Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Mon Feb 09 2009 02:36 AM
Lots of great information and pictures are available on previously posted topics on Shop Talk in past years. The trick is finding what you want.

To search:
* Click on "Search" on the menu bar above
* Click on the "Advanced" link
* On the Advanced Search Form, click on the forum you want to search from the list
* Type the words you want to search for in the "Keyword Search Terms" box (see tips below)
* Option: You may type in a Shop Talk member name in the "Display Name Search" box (spelling has to be perfect)
* Choose a Date Range. Recommended: Delete the 1 in the first "Newer than" box and select a blank space in the box that says "Week(s)" - Then enter a number and select "day, month or year" next to "Older Than"
* Click "Submit"

By selecting one or two forums and some limits on the dates searched, you get results more quickly and more relevant. Example: Searching only in Showcase and only older than 1 year.

Advanced Search Tips
Use +keyword for required keywords.
Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.
Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

Example:
+wayne +60
will find only topics with both those terms
wayne 60
will find all topics that mention wayne OR 60

If you are searching the Web, please use our Google search form at the bottom of this page in the blue box. Oldgas.com shares advertising revenue from Google when you use that form. Thanks!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Thu Sep 15 2011 06:10 PM
Another powerful and user-friendly option is to use Google to search only within Oldgas.com. Use the form below, making sure that "www.oldgas.com" is selected.

Google

To search for pictures in our Gas Station Image Album, use the form below to search only within our GasPumps.info for pumps, globes, oil cans and gas station photos.

Google

Posted By: Nicole Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Sat Oct 15 2011 01:20 AM
How do you cut and paste links. If I refer someone to an older thread that I sucessfully searched, I can 'cut and paste' the words to the link, but they copy as just text. Where/how do you copy a link?

tnx
Posted By: 1970mach Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Sat Oct 15 2011 09:24 AM
Nicole, when you cut and paste it into the reply box they will show up as text. once you submit the reply it will show as a clickable link.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Tue Oct 18 2011 02:35 PM
Most of the time a copied Web address will automatically turn into a clickable link when you post a message on this forum.

There are a few complicated URL addresses that won't automatically convert. If you don't have a blank space before and after the URL address, it won't convert to a link. And of course, if you miss just one letter of it, it won't link at all.

To be more certain of the outcome, click on the "New Topic" or "New Reply" or "Switch to Full Reply Screen"
button. Then, click on the tiny button above the text box to add a link. Looks like this:

Then paste your copied link in the box that pops up. Works 100% of the time if the link is copied 100%.
Posted By: Nicole Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Sat Oct 22 2011 01:15 AM
Thank you thank you Colin and Jim!

I cut and pasted one today for a new member and almost didn't go through with it, because like before, the copy thing looked extra long and not what I usually saw when others do it. That's where I usually gave up...then I checked with preview and there it was, shortened and underlined as a link. I even clicked on it in preview mode and got to the thread!

So thanks!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Fri Oct 17 2014 10:46 PM
Jim,
When I do an advanced search I always get the same number of responses (200). For example if I search'Texaco' in the "For sale with prices" for anything newer than 9 years (older than is blank and blank) I get 200 reponses back to July 2014. Is this the maximum number of responses? Can I get more than 200 responses? Also If I do the same search and put Older than 1 year and leave the newer tabs blank and blank, nothing comes up. Surely there are Texaco postings for sale older than one year. Please help. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: Oldgas Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Sat Oct 18 2014 12:22 AM
There is a limit of 200 links on the results pages. You can refine your search with additional words (as shown in the 1st post of this topic) to get more relevant results within the 200 limit. Or use the Google Custom Search (at the bottom right of this page) to search for multiple words without any special formatting.

The "For Sale Petroliana With Prices" forum only has roughly 6 months or so of topics in the forum. Older topics are archived into the "For Sale Petroliana Archive" to reduce confusion while keeping the pictures, prices and text as a great reference. It was very common before we archived older For Sale topics for new members to post "Is this available?" on a 5 year old For Sale topic.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: How to Search Through Old Topics on Shop Talk - Mon Oct 20 2014 03:04 AM
OK thanks for the help
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk