Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DCpate STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 04:04 PM
Some here may have dealt with Carl Davis from Cleveland, OK. He was 90+ years old and was quite the accumulator in this part of the country. Here's an article concerning Mr. Davis:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/vanderbrink-auctions-blogs/carl-davis-collection

I was going through my notebooks and thought I'd call Carl yesterday when I learned of his passing earlier this month.

Carl had 3 Johnson signs sitting on the side of his house, rescued from a refinery that was right down the road from his shop. When he pointed to to the refinery location, it was nothing but pasture...

The 3 signs were: 1.) a 48" double sided Johnson in the frame. Very distinctive because there is a softball size hit near the center of the sign that had been touched up. Otherwise, very clean. 2.) a 30" Johnson ethyl in a funky curb stand frame, condition 7-8 3.) a 30" tin ROUND Johnson sign that had a center section where you marked the gas in cents. Weird sign, have never seen another. Was faded from being outside but very legible.

I spoke with Mr. Davis' daughter who informed me the signs were there when her father collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital. Approximately 2-3 days later, after his passing, she went back to his house and someone had taken a pick-up load of stuff including the signs. She was understandably upset and heartbroken.

Please be on the look out for any of these signs! In the alternative, if you have bought any of these signs, know they are STOLEN.

Thanks for any and all help.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 04:35 PM
Surly 3 signs that will NOT go unnoticed in the collector community. I'd bet money they will show up somewhere for sale. Now whether the new owner does the right thing or even knows they are stolen is a entirely different story.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 04:42 PM
That's sad. I hope his family finds the low life scum that took his stuff . That article about Mr Davis and his life story is neat , may he rest in peace .
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 04:59 PM
Can't get any lower than that.
Posted By: scottpcm Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 05:43 PM
Wow I'm really close to Cleveland I'll keep my eyes and ears open! Scott B.
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Tbirdgas
Can't get any lower than that.

I totally agree!

Is there a sight that searches through CL postings across the US and Canada?
Posted By: texacokie Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: scottpcm
Wow I'm really close to Cleveland I'll keep my eyes and ears open! Scott B.

Its Cleveland Oklahoma. I will keep an eye out for them as well.
Posted By: Mills Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 10:46 PM
www.searchtempest.com/ Will search multiple areas.
Posted By: moore798 Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Thu Jan 29 2015 11:09 PM
Thanks Chad,I will keep my eyes and ears open up here for the low-life scum bags!
I was unaware of the search site. Thank you!

Hope the signs are found and the crooks punished.
Posted By: kybred76 Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Fri Jan 30 2015 12:05 AM
www.searchcraigslist.org

will search everywhere
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Fri Jan 30 2015 12:23 AM
also try http://www.adhuntr.com/ it searches the entire US
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Fri Jan 30 2015 12:41 AM
I will keep a eye out here in Oklahoma City!
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Fri Jan 30 2015 01:07 AM
I search Oklahoma and the surrounding states almost daily. I'll be watching.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Fri Jan 30 2015 01:44 AM
Jeez...sad that this happens.
Posted By: Nicole Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Sat Jan 31 2015 05:28 AM
It more commonly happens when the family is at the funeral. Funeral notice posted in the paper and the house is broken into...very sad. I hope they find the stuff and get the person who did it.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Sat Jan 31 2015 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Nicole
It more commonly happens when the family is at the funeral. Funeral notice posted in the paper and the house is broken into...very sad. I hope they find the stuff and get the person who did it.

Just what I was thinking! I have heard of several here. You not only give them the day but the times you won't be there. Lowest of the lows.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Sat Jan 31 2015 04:30 PM
I have a friend whose brother died in his sleep in his house. One of the neighbors found him and called my friend(a police captain). He phoned the coroner and immediately went to the house. Upon arrival it was obvious that someone had "liberated" a dozen or so firearms from the bedroom. Some people are a piece of work.
I have seen neighbors take lawn equipment and lawn furniture when the owner went into a nursing home. It defies logic. Dave
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: STOLEN Johnson signs in Cleveland, OK - Sun Feb 01 2015 08:50 AM
I hate liars and thieves!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk