Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: itsagas Prestone Decals - Tue Feb 16 2010 04:31 PM
I would like to find a set of Prestone decals for my water can that I will be restoring. Like these:

Let me know if anyone has some or know of someone making them.
Thanks
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Prestone Decals - Tue Feb 16 2010 06:08 PM
Ask Dick Bennett and if he isn't able, you can check with T-WAY on this site. Either do great work, if they are able to duplicate it!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 17 2010 02:43 AM
Send me a better image or post in a PM w/ ?" x ?"
Posted By: George Johnston Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 17 2010 12:30 PM
I am also looking for those decals.
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 17 2010 02:55 PM
Hey guys.

Here is what I have done. Overall size is 5" tall by 7.5" wide. But as usual, It can be output at ANY size you need.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: huskybob Re: Prestone Decals - Fri Feb 19 2010 02:59 AM
Hey Dick....... can you make one that matches the one that itsagas has??
Posted By: George Johnston Re: Prestone Decals - Sat Feb 20 2010 04:31 PM
T-way, did you get my pm. I would like to order some decals of prostone. Thanks George
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Mon Feb 22 2010 01:54 PM
HuskyBob:

The one I show IS the same as the one Itsagas posted.

---------------------

George:

I'll have your decals for you at Peotone.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: rd_signs Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 24 2010 01:43 AM
WOW, T way, those are awesome. Are they water transfer, or vinyl?
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 24 2010 02:06 PM
rd_signs:

They're very thin vinyl that come with a 'carrier paper' over the top - just like the vinyl lettering you would get at a sign shop.

Peel off the backing sheet and position them where you want them - then squegee them down firmly and slowly peel off the carrier paper.

You can use a bit of Windex or soapy water to help you slide them if you want - but it's not necessary if you just take the time to make sure of your location before application.

If you do use Windex/water - you should wait 24 hours before peeling off the carrier paper. This allows the Windex/water to evaporate and will ensure that the decal doesn't slip out of place during the removal of the carrier paper.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 24 2010 02:18 PM
Jim,
Great job on the decals. I could never do anything like that.

Is there a way to darken the blue to a navy blue?
Mark
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Wed Feb 24 2010 02:32 PM
Mark:

That actually is a Navy Blue. It prints darker than it looks on the screen.

When you see 'art' or 'photos' on a computer screen, they are producing their own light source. So they appear brighter than a printed piece of art or a photo.

When you see a printed piece, it is reflecting the light from the sun/light source so it is darker in color.

I hope that explains it.

And as usual, colors can be modified and output sizes can be adjusted to anything you need. That is the beauty of 'Vector' art - you don't lose any of the crispness of the art when you enlarge or reduce it. Whereas 'Pixel' art only gets better if it is reduced. Enlarging Pixels only makes the resolution get worse and the chrispness go away.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: huskybob Re: Prestone Decals - Sun Feb 28 2010 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: T-way
HuskyBob:

The one I show IS the same as the one Itsagas posted.

---------------------

George:

I'll have your decals for you at Peotone.

Later . . .

Jim

T-Way...... The reason I asked Dick if he could do a better match to the decal is that from all that I have read on Oldgas he does a very nice job and undoubtedly could really use the extra $$$ to help pay his medical expenses. He was the fist one mentioned in the thread and the first one to reply. Give the guy a break.
To me the picture that you produced does not match the one originally posted.
You can say what you want to about different light sources making colors appear differently, but I prefer to see the end result of something before I buy it and your image of the Prestone decal does not look the same as the one itsagas posted.
Are the "PRESTONE ANTI-FREEZE" letters going to be white or yellow?
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Sun Feb 28 2010 10:34 PM
HuskyBob:

Feel free to purchase your decals from any source you want.

I simply posted the art I already had in my system in case anybody wanted to get it from me.

As for colors or sizes - please re-read the last paragraph of my previous post.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Prestone Decals - Mon Mar 01 2010 04:03 PM
T-ways Prestone logo does print out much darker than it appears online.

T-way, thanks for the info. I have heard of vector art and it's scalability. Havent got a clue on how you make it versus pixel artwork(scans). Do you have to actually draw it on the computer?
Posted By: T-way Re: Prestone Decals - Mon Mar 01 2010 04:35 PM
Yes, Vector Art has to be drawn (or re-drawn) in the computer.

Once it is re-drawn, the computer 'describes' the various shapes with math data.
So . . . when you scale the art, the computer 'does the math' to reduce or enlarge the image with no loss of detail or resolution.

A scan (or Pixel art) on the other hand, is made up of thousands of small squares of color or Black-n-White. The higher the resolution, the more 'squares' per inch.

Once the scaned image is in the computer - that's all the information the computer has. You can make something crisper by reducing it. I.E. a 150 dots-per-inch scan reduced at 50% is now 300 dpi to the computer (and printer). But, if you enlarge it, your 150 dpi image at 200% is now only 75 dpi.

Think of the difference between a photograph and a Sunday Cartoon. The photograph represents a 'high resolution image' whereas the Cartoon would be 'low resolution'.

On the cartoon, you can actually see the various dots of color where the photo appears seamless.

This comparison is a gross example - but you get the idea.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Prestone Decals - Tue Mar 02 2010 12:12 AM
I can do the graphics, but not worth my time when Jim already has it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk