Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Sun Apr 19 2009 01:05 AM
Newer members and visiting non-members may not know about the advertising deal we have with eBay. The major portion of the funding needed to keep this site running comes from commissions from winning bids placed on eBay where the bidder got to the auction through a link provided by Oldgas.com.

Here's how to help:
* Click on the links listed on the "Right Now on eBay" auctions shown at the top of the page of several forums here as well as on our Auctions page. Click on "Auctions" at the top of this page.
* Use the eBay search form shown at the bottom of most Shop Talk forum pages.

Here's the fine print:
* Oldgas.com only gets a referral commission when the bidder who wins the auction, came to the auction from one of the links mentioned in the above paragraph.
* Direct links to eBay in forum messages now count as a referral. Oldgas.com now gets commission from those links.

We sincerely thank buyers who browse eBay by searching with the eBay search form we provide and clicking on the "Right Now on eBay" links we provide. It may take an extra step, but it makes all the difference helping to "keep the lights on here."
We really appreciate it when sellers put a link to their auction or their auction numbers in forum topics about their auction items. Bidders can just click on the link or copy the number and paste it into the eBay search search form at the bottom of Shop Talk pages.

If you paste a complete link to your eBay action in a forum message and it isn't clickable to go to the auction, the link may be too complicated. Click on the "Edit" button in your message right away. If your link has a question mark (?) in it, delete the question mark and everything to the right of it. That should make it work. If not, send me a message by clicking "Contact" at the top of the page and I'll fix it.

Sellers can highlight the Web address link of their auction and copy it. Then put your cursor in your forum topic message submission box and right click. Choose "Paste" from the drop-down menu. The link will appear there. Oldgas.com gets an advertising referral for it. This helps keep the site running.

Thanks!

Here is an example of an eBay link that you can copy from your eBay item and paste into your Oldgas.com forum post:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48x48x4Ori...s-Oil-Advertising-Sign-Neon/173883592789
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Jul 09 2010 12:15 PM
Jim
Just to make sure I understand this right. If we go onto ebay through this site and buy something it helps to support this site? I was under the impression you had to some way list it through this site for you to get anything.
Rick
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Jul 09 2010 12:36 PM
Hi Rick,
This works no matter who the seller is or how an item is listed on eBay.

The winning bidder in the eBay auction needs to get to that auction from a qualifying link on Oldgas.com as shown above -

"Here's how to help"
* Click on the links listed on the "Right Now on eBay" auctions shown at the top of the page of several forums here as well as on our Auctions page. Click on "Auctions" at the top of this page.
* Click on any link to eBay in an Oldgas.com forum thread when you want to bid and win
Thanks!
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Jul 16 2010 01:28 AM
Now is it any auction or just the ones at the top?
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Jul 16 2010 01:43 AM
The way I understand it, this applies to any auction, for any item (even non-petro) as long as you got to the item by using one of the ways listed.
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Jul 16 2010 01:58 AM
Sounds good to me. I don't buy much but have no problem going through the site.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Sun Mar 27 2011 07:30 PM
Thanks for everyone's support in using the "Right Now on eBay" links at the top of several forum sections and anywhere else on the Shop Talk forum. That IS what keeps this site funded and free to use.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Fri Dec 30 2011 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Newer members and visiting non-members may not know about the advertising deal we have with eBay. The major portion of the funding needed to keep this site running comes from commissions from winning bids placed on eBay where the bidder got to the auction through a link provided by Oldgas.com.

Here's how to help:
* Use the eBay search form shown at the bottom right of most Shop Talk forum pages.

Here's the fine print:
* Oldgas.com only gets a referral commission when the bidder who wins the auction, came to the auction from one of the links mentioned in the above paragraph.
* Direct links within a forum message don't count as a referral. Oldgas.com gets no commission from those links.

We sincerely thank buyers who browse eBay by searching with the eBay search form we provide and clicking on the "Right Now on eBay" links we provide. It may take an extra step, but it makes all the difference helping to "keep the lights on here."
We really appreciate it when sellers put their auction numbers in forum topics about their auction items. Bidders can copy the number and paste it into the eBay search search form at the bottom of Shop Talk pages.

Jim

I have a question for you, that might of been already answered from above. I want to know if a member copies the auction # and inserts it on said page at the box on the bottom. Pulls up the auction, bids $9.99 and then puts a snipe in later. Do you receive the commission on the ending price with the snipe? If the answer is No, seems an awful lot of members use the snipe option and you're losing money here. What about setting something up with ebay, with our memberships ID's, that anything we bid on you get the commission ? Another question, what happens if a member pulls the auction up, puts it on his/her watch list then bids later, with or without a snipe ?

Thanks for your Time, Doug
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Bidding on eBay through Oldgas.com - Sat Dec 31 2011 12:38 AM
#1 My understanding is that putting in a minimal early bid after being referred by a Search box or "Right Now on eBay" link on Oldgas.com will get us the referral credit even if later bids are placed directly or from snipe.

#2 I don't think there is a chance that any site can get automatic referral credit. They have a sophisticated tracking system that credits only "real" bids and referrals that come from a site.

#3 I doubt that putting an auction on your Watch List only will qualify for a referral credit. I think only actual bids are counted.

One big change in the last couple years is to give referral credit to a site that refers a runner-up bidder who posted a "quality bid" even if he didn't win. But I'm certain that they also track bidders who would play a game with that to generate referral credit repeatedly. Please don't try to play with the system in that way and get us kicked off the program.

We are getting dependable support from many of our members who are posting auction numbers of their own auctions and are bidding through our search box and page top links. It is working and paying the bills consistently. Thanks!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk