Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Miken Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:46 AM
I would like to get a wall sconce for one of my gas globes, but I'd like to come up with a way to make it rotate since I have two different lenses on it. I'm thinking Standard had something like this for one of their pumps. Any ideas how I can make this happen.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 02:01 AM
Standard had a rotator for their crown globes but it was with a 7 inch base. They're fairly rare but do come up every so often. Problem is how to reduce it to a 6 inch globe holder. If you're talented, you could probably fabricate something!
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 02:11 AM
I have ideas to make sure it doesn't fall off the wall. I'm just trying to think of what already rotates and take the parts out of it. I'd like to make it turn very slow like the rotating pub lights do. Kinda thought someone else might have had the same idea and found a way to make it work.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 02:39 AM
The Rotator made for the Crowns will NOT work for regular globes as the motor is too far offset from center. Someone has made a Rotator for 6"base globes. Not sure if it will work on Capco's through.
Mobil-100 posted a pic of a narrow 60 [in Gilmore] last week w/ a Rotator.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 03:02 AM
Plug should be down thru center, other wires are for switch.

Attached picture Crown Rotator.jpg
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 03:23 AM
I plan to use a glass body globe. These pics will help me come up with something. Thanks
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 03:28 AM
IF you mounted the motor below [inside pump top], should work on ANY globe
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 03:38 AM
Well what im doing is putting the globe on a wall sconce that will mounted on the wall. I thought it would be cool if I could come up with a way for it to rotate.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 03:48 AM
Maybe add a Final [ball] under neath to hide motor & balance out? Spin the ball in opposite direction?
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 04:08 AM
It may take some time but I will find a way to do it. I just think this would be something cool that others on here would want to do as well.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 04:11 AM
With the use of a Micro motor, anything is possible.
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 04:17 AM
I have some stuff on order so when it gets here ill be taking it apart to see what I can come up with. I'll have to go to Radio shack and see about the micro motor.
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 04:24 AM
In the mean time I found this if someone just wants to put the globe on the shelf and have it rotate. ebay 260749268301
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 05:33 AM
You could buy this and adapt it to your purpose.... http://www.gaspumpheaven.com/shop/product.php?productid=16700&cat=367&page=2
Posted By: blacktee Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 10:16 AM
Mike

Sent you a PM this morning.

Doug
Posted By: SuperAmerica Man Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 10:47 AM
Just have to search the site, alot of ideas on how to do it.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127056#Post127056
Posted By: T-way Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:20 PM
No one has mentioned this yet, so I'm gonna. LOL

I don't think the sconces available from the major restoration houses have enough distance from the wall to the 'cup' for the globe to rotate. I do beleive you will hit the wall first.

This one from Vic's 66 MAY work: http://www.vics66.com/store/gas-pumps/ga...num-wall-sconce

But I would not plan on using a glass body. That's an awful lot of weight hanging way off the wall by two mounting screws. Toss in the vibration of the motor and (to me) that's a receipe for disaster.

You will shave at least 6# of weight by using a CAPCO body.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Tue Mar 29 2011 01:47 PM
Scott
I never saw that. I'll have to get one of those.
Thanks

T-Way
Thats the sconce im going to use. To make it sturdy I was going to attach a back plate so it would have more screws in the wall. I did think about a Capco body to save on weight, but I dont think it has the same appeal as a glass body one.
Posted By: Miken Re: Rotating Globe - Wed Mar 30 2011 03:30 AM
This is what i've come up with. Going to cut off the base were the globe mounts to the wall sconce and then tack weld the rotating globe base on it that gas pump heaven sells.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Rotating Globe - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:23 AM
Keep us posted as to how it works out!
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Rotating Globe - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Plug should be down thru center, other wires are for switch.

Just a note on this Standard Oil rotator posted by Dick. The rotating wheel is in the wrong spot...it actually should be running on the OUTSIDE of the inner circle, not the inside like this one shows. Plug had an adapter to screw into the light socket that illuminated the globe. Small ball bearings run under the outer circle ....like a lazy susan.

Jim

Attached picture rotator.jpg
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Rotating Globe - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
The rotating wheel is in the wrong spot...it actually should be running on the OUTSIDE of the inner circle, not the inside like this one shows.

Yeah, but if you put the wheel on the inside, the globe spins way faster! LOL
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Rotating Globe - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:54 PM
Quickie picture.
I keep it in a box in shed so it don't matter!
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Rotating Globe - Thu Mar 31 2011 05:55 PM
I just thought that little trivia might help if someone wanted to copy it...it would not work the way it is. Never know...more info might help someone?

Jim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk