Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bmclemore Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Wed Jul 28 2010 10:55 PM
Thermometer is no longer for sale, it is a possible Repop. Sorry guys If it is, didn't know it.

Barry
Posted By: PopMachineShop Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Mon Aug 02 2010 12:38 PM
post a picture, i'll let you know if repopped or not.
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Mon Aug 02 2010 04:11 PM
Here's a link to another thread with pictures, It's the donasco. Thanks

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196315#Post196315
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Mon Aug 02 2010 10:53 PM
your thermometer is made by danasco. donasco made a variety of advertising thermometers dating back to the 1940's. most of you guys should be familiar with some of their more common 26in X 10in thermometers featuring rc cola, dr pepper, barqs rootbeer. the coke bottle thermometer can be found in 12 or so different versions and they have used it over the last 80 years for the purpase of advertising. were the licensing rights purchase by donasco and then sold to the mass public through retail chains for $6.99.....i am not sure??? was donasco contracted by coca cola to make 10,000 units to be handed out to vendors, and customers selleng coke products??? this is an extrememly common thermometer, and because it can be confused with the other versions of the same thermomter; this is the reason people mistake it for a reproduction!!! i dont believe this thermometer was intended to be sold in kmart. this thermomter was made in the usa. the tab on the top is more expensive to incorporate into the sign than drilling a hole in the top!!!! this is just my opinion and would love to hear any opposition.........can anyone teach me different????
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Mon Aug 02 2010 11:47 PM
If the thirst knows no season was made in canada it could be an org. but petrettl's 11th edition only lists two version and they are from canada
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:14 AM
I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE THAT THE ROBERTSON VERSION WAS THE ORIGINAL VERSION MADE IN THE 50'S AND 60'S. KEEP IN MIND THAT IT'S AN A.C.L. LABELED BOTTLE NOT AN EMBOSSED. A.C.L. BOTTLES WERE INTRO'D AROUND 1955-56 AND REPLACED EMBOSSED BOTTLES COMPLETELY BY THE EARLY 60'S OVERALL.

I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT WHILE THE DONASCO VERSION IS NOT SO MUCH A REPRO, BUT A NEWER VERSION (70'S-80'S) OF THE ROBERTSON ORIGINAL. ANY DONASCO BOTTLE THERMOMETER I'VE SEEN IS ALWAYS PRACTICALLY MINT. I HAVE SEVERAL THAT I BOUGHT BACK IN THE EARLY 80'S IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOX.

THE THERMOMETER IN QUESTION DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP IN THE PETRETTI 12th EDITION UNDER THERMOMETERS (ROBERTSON OR DONASCO). I ALSO BROWSED THRU 4 EDITIONS OF THE B.J. SUMMERS GUIDES AND IT DOES NOT SHOW UP THERE EITHER....MAKES YA WONDER.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:42 AM
here are the two that I have had and sold, they are the only two versions of the Coca Cola silhouette PORCELAIN thermometer I know of and they are both Canadian ST 39 & 41 ( St. Thomas Metal signs ) Ontario Canada.

Attached picture Coke Silouette thermometer professionaly restored.JPG
Attached picture Coca Cola Silouette thermometer green one.JPG
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 01:00 AM
I believe the Donasco thermometer in question is in Petretti's 11th, page 304, I just found it. Looking at the picture with a magnifying glass all the markings and degree increments are the same as the thermometer that was up for sale. In the book it's listed as 1950's. What do you guys think?

Item number in Petretti's 11th is PTH022.001
It is not the silhouette girl thermometer.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 01:23 AM
Barry, what is the little number at the bottom of the Celsius side read?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 01:53 AM
I have a Donasco Coke thermometer also, but mine only has the temps in Fahrenheit.

For what I paid for it, figured it was a repop, plus have be told that Donasco thermometers were made in the late 60s. The thermometer came loose so I had to re-epoxy it in place.

How can one tell, if a thermometer is original?
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: MetroPetro
Barry, what is the little number at the bottom of the Celsius side read?

54 Whoa! I didn't notice that before! That might be the year? Good eyes MetroPetro
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:21 AM
ACL's were introduced in 1934 (or were you specifically referring to Coke using ACL's beg. in the 50's?)
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:24 AM
Here's a picture of the number
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:28 AM
On a Donasco, that is some sort of reference number, not a date. I have several dated Barq's Donasco's from the 50's and 60's that have various numbers (45,47) in that same area. One clue might be to ascertain when Celcius appeared on them.
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:32 AM
So..would they put "reference numbers" on repops?
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 03:19 AM
Good question. I just looked at a bunch on ebay and did not see the reference number on any of them (I did not look at every one, just enough to get a sense of what might be). Sorry, but I don't know enough about Coke stuff to say one way or the other although my leaning is that it is "original", just not sure of when it's from.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:22 PM
Doc

I would love to see the original box or packaging for this thermometer. This would clear up the thermometers original intention. Plain brown box would indicate that it was to be dispersed through coca cola. Colorful print and barcodes, ect would indicate a reproduction??? Just because it was made in the 1980's doesn't mean it is repop. I don't believe this thermometrs original intention was to offer a cheap alternative to the earlier version. Regardless, the therm is a great entry level piece that is inexpensive and extremeley popular!!!! I love this site for this very reason...... Thanks for the discussion!!!!
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 12:51 PM
I've seen TCA on the bottom as well of the bottle therms
Thermometer Corporation of America Springfield Ohio

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/iteml/559284-rl9300#pic1

The ones I see in "antique" shops now are made in Mexico.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Tue Aug 03 2010 02:54 PM
I WAS TOLD THAT THE NUMBER ON A THERMOMETER SCALE WOULD REFERENCE THE TUBE SIZE IN CASE IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED, NOT A YEAR.

I AM TALKING ABOUT COKE BOTTLES ONLY WHEN REFERENCING THEIR CHANGE FROM EMBOSSED TO A.C.L. PAINTED LABEL BOTTLES IN THE MID-50'S.
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Wed Aug 04 2010 12:56 AM
where the threm. says trade mark with a circle around the (R) it could not be older than 60s
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Wed Aug 04 2010 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: coheley5
where the threm. says trade mark with a circle around the (R) it could not be older than 60s

Good information. Could you tell me where you found it at? I would like to read up on it.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Wed Aug 04 2010 02:13 AM
Yes, please do on the trademark info. if you have it available. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to find when companies began using "Trade Mark Reg." to no avail. I have some advertising labeled this way and then some from the same company with no trade mark (which, by the way, at some point the words were joined together to just be "trademark")identification. It is my understanding that all advertising a company put out had to have the mark once they registered it. But, I do not know that for a fact.

Thanks
Posted By: rayandjulie Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 01:29 AM
I also have this thermometer,that I have been trying to find info on.Ive seen one on a coca cola site where in 2007 it went at auction for 600.00.I have been all over this computer looking for someone to help me.You will see the numbers on the bottom ,which I am pretty sure ,when It was made.Also I read an article,which said the ones with the thermometer off to the left and with green background are extremely rare.Any info would be so appreciated.

I do have photos of the sign but they are too large to upload. I would be happy to email them to those who are interested.
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 01:53 AM
I know a little about the Coke bottle therms. Ive sold about 15 in my time. The Donasco is a legit that started this post.

In my experience the most desirable among collectors is the TCA edition. The Donascos I've only sold for maybe $70-ish. The TCAs usually sell for $100. I had one in its original box one time that sold for $130.

Maybe this helps.
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 02:14 AM
Go to thecoca-colacompany.com/heritage and look for Trademark chronology. The photo below is what you are looking for but I am not sure you can read the one I downloaded.

Attached picture phpYEelvlPM.jpg
Posted By: Carl Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 03:22 AM
TCA is a repro of the original Donasco..PERIOD.
Posted By: JimT Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 10:09 AM
rayandjulie -you are talking about the porcelain silhouette therm? The therm they are discussing here is the tin bottle therm. A few people got confused and posted/mixed in - the porcelain version into the discussion. This is an old post thats been brought back up with some previous good info. Personally I pass on these unless they are Robertson. I dont think by any stretch the TCA is the most desirable by collectors- Maybe decorators....
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 02:26 PM
As I said before look at the trade mark any thing with a R in a circle is not old buy a robertson therm if you want one
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Coca-Cola Bottle thermometer - Sun Jul 22 2012 03:33 PM
It may just be coincedence but I think the reason the people I've sold to seem to prefer the TCA version is they usually have a sturdier loop. Almost every Robertson or Donasco I've had the loop either broke or was about to.

Again this may not matter at all. I can only speak for my buyers.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk