Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: MORE RUST Texaco Pump Plate - Tue Mar 17 2015 02:49 PM
I am old but a newby to original sign collecting. I would like to be able to tell the difference between a real verses a fake Texaco and Mobil pump plate. I know if it is thin and has a newish shiny back it is a repro but what about the heavy porcelain type reproductions? Is there a tell-tell sign color of the back or mark to look out for. I am familiar with the 12 inch size fakes. And reading a lot on here the past several weeks. I am going to a sign/gas auction next week. Do the fakes have dates on them also? Any helpful information to make a intelligent bid is really appreciated.

Jim
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Texaco Pump Plate - Tue Mar 17 2015 03:32 PM
For Mobil you might start with the "Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Sign" part of this forum. I listed a few different Mobil signs in that section. If you click on the photo it will take you to another page with a description of what makes the sign a repro. and what to look for. Your question a hard one to answer in a couple sentences as there are lots of variables with Mobil pump plates!
Also use the search box on here, there have been plenty of discussions on Mobil plates in particular over the years and some hints on what to look for on an original.
Good luck,
Darin
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk