Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: cans and stuff Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 01:03 AM
For the pump of the month this month I decided to do all Clockfaces. I think this should get a lot of intersting responses and a lot of pics of beautiful pumps because they didn't make a clockface that wasn't beautiful.
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 12:17 PM
I'll start the new month off with a couple of pics that I have posted before. If you're like me, you can never get enough of clockfaces. The first is a Tokheim 850, one of my favorite pumps. The other is an Erie.

Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 01:51 PM
My first time seeing the Erie , as always you do first class work . thanks for showing .
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 03:28 PM
I've seen a lot of so-called restorations on pumps but you really do a 1st class job. Great work Gary.

By the way, what is your address, where are the pumps located, do you have a big dog and when is the next time you will be out of town?
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 03:28 PM
Yeah Gary, great job on the Erie!
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 05:28 PM
Drool Drool Drool
hubba
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: Pump of the month for April - Sun Mar 30 2003 08:11 PM
Where's Lance? C'mon pogo post your beloved clockfaces.
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 01:43 AM
Here are four beauties that are awaiting restoration. Tokheim 850, Bowser Xacto Sentry, Tokheim 950, G&B 105.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 11:49 AM
Awesome Don, just awaesome. What great pumps! Even though the General Petro Museum has left the left coast, I think it could easily be replaced.
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 04:09 PM
more drool , more drool . - I totally love clockfaces but have none in my collection yet. I do have an old Bowser Xacto sentry but it didnt have the clockface part in it - I think someone swiped it years ago and someone fabricated some sheetmetal to replace it -

It makes a cool back porch light - but someday if I ever find the clockface for it I will be super happy. Keep posting those great clockface pumps and I will keep drooling.
Hubba
Posted By: Morgan Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 08:13 PM
Doc, I lust for the rust!!! Great pumps.

Hubba, that's a pretty cool idea.
Posted By: midway oil Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 08:26 PM
Gary, your Tokheim Volumeter is SUPER!! Nice job!! They are hard to beat!!
Posted By: Utahsignguy Re: Pump of the month for April - Mon Mar 31 2003 10:30 PM
Here are a couple of pumps out in the garage. One is a Wayne 861 and the other is a Service Station Equipment Co. model 154. The SSE 154 is a rare variation of the Bennett 150.

[This message has been edited by Utahsignguy (edited 03-31-2003).]
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 12:09 AM
Hey guys,check out page 70-71 of Jack's book for a close up of the SSEC/Bennett 154 faceplate. Although the book is showing a 134, they look identical. Very cool faces. Hey Utah, you related to Tim Rohr?
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 01:42 AM
Here's my contributions to your pump of the month post. The first is an American 2237-D Double that found me...this woman nearby had bought a hobbie farm and was cleaning it up. She called in a scrap iron guy to pick up the junk,including this pump. Her father happened to visit her and told her he knew a guy (me!)that might pay something for it and not to let the scrap guy take it until she checked with me.
The second pump is a Butler 34-C cash recorder. And the third may be stretching the subject a bit but it is a Themis clock-visible from France. Someday soon I hope to find time to restore them.

Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 02:02 AM
Mr Wadhams, I'm gonna have to share Hubba's drool bucket. That cash recorder is absolutely gorgeous! What a great collection of roadside relics.
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 02:08 AM
Hey Gary - my drool bucket is fillin up fast - but i have another close by - LOL
hubba
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 04:29 AM
Here is my homemade twin 300

and a 300 that I have loaned to the California Oil Museum
Posted By: dodogas Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 05:38 AM
Geez I think its time to start fabricating another batch of DROOL BUCKETS, looks like the demand is getting up there. Pretty soon we will be easy to spot at shows and swaps...we're the guys running around with the drool buckets strapped around our necks and JACK'S BOOK tm hanging out of our back pockets like a truckers wallet!!!
Some seriously cool and rare and truly beautiful pumps being posted. Some of these are true works of art and excellent examples of the styles and designs of the era.
Thankfully many of us have taken it upon ourselves to preserve these for the future. Most of us were'nt even born when these were made... keep up the "PARADE of PUMPS"......DODOGAS
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 06:10 AM
Well Said Dodogas.

Hubba
Posted By: fast66 Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 02:07 PM
Very nice pumps everyone!
Well this would be my only chance to get a pump into "pump of the month" since I don't own any American pumps as of yet.
Anyway, the Swedish Ljungmans brand used clockface meters until 1955 when their first model using a Veeder-Root came out on the market. I'll post one Model 50 from 1948 and a model 76 (1952), both awaiting resto. The third pump is a model STAR 281 mix, used to mix in up to 6% if oil in the gas.

cherio,
Claes

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 04-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 04-02-2003).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 02:46 PM
I wish there were more, give me a couple more years...........

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 04-01-2003).]
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 03:29 PM
Awesome POGO - Thanks for the peek - Too cool - you can never have too many Clockfaces.
Hubba
Posted By: danceswithpumps Re: Pump of the month for April - Tue Apr 01 2003 08:29 PM
Great looking pumps, guys! I'm having Jim Potts post my 850 Tokheim shortly. Glad we didn't sell it for the $600 four or five years ago a local collector offered. It was used here on the family farm between 1948-85. Seeing his work encouraged me to get interested in pumps and go on to get 10 more pumps. I think most of you can relate to this.
Keep the pics coming guys. It's really great to see all of these clockfaces, restored or in their original condition.
Rod

Edit to add pump image

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 04-01-2003).]
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Wed Apr 02 2003 12:10 AM
Here are a couple of rare ones not often seen. The first is an American 550. The clockface version is not even in Jack's book. Very art deco-ish. The second is a National B-1. Just a clockface version of the 38. I'll get around to restoring them someday...maybe. and
No need for the drool bucket on these two Hubba...maybe a rust bucket.

[This message has been edited by Gary Drye (edited 04-01-2003).]
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Pump of the month for April - Wed Apr 02 2003 12:25 AM
Here is a Gilbert & Barker 87-1. An intersting story to go along with it. This was the first clockface I owned. At the time,very, very nice Tokheim 39's were selling for $25-$50. This clockface set me back a ridiculous 150 bucks. As I wasn't restoring pumps then, I had to get it restored! That was another $400-$500. No way was I going to let my wife know I had around $600 tied up in this old pump! How things have changed...except I still don't let the wife know what this stuff cost!!!
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Wed Apr 02 2003 12:40 AM
Hey Gary - Killer Pump. I too know all to well to shave a couple of bucks off the price when discussing things with my wife Ginni. She's very cool and all ...just more sensible with money than me. I just think its sensible to invest in the stuff you like that will go up in value - I tell both my kids when I kick the ole drool bucket and meet my maker - do not sell this old gas crap for a song and a dance - be smart get what its worth. I would rolling over in my grave if they traded some original globe for a pack of yugioh cards or something. Gotta train them when they are young :-)
Hubba
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Pump of the month for April - Wed Apr 02 2003 03:18 AM
DJ,
Tell your kids, I'll trade them 3 Beanie Babies for ea. 36B top [and they can keep the pump].
Dick
Posted By: djhubba Re: Pump of the month for April - Fri Apr 04 2003 02:08 AM
Hey Dick - Thanks but i think you already have the top - LOL - My 36b didnt have one when I got it - I need one though if youre looking to add to youre beenie baby collection - hahaha. Thanks my friend :-)
hubba

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 04-03-2003).]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk