - Fri Nov 17 2000 11:23 PM
Thanks, Jay. Here is the text of the message Jay mentioned:

Quote:

Posted by Jay Leeper on February 14, 2000 at 23:57:01:

In Reply to: Rust removal and cleanup of oil cans posted by Mike Little on February 14, 2000 at 21:24:17:

Pure citric acid , you can get it at you local pharmacy. in a plastic bucket disolve 6 to 8 tablespoons of acid in water , enough to
cover a singel layer of cans and let them soak, will take any where from a few hours to a few days depending on rust amount,
keep an eye on them .Rinse cans and dry well or new rust will form quickly . protect with a good silicone wax or WD-40. I
have never hurt a can with this , but don't start out with a $1000 can . experiment on some cans and find the amounts that work
well for you. there is a way to speed this up but get good at this way first and write me back. Jay

There is a wealth of information in archived Shop Talk forum messages. Search through them from our Oldgas.com Search page . Use the form on the left and choose "This site including forum archives."

Jim
oldgas.com
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk