New Option for Easy Image Resizing

Posted by: Oldgas

New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Tue Aug 17 2010 05:22 PM

Resize smart phone pics with an app for quick and easy upload with both Android and iPhones:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=643449

We now have a resize option here on the forum. Upload to the new "EZ Image Resize" gallery and copy the "medium" code line shown to paste into your message where you are selling or asking a question:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=657757

I've added an option 8/7/2013 for resizing images to work well on uploads, since cranno.com has not been working.

On the New Topic and New Reply form is a Resize link just below File Manager. Click on that link to go to the new Resize Image Tool.

On the Resize page, register with your Shop Talk user name and password
You are not automatically registered. Click "Register" on upper right
After registering, click "Login" on upper right
Upload photo to be resized by clicking "Add Items" in your album
After upload, click the filename or thumbnail to view full resized image. Right click the full resized image and choose "Save."
Submit that saved image to the Shop Talk "File Manager" upload tool. (browse to find that saved image)
Do not link to the images within the Resize Tool. Others can not see the image in your album there.
Your "Quota" is the space you have. Delete prior images to open up space. That does not delete your image on the forum.

Do not delete your Resize Tool "album" as that is the space for your uploads.

Here is Oilcanman87's video tutorial on uploading pictures using our Resize Tool. First half is for iPhone and iPad and the second half is for PC computers.

Thanks, Oilcanman87 !

Let me know if you have problems, questions or comments.

This is not the ultimate solution, but I just got tired of waiting for the software developer to deliver the promised upgrade.

Pictures of the step-by-step File Manager image upload process:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post189696

Special image rotation instructions for iPhone:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=577092
Posted by: Hy-Flash 72

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Wed Aug 18 2010 11:04 AM

Thanks Jim,

That was a topic awhile ago about putting watermarks on pictures.

Randy
Posted by: K W FRITH

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Nov 27 2010 10:03 AM

Well I just tried it and it works fine! A lot easier than some other methods. Now if I can just remember it! LOL
Posted by: marty

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Feb 11 2011 09:30 PM

wow, have been trying to upload a pix for half hour, in 'what is it worth' and keep getting message, 'all fields not filled in' any ideas?
Posted by: Dick Bennett

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Feb 12 2011 11:07 PM

Before or After uploading a picture, there needs to be some text added to post.

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sun May 01 2011 04:53 PM

'all fields not filled in' means that at least one box on the submission form is empty. Type in a caption or other words in the "Post" text box.
Posted by: Vermonter

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Jul 08 2011 10:19 AM

I just thought I converted about 10 pics on canno and only the last one was resized. I am guessing that you have to hit "download" after each pic converts. I hit "convert more" and "download" when I was done thinking they would all download.

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sun Jul 17 2011 03:24 PM

The cranno.com site does not save your images, resized or original. So you have to download the one that you just did and then do another.
Posted by: MetroPetro

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Aug 27 2011 08:46 PM

Help, I have followed the instructions, resized to 640 x 480, but at the last step a screen informs me that "the photo is larger than 150 KB bytes". What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Posted by: big blazer

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Tue Apr 24 2012 06:06 PM

I am having this same problem.Have tried resizing 5 different times with the problem.What is going on?

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Tue Apr 24 2012 06:25 PM

A small percentage of images have a complicated number of colors and sharp tone variations that cause even a 640 x 480 image to exceed 150k.

The non-technical solution to this is either:

To resize to a smaller size - Enter "480 x 360" in the "Custom" size box on Cranno.com

or

To upload the image to ImageShack, PhotoBucket or another hosting service and use the img code in your message on Shop Talk. See the ImageShack Tutorial in the Shop talk Testing Area forum
Posted by: coopersplace

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Jul 29 2013 09:43 AM

Cranno has not been working for a few weeks now for me and I understand a few other members can't access it either. I switched to Free Online Picture Resizer: http://www.picresize.com/results which I find even easier because you can type both the image size you want, 640 x 480 or 480 x 640, and the actual maximum file size of 150 kbs. Cranno had a number of file sizes from small to large which didn't always correspond to the 150 file size I wanted. Cheers, Don.

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Wed Aug 07 2013 08:40 PM

In the first post of this topic, I edited in new instructions since cranno.com has not been working for doing an image resize. We now have a resize function here on Oldgas.com.
Posted by: Oilcanman87

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Aug 19 2013 03:55 PM

What happens if you delete your album and can't use this featchure

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Aug 19 2013 04:23 PM

Deleting your album would remove the space dedicated to upload your images to resize. You would no longer be able to use the Resize Tool.

If you deleted your album by accident, contact me by clicking on the "Contact" link on the upper right side of this page. I can delete your account there so you can start over fresh and then re-register at the Resize Tool again.
Posted by: redindianguy

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Sep 14 2013 08:09 PM

Trying this and its still saying after resize file is to big ??????

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Sep 14 2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: redindianguy
Trying this and its still saying after resize file is to big ??????

There is a remote possibility that the memory size could still be too big, but after thousands of images, I haven't see that happen yet with this resizing system.

I'm looking at the Resize Tool albums now and see a Harley-Davidson sign photo as the only one currently in your resize album. It was resized to 640x480 at 35k by the Resize Tool, well within the limit. I'll post it here in this reply as a File Manager attachment.

If you would have uploaded this image file, it would have worked fine. Perhaps you tried to upload a different file, or the original?
Posted by: muntzman

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Nov 01 2013 07:20 PM

I followed the new resize instructions/ function and it reduced the picture from 1.88 MB to 4.02 KB but it is still too large to upload via File Manager. What step am I missing?

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Nov 01 2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: muntzman
I followed the new resize instructions/ function and it reduced the picture from 1.88 MB to 4.02 KB but it is still too large to upload via File Manager. What step am I missing?

I looked at your space in the Resize Tool and there is nothing there. Hard for me to diagnose a problem with nothing to go on. I'll send you an email so you can send me the image file as an attachment.

Please try again to use the Resize Tool and let me know how far you got and where you had the problem. I can get it working for you. Please try again.

Click on the "Resize Image for File Manager" link on the "New Topic" or "Full Screen Reply" form.
Posted by: Nostalgiaguy

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sun Dec 08 2013 07:26 AM

Jim is Prestone thermometer oil related
Posted by: Speedracer

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Feb 10 2014 04:06 PM

I have a picture saved on my hard drive which I have resized with both Windows Photo Viewer and Microsoft Office Picture Manager (neither photo will work). If I right click on properties, the size is 79 x 75 pixels and is 20.0 kb. When I try to browse and save as my avatar I get the response "Improper picture type." Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Feb 10 2014 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Speedracer
When I try to browse and save as my avatar I get the response "Improper picture type." Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Sounds like the image is in a file type that is not one of the ones acceptable for upload.

The only image file formats that may be uploaded are: .gif, .jpg, .png These are the formats most widely used on Web sites. There are other computer image file formats such as .bmp, .tiff and others that are not accepted for avatars and File Manager uploads. The Windows 7 "Paint" program (found in Programs: Accessories) allows you to open a .bmp and some other formats, resize and save it as .jpg.

If you are unable to save it in a format mentioned, send it to me as an attachment to email. My email address is in my Profile. Click on my user name on the left and choose "Profile."

Nostalgia,
Antifreeze is an auto service can, so it is considered petroliana as defined in the For Sale Guidelines.
Posted by: Speedracer

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Mon Feb 10 2014 05:40 PM

That was it. Sorry I didn't catch that first. Thanks for the help.
Posted by: moparrecyclers

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Feb 14 2015 08:45 PM

Does the image resize tool still exist? I am not new to forums, but cannot locate my album or the resize image for file manager upload. I am a new member so thought this may have something to do with it?
Help.... I got pics I would love to share!

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Feb 14 2015 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: moparrecyclers
Does the image resize tool still exist? I am not new to forums, but cannot locate my album or the resize image for file manager upload. I am a new member so thought this may have something to do with it?
Help.... I got pics I would love to share!

The Resize Tool is working every day helping members resize images.

Did you read and follow the directions in the first post of this topic?
You have to separately register on the Resize Tool page. A private album is created there after you register there and login.

Click on "Contact" on the upper right on any forum page to contact me for individual help with using the Resize Tool if you still have problems.
Posted by: hawkike

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Nov 18 2016 09:34 PM

I do not see how this is easier to use than "paint" if that is available as it is to me.

shocked

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Nov 18 2016 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By hawkike
I do not see how this is easier to use than "paint" if that is available as it is to me. shocked

If you understand how to use Windows Paint it is an easy and fast way to resize photo images to 640 x 480, especially on Windows 7 and newer. Many people don't know how to use it.
Posted by: hawkike

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Fri Nov 18 2016 10:43 PM

Thanks Jim,appreciate the answer.

Try this,right click on your photo,click open with paint,click resize,i change the pixels to 800 click okay then click save as and it will be saved,you can also rename it if you want to.

Oh,800 pixels works well for emailing a picture. shocked
smile
Posted by: bones1932

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Aug 12 2017 03:41 PM

this is the most difficult website I have ever tried to navigate.its gotta be me because others are using it. thanks for letting me try

Re: New Option for Easy Image Resizing - Sat Aug 12 2017 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By bones1932
this is the most difficult website I have ever tried to navigate.its gotta be me because others are using it. thanks for letting me try

Welcome to Oldgas.com
Did you try to use the "EZ Image Resize" gallery?
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32

Click on "Contact" near the top of this page to get help. Tell me what you tried and how far you got. Users have uploaded over 200,000 images to our site. It is not a one click process, but learning it will open up a powerful way to communicate with others in the hobby.