Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 01 2004 02:14 PM
The Gilmore Oil Co. Story:
First let me tell you guys, that I have no right trying to educate anyone on this company! My Gilmore collection consist of one oil can. This is my attempt to HTH (Help the Hobby)as Dwaine would say. The information I share here with you, I found from other collectors and articles. I have several photos of Gilmore items to share, but they have come from the internet or other collections. I'm hoping that some of you have Gilmore items that you post photos of.

Here we go:
Gilmore was more than an oil company! In Los Angeles, Gilmore was a way of life. You will hear references to Dairy farms, Lion Cubs, Race cars, Farmers Markets, Hollywood stars, Airplane sponsorship, Baseball teams, and even the Indy 500.

THE DAIRY FARM:

Arthur Fremont Gilmore had no plans for a world-renowned institution when he moved to Los Angeles from Illinois in 1870. Rather, he was seeking a new home for his family on the promising West Coast.

With a partner, A.F. Gilmore purchased two ranches in the Los Angeles vicinity. The purchase inaugurated a string of serendipitous events which not even the far- sighted Gilmore could predict. When Gilmore and his partner elected to dissolve their arrangement, they drew straws - Gilmore's straw secured 256 acres on which he created a highly successful dairy farm.

At the turn of the century, while drilling for water for his herd of dairy cows, A.F. Gilmore hit oil.

LETS SELL GAS:
By 1905, the dairy was gone and the Gilmore Oil Company was well on its way to providing the fuel to power the coming automobile age.

In 1921, Earl Bell Gilmore, Arthur's son, went on to create a vast oil and gas distribution network. The auto industry was producing more than four million cars each year, and with a healthy portion of those headed for California and Los Angeles, Gilmore's independent oil company became the largest in the west.

Gilmore's flair for promotion made his gas stations a popular part of the Western landscape. "Blu-Green" gas, the famous "Red Lion," "Gas-a-terias" (now called self-serve stations), and radio jingles which people hummed, were examples of his successful promotions. E.B. Gilmore rarely missed an opportunity to serve the public whose trade had built his enterprise - and in Los Angeles in the 1930s and '40s, he gave them sports.

RACE CARS
In 1934, a few months before Farmers Market opened (more on Farmers Market later), Gilmore built the first race car track designed specifically for midget racers, a venue built of love and commercial savvy. Gilmore loved racers and his marketing sense led him to support them as a "demonstration" of Gilmore Oil products.

His romance with cars extended well beyond the construction of Gilmore Stadium. As a sponsor, E.B. Gilmore took vehicles to the Winner's Circle at the Indianapolis 500. As a patron, he helped establish a land speed record which lasted for eight years. As a businessman, he created "Economy Runs" which evolved into modern stock car racing. In 1987, E.B. Gilmore was elected to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of fame.

Gilmore Stadium, located on Beverly Boulevard, just to the north of the La Brea Tar pits in Los Angeles, was a 1/5 mile stadium built in 1934 by Earl Gilmore to host midget racing. It was expanded to 1/4 miles in 1936, and had a crushed granite surface. The land was purchased in 1950 by CBS Television, and the last race was held on the 23rd November 1950..

FARMERS MARKET:
In July 1934, a contingent of farmers pulled their trucks onto an expanse of empty land at the property known as Gilmore Island, at the corner of Third and Fairfax in Los Angeles, and displayed their produce on the tailgates of their vehicles.
Customers quickly arrived and parked their cars on a hastily created dirt parking lot in spaces designated with chalk. They strolled among the trucks purchasing
fruit, vegetables and flowers.

The atmosphere was casual, the open air commerce enticing, the goods fresh, and the result remarkable. Farmers Market became an instant institution.

Roger Dahlhjelm and Fred Beck, two entrepreneurs trying to make the best of the Depression, approached E.B. Gilmore with "An Idea." Perhaps they were attracted by Gilmore's marketing flair or perhaps it was his expansive acreage in close proximity to the booming Los Angeles community.

Whatever the motivation, Dahlhjelm and Beck envisioned a "Village Square" where artisans would sell handmade goods - pottery, furniture, textiles - from stalls surrounding a central market where farmers would sell their produce to housewives. Dahlhjelm and Beck had architectural renderings and a vast vision.

E.B. Gilmore had a large vacant field, and the "Idea" was given life. The concept of elaborate architecture gave way to wooden stalls, and the vast vision gave way to a modest business approach - farmers were charged a mere 50˘ per day "rent" - but the "Idea" had a power all its own.

Farmers Market reached and surpassed the lofty vision which launched it. By the time the decade had lapsed, the gross was greater than the predicted six million dollars, but commercial volume was the least of the Market's achievements

Farmers Market became the central meeting place for Angelenos - "Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax" is still one of the most common phrases in the city. It also became, and remains, the must-see tourist attraction in Southern California.

Farmers Market has been the home to circus acts, parades, petting zoos, and stargazing. It was also the source of a daily newspaper column which, at its height, rivaled "Dick Tracy" in popularity. Chef Baloni, the irrepressible Fred Beck, made his home here and offered cooking tips and Farmers Market recipes.

As a part of an expansion and reconstruction project in 1941, Farmers Market became the home of the Clock Tower, which has become an international landmark. In tribute to Earl B. Gilmore, Roger Dahlhjelm, and Fred Beck, the words "An Idea" were inscribed on the Clock Tower.

After 68 years, and undoubtedly 68 more, Farmers Market remains an idea whose time is now.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-02-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 01 2004 02:23 PM

Here is a photo I took at what is now "Farmers Market". In order to show the Gilmore family roots, this station was erected.

A closer look at the pumps.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 01 2004 07:30 PM
[img]hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/gilquart[/img]

[This message has been edited by cans and stuff (edited 11-01-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 01 2004 09:43 PM
HERE ARE A COUPLE OF MAPS:

---------------------------------------------------------
DOC @ TAG/WEST
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 02 2004 12:06 AM
Gilmore Factoid: At its height, Gilmore Oil Company was the largest distributor of petroleum products in the western United States.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-02-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 02 2004 02:54 PM
Here's a little trivia on Gilmore Stadium...Gilmore Stadium, located on Beverly Boulevard, just to the north of the La Brea Tar pits in Los Angeles, was a 1/5 mile stadium built in 1934 by Earl Gilmore to host midget racing. It was expanded to 1/4 miles in 1936, and had a crushed granite surface. The land was purchased in 1950 by CBS Television, and the last race was held on the 23rd November 1950.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 02 2004 03:11 PM
Here's the photo of Ethan's quart can. Very Nice!
Posted By: Cessna195 Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 02 2004 04:21 PM
I do not know if this counts but my race car the Hunter Spl has a Gilmore Red Lion on the side. George Conner and Ted Horn drove it in 1935 at the Legion Ascot Racetrack and it ran against the Blue Green Spl, Red Lion Spl. and Lion Head Spl. When George Conner was alive he told me they used Gilmore fuel.

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 03 2004 03:37 PM
Geeze "Cessna195" what a beauty ! Where is Hubba's drool bucket?

Gilmore was remarkable when it came to advertising. The Gilmore Co. sponsered race cars and even racing airplanes.

This photo is of Roscoe Turner with a vintage streamlined aircraft taken during the 1932 National Air Races, marked in pencil on reverse: "1932 - WEDELL WILLIAMS 44 GILMORE RED LION RACER ~ COL. ROSCOE TURNER - PILOT & EARL B. GILMORE - PRESIDENT GILMORE OIL COMPANY". Gilmore the Flying Lion truck is visible in background.

Roscoe Turner, is probably the greatest air racing pilot of the Golden Age. Photographs of Turner's planes throughout his racing career tell the story of a man who had mastered the art of securing corporate sponsorships. Smith propellers, Pratt and Whitney motors, H. T. spark plugs, Bendix, Twentieth Century Pictures, Heinz 57, and Mac Millan Ring Free oil were just a few of the many names and logos to appear on the side of Turner's planes. In the ten years he raced, He set numerous transcontinental records, In 1933 he won the Shell Division of the MacRobertson International Air Race from London to Melbourne. In 1935 he finished an agonizing 23.5 seconds behind the winner in the Bendix Trophy Race, flying from Los Angeles, California to Cleveland, Ohio, and led the Thompson Trophy Race until the last half lap when his engine began trailing black smoke. In 1938 Roscoe was back with a brand new Laird/Turner Racer in which he placed second in the Golden Gate Trophy Race and won the Thompson Trophy Race for the second time. At the close of the 1939 Cleveland National Air Races at which he had won the Thompson Trophy for an unprecedented third time, Roscoe Turner announced his retirement from active competition. As America's premier speed flyer, Turner was a multiple winner of the Harmon and Henderson Trophies, and received a special Distinguished Flying Cross by Act of Congress in 1952.(Credit: Golden Age of Air Racing)

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: djhubba Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 04 2004 02:01 AM
Don...my drool bucket overfloweth for sure...I LOVE THIS COMPANY and was looking forward to seeing it this Month...Thanks Don for Hosting it and everyone who participates. Too cool

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: dodogas Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 04 2004 04:46 AM
Cessna, I love those old racecars, did you race at Ascot in the late 60,s?? I had a sprint car chassis I sold a while back it went to the original builder who raced it there. I have a pic from the Bowes Sealfast co of a Gilmore racer similar to yours. It has a heartshaped grill shell..dont know where it was taken.it has been modified by the artists, they added speedlines off the tires and sharpened up some outlines and features on it. In 96 I was at DelMar bike races and just a week or two after that they ran the cars like yours. There was a blue one on display with a Gemsa in it with Webers, cool car!

Anyone notice the Gilmore Lion cage behind the airplane ???

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 11-03-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 04 2004 09:26 PM
Heres a few items from David Kois, I'll let him tell you about them.

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 04 2004 10:15 PM

Here is a photo of the "Gilmore Lion Clubs".. “Gilmore” the Lion Cub was the official co-pilot of the Gilmore airplane which set inter-city air speed records (and promoted Gilmore Gas) through the ‘20s and ‘30s. Gilmore the Lion Cub is believed to have been the model for “Leo,” the MGM lion. Gilmore the Lion Cub logged more than 30,000 miles and won himself a place in the National Air & Space Museum

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 05 2004 05:13 PM

Here are some poster images from Gilmore's "Blue/Green" Gas advertising.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: T-BONE Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 02:55 PM
GREAT ARTICLE DON.. THANKS FOR THE INFO.. NOW WHERE DID I SEE THAT OLD GILMORE GLOBE AT THE OTHER DAY???? I THINK THE 2ND HAND STORE DOWN THE ROAD HAS A COUPLE ORIGINAL ONES.. WHEN I GET TIME THIS WINTER I'LL MEANDER ON DOWN THERE AND TRY TO DICKER ON THEIR $80.00 ASKING PRICE.. L.O.L!!!! DID GILMORE EVER HAVE A STATION IN IDAHO??? HOW ABOUT NEVADA???
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 03:45 PM
Good one Frankie! As far as where all the stations were? As far as I know Just Calif, Oregon, and Washington. But...I could be wrong. I have seen a book, that listed all of the stations, where they were, so that when you were traveling, you could plan your gasoline stops.
Does anyone have that book? Anyone have a better answer for this question?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 05:10 PM
Here are three different Gilmore cans from my collection. Ted
The first one is the harder one to find.

This one is more common but still hard to get in this condition.

This one is a hard one to find also especially in this condition. Ted
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 07:31 PM
A couple more Gilmore items. Ted
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 10:28 PM
Don, I think you're right. Gilmore was just in the west coast states. I have a list of where the stations were in King county (West. Washington state). I'll try to post some of my stuff (or e-mail it to Hubba). ROAR WITH GILMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 06 2004 11:49 PM

Here are two Gilmore License plate toppers ! Anyone know of different ones?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 07 2004 02:49 PM

Here is a Gilmore wood crate end, sent in by Richard Weir. I just noticed that this crate was for export to Auckland, New Zeland. Now that is just a little bit out of the "Western States" !

Here is a desk set paper weight, sent in by Scott Shippers. He found this great one at the Columbus show.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 07 2004 02:55 PM
Don, I guess you learn something everyday (hopefully), I've never seen the Gilmore logo with "Give me Gilmore" in the center. Richard, thanks for sharing !!!!!
Posted By: djhubba Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 07 2004 04:38 PM
I LOVE that "give me Gilmore" logo..i think its become my new motto...LOL VERY COOL

------------------
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 08 2004 02:53 PM

Elden Lewis (Vintage Logo's Co-founder)sent these photos in, and writes: 14" x 20" January 1938 Gilmore station paper hand out of "The Gilmore Cub" offering there "Purest Premium" Lion Head Motor Oil for 25 cents per quart that was pretty big money in those days. The Race car is what pulled the $$$ out of my pocket when I saw it at the Escalon gas bash earlier this year.

Great Piece Elden !

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 08 2004 11:54 PM

Here are a couple Gilmore posters recently seen at the Santa Rosa Bash.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 10 2004 12:30 AM

Yes, I know one of these is Mobil, but from what I've been able to determine, Gilmore/Mobil Oil had a close working relationship. I've seen numerous advertisings on Gilmore stations, to use Mobil Oil, or that they reccommend Mobil Oil.
Anyone know the exact reason for this?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-09-2004).]
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 10 2004 03:15 AM
Great job Don. I enjoy seeing all of the Gilmore stuff. In answer to your question about Mobil Oil being in Gilmore stations,This is a paragraph from a Mobil Oil book.
"Further expansion on the West Coast was accomplished with the 1940 purchase of controlling interest in California's most image-concious marketer, Gilmore Oil Company. Gilmore was nothing short of a flamboyant marketing company, an early sponsor of automobile racing and an excellent addition, through the General Petroleum subsidiary, to Mobilgas marketing. World War II intervened before Gilmore stations could be completely reimaged, but by the end of 1945 the "Red Lion" had jumped off into the western sunset, chased away by Socony-Vacuum's "Flying Red Horse."
During the transition from Gilmore to Mobil, the advertising and products were co-mingled. Thus a dual branded station.

REX
KYSOILMAN
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 11 2004 12:27 AM
Here are a couple rare mint Gilmore signs from a local CA. collector. Ted

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 11 2004 12:59 AM
Very early dbl sided curb sign

Traded it off a long time ago.
I thought it was UGLY !
DUMMY ME !!
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 11 2004 04:05 PM

Here are a couple of Gilmore banners.

Great old Sign Dick. Yes, I'm sure you are kicking yourself now!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 12 2004 11:37 PM

Here is a photo of a Gilmore hand sprayer/duster. Sorry about the poor photo, I took it through a glass display case. Ok, I learned my lesson. Yes, those are oil sample bottles behind the sprayer.

Here is a whole wall of great Gilmore neon, clock, signs etc.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-12-2004).]
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 12 2004 11:55 PM
Don, You are doing an outstanding job. Keep up the great work.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Missouri
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 13 2004 12:50 AM
Thanks Scott, these are not as easy as you all make it seem. My hat's off to those of you who do this every week, or every month! Whew?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 13 2004 12:59 AM
Here is a closeup of GILMORE SAMPLE BOTTLES.

Anyone ever hear of SMACK-O ? It's a GILMORE PRODUCT

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 11-12-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 13 2004 10:13 PM

Here is another advertising photo of some of the Gilmore planes.

And another Gilmore map.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: ss454elcamino5 Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 14 2004 02:37 AM
Don..... killer stuff these Gilmore items, Thanks.
Posted By: gaspower Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 14 2004 04:39 AM
Here are a couple of local stations circa 1938. Wonder what kind of noise it made when those globes landed in the garbage?

Photo credits to Puget Sound Regional Archives

Vern
Posted By: vintage-motorworks Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 15 2004 12:36 AM
Heres a gilmore record breakers news letter

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 15 2004 02:16 PM

Well, here is a great piece of Gilmore advertising with the lion. This was posted using the new and easy imageshack posting method that Jim has suggested. I'm sure that I'll see many more postings of great Gilmore items now that it's been made so easy to post photos.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-15-2004).]
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 15 2004 07:40 PM
Here a Gilmore tin sign that most of you have seen before. When I bought this one about 5 years ago the guy had a stack of them right from a wooden box. I helped Butch Greer get one also.

here it is with the paper very carefully taken off the sign face.

here's probley the most rare of all the Gilmore sign pump plates.

------------------
Dwaine.
www.vintage-logos.com
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html[/URL]

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 11-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 11-15-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 15 2004 10:31 PM

Fantasy restroom key holders.......

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 15 2004 10:41 PM

This photo was sent in by Rex Benson, of Original Gilmore globes at the GPM auction. Here are the prices.
left to right
BLUE GREEN 1-LENS $10,250
RED LION 2 LENSES $18,500
ROAR GILMORE 1 LENS MINOR STAIN $7000
GILMORE ETHYL 1 LENS $3500
Plus 10% BP
Alot of bread,Thanks Rex

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Posted By: Utahsignguy Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 16 2004 01:40 AM
Here are a couple of signs that a lot of you have probably seen before.

Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 16 2004 04:17 AM
Here's a bit-more Gilmore.

From the Baja Cantina Grill & Filling Station in Carmel Valley, California.
Posted By: aquaelvis Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 16 2004 03:10 PM
Maybe some of you guys will know more about this sign than I do. This was a pic I took at Roy Reed's bash last year.
I think the story on this sign was that it is original, hand painted on wood. I want to say it was on the Gilmore stadium? (in LA) It is very early. I think he wanted about $10,000 for it.
It looked pretty real to me, at least it looked pretty old.
Anyone else know anything about it?
Posted By: aquaelvis Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 16 2004 03:13 PM
Here are a couple more pics from Roy Reed's. This is his gilmore stuff.

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 17 2004 01:01 AM
Jeff,
Alot of GILMORE signage was handpainted by the a local sign company [it saved on shipping & could be made to fit the building].
Dick
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 17 2004 06:56 PM

Cool old Gilmore Air guage.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-17-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 19 2004 02:48 PM

Here is an original Stadium poster from Gilmore Stadium, printed on a heavy thick poster paper. As a Gilmore C.O.T.M. Special, I am offering one of these posters to each member that wants one. (until I run out) You pay the postage, I'll give you the poster. I bought these from a guy who purchased them from the widow of a former Gilmore employee. She found them in the basement of her home after her husband passed. If I sandwich them between two pieces of cardboard, the shipping should average about $5.00ea. So, now is the time to own a very inexpensive piece of ORIGINAL GILMORE. I have about 20 of them, and will give them away until I run out. If you want one, email me at oltoydoc@pacbell.net and either paypal me, or send $5.00 to me at P.O. 567 Torrance,Ca. 90501

PLEASE GUYS, ONLY ONE POSTER EACH, SO AS MANY GUYS CAN GET THEM AS WANT THEM, THANKS!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-19-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 19 2004 02:56 PM

Here is a 1938 advertisement for Gilmore Oil's performance in the "Mileage Run". 22.8 MPG Using Gilmore products during the Yosemite competition.

Here is one of Gilmore's "Song Books" Advertised as the "Longest Song in the World", . "Blu-Green, the Longest Song in the World" was a regular feature of the "Gilmore Fun Circus" radio show sponsored by Gilmore Gas. Listeners submitted new verses to the song every week; three winners won a $5.00 book of Gilmore Oil coupons, a monthly winner won $100, and, with each new verse, the song grew longer and longer and longer

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-20-2004).]
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 01:23 AM
Don not only are you the host of COTM (GILMORE)you are giving us gifts.What a great guy -- what a great site.
BIG THANKS DON SHERWOOD YOU ARE A GOOD MAN!!
REX
KYSOILMAN
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 02:35 PM

Here are three different Gilmore Gas Stations. Notice the last one, is a Ford Dealership. Don't you just love the Pineview station, selling Rio Grande, Sinclair, and Gilmore products! You just gotta love the West Coast! No Rules!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 02:47 PM

Here is an old program from the Base Ball team "HollyWood Stars" playing at Gilmore Field.
Don't confuse Gilmore Field, with Gilmore Stadium. They were two different venues.
Gilmore Field was constructed in 1938 to accommodate the Hollywood Stars, a minor league professional baseball team owned by Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, and Cecil B. DeMille.
Perhaps the most intimate baseball venue ever created in a metropolitan area (home plate was exactly 34 feet from the seats, first and third bases only 24 feet away), Gilmore Field taught a generation of Angelenos to love baseball, and created the climate which, in 1957, helped persuade the owners of the Dodgers to move west.
As the stadium was so intimate, Fans seated in the bleachers carried on running conversations with the outfielders – usually during the game.
Sparky Anderson – later a successful manager and broadcaster – played for the Stars and so did Chuck Connors, “The Rifleman.”
Jayne Mansfield was “Miss Hollywood Stars” of 1955

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 02:56 PM

Here are a couple of Medals/Pins. I don't know the use of the "Record Breaker" medal. Possibly given to the Race Car Drivers after a competition?

The Lion Head one, I believe was actually an "oil change reminder". I will certainly appreciate any help if someone knows the true story on these!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 06:34 PM
Don thanks for offering the Gilmore Poster ,It's the only thing Gilmore that I will ever own ,or I should say be able to afford . It will be a nice addition to my collection . It was good talking to you today as well. Thanks again
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 06:36 PM
Don thanks for offering the Gilmore Poster ,It's the only thing Gilmore that I will ever own ,or I should say be able to afford . It will be a nice addition to my collection . It was good talking to you today as well. Thanks again
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 20 2004 11:57 PM
You are very welcome Chris. Anyone else need one? I still have some left. I'll be gone for a few days, so I might not answer you back right away, don't worry, I'll get in touch when I get back in town.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:17 PM

Here is a calendar that advertises Gilmore. Unfortunatly, I've been told that it's a fake. I've never met a "real Gilmore collector" that had one in his collection.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:20 PM

Here is a Gilmore Service pin, for years of service.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-21-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:23 PM

King for a Day. Honestly don't know how/why this was used. Any help anyone?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:25 PM

Here are two books of Gilmore matches. Very cool !

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:27 PM

Check your closets for old model cars. You never know, you might find a "Gilmore Racer"

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Nov 22 2004 11:55 PM

Notice the lion cage truck in the background.

Earl Gilmore with a delivery truck.

Fueling the "Lionhead Special" during a race.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 23 2004 02:43 AM
Don,
Nice pumps with the tanker truck.
WAYNE 515, BOWSER C-77 & a HAYS
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 02:49 PM

Boats, planes and cars. Racing is the theme today.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 02:52 PM

Now is that a great photo of a car coming at you or what?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 02:54 PM

Don't you just love the old Midget Racers?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 02:56 PM

1941 Racing program.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 02:58 PM

This may be a fantasy item, but what a beauty!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 03:01 PM

How about two different logos on the bottoms of maps?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Jarvis Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 07:29 PM
Great job guys... i love seeing the Gilmore stuff. I like the colors they used.
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Wed Nov 24 2004 10:42 PM
Scott Shipers sent me this button to post. It's currently on ebay.

Thanks Scott for helping out this month!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 25 2004 12:39 AM

Nice old Advertising piece.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 25 2004 12:41 AM

Here's another great poster

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 25 2004 12:42 AM

cool old Gilmore poster

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 25 2004 02:47 PM

Photos sent in by Scott Shipers. Thanks Scott! If anyone else has photos that they don't have time to post themselves, just send them to me, I'll get them on here. Let's make this the best Company of the Month we can.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Thu Nov 25 2004 02:54 PM

1941 Gilmore Lions Company magazine with great Tanker being filled.

Fishing and Hunting Guide for Calif., Oregon, and Washington.

Here you see an old Gilmore Ad. Look at the Gilmore Logo on the bottom it says "Monarch of All"

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 26 2004 01:25 AM
Doc,
You're doing a fantastic job with your COTM feature! I appreciate all the work you've put in to it.
Can't wait to see the next installment.
Bob
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 26 2004 02:40 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Bob!

These pictures show a Gilmore oil can, and the great raised letters on the ends.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 26 2004 02:44 PM

More paper advertising from the company.

What a great opportunity for advertising, when the 1932 Olympics are in your back yard. A pocket guide to the Olympics and Gilmore products.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Fri Nov 26 2004 02:45 PM

How about a No Smoking sign?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Nov 27 2004 02:42 PM

A Gilmore Globe, fender covers, bronze desk sets, oil cans and more

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sun Nov 28 2004 08:54 PM

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 02:45 PM

How about that spare tire cover? The wooden man, is a sign that you would normally see on top of the Gilmore station, holding the checkered flag.
Also, a nice display of oil cans.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-30-2004).]
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 02:47 PM

Gilmore Grease pails, flags, signs.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 02:51 PM

Two different match books, showing different Gilmore advertising on each side. This license plate attachment is cast iron.

Well, that's it on Gilmore Oil, hope you all enjoyed it. Thanks so much to those of you who shared photos with the rest of us. A big thanks to Steve Castelli, who allowed me to photograph his Gilmore collection.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 11-30-2004).]
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 07:06 PM
GREAT JOB DON!!!!
THANKS FOR ALL THE EFFORT YOU PUT IN I HATE TO SEE GILMORE GO.
THANKS FOR THE GILMORE POSTER.
REX
KUSOILMAN
Posted By: kmann Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 10:44 PM
and now as gilmore winds down, i would like to thank you all for sharing what you had on this company.. damn.. love the colors.. doubt if anything will surface on the east coast from this company... HAAAAAAAAAA.. but i know better... congrats mr. sherwood and all for a job well done..

kmann
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Tue Nov 30 2004 11:22 PM
WOW! DON JOB WELL DONE ON THIS UNIQUE OIL COMPANY. LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE GOT JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING THERE WAS FROM THEM. I TOTALLY ENJOYED IT ALL.....ESP. THE LION AND THE MANY P.O.S. ADS AND SIGNS. ANYTHING GILMORE IS AS SCARCE AS
HENS TEETH AS THIS REPORT IS ONE TO BE RESPECTED FOR IT'S VISUAL VALUES FOR SURE!
TOO BAD GILMORE AIN'T AROUND TODAY! ALWAYS LIKED OIL COMPANIES USING ANIMAL MASCOTS AND GILMORE IS ONE OF THEM!
GREAT JOB! ATTA-BOY! ENCORE!-ENCORE!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
YOUR COTM CO-HOST
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Dec 04 2004 12:29 AM
I agree with the East Coast Doc, Don Sherwood you did a fantastic job in putting together a great review of the Gilmore company, by the way I did recieve the Gilmore poster that you sent to me the other day , it to was fantastic, it is the only thing I have of Gilmore so it will take a high place in my collection ,Thanks again for offering it , I will copy all of this for future referance. I belive you covered it all ,Job well done
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Dec 04 2004 10:56 AM
Excellent job Don. You have way toooo much Gilmore stuff! LOL
Posted By: djhubba Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Sat Dec 04 2004 03:32 PM
Don..Fantastic Job on COTM...since I previously have hosted a COTM...I know how much work goes into it and from the bottom of my Heart I say Thanks and outstanding job well done Don. Doing a COTM on Gilmore is a bigger task since there isnt a whole klot out there about Gilmore and man o man...what a great Month its been. I love Gilmore stuff and it was a pleasure looking it all over. I felt like I was wearing an ultra huge drool bucket at John Clays House again...LOL Thanks again for all the work...BRAVO

------------------
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: "Co. of the Month" GILMORE OIL - Mon Dec 17 2012 11:08 PM
BTT..... For the Newer Members to enjoy!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk