Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Tue May 07 2013 07:07 PM
Which buyer earns a top priority standing, committing the seller to complete the deal with him?

Would it be the first to post, "PM Sent" or "I'll take it for your asking price" or these other situations?

Posted By: Oldgas Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 09 2013 02:15 AM
This is an opinion poll asking for the viewpoint of both buyers and sellers. This is not a vote to "set in stone" a contractual rule about how every transaction must go. It will show how the majority expects things to happen, while others may see things a different way.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 01:34 AM
Seller's choice. Hands down. His item, his decision.
Posted By: rogerg Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 02:03 AM
IMO...
if someone sends 'pm sent', they at least should get an opportunity to buy it
just because someone else post 'pm sent....i'll take it!' why should the 1st guy not be given the opportunity just because he didn't word it the same?

and if you send 'pm sent' and someone else sends 'pm sent...I'll take it'.......DON'T SEND THE SELLER A PM TELLING HIM WHAT YOU THINK OF WHAT HE DID! or your account will get locked up like mine!
Now I can't do anything on here without 'oldgas' preapproval

just saying......don't get ***** like I did!

as far as I know.....there is no 'get out of jail free' card on here....I'm just hosed!
Posted By: trifiver Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Richey

I agree with you Dave
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 01:11 PM
A lot of people will save a certain item to show to a fellow collector or friend and give them first chance at buying it. Often at a reduced price. This happens at shows or in person or by email. If I were to list an item for sale to the general group on old Gas, it would be sold to the first person that says "I will take it". There are countless "tire kickers" in the world. Sending a PM with a question without a commitment to buy in my opinion is only that, a question with no commitment. I am after a sale, not a question. The first guy that PMs with a question may or may not later commit to the sale, maybe after days or weeks. If you want it step up and say you will take it. Or even make it conditional, like "I will take it if it is porcelain, or if it is double sided, or if you will take $$ for it"
I lost out on the Sinclair aircraft sign listed on Old Gas a few weeks ago. I sent a PM, not the first, and I also was the first to post for all to see that I will take it. I did not get it, thats life. In the end, a person can sell their property to whoever they want but I think a person should sell it to the first person that steps up to the plate
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 01:21 PM
I agree with Wes. Am I brain dead? How do you vote?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 01:22 PM
Greg--You must be-LOL--It says voting ended on the 12th
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 01:23 PM
Doh!
Posted By: rogerg Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 03:36 PM
lesson learned I guess!

in the future i will not send 'pm sent'

and I will not care if someone has sent 'pm sent'

I will be what I believe to be rude and disrespectful, and I will always from now on send 'Pm sent....I will take it!'

If that is what it takes.....no more 'Minnesota nice!'

I sold a gas pump bonnett to Kevin Frith, some other guy had pm'd me with interest but no 'I'll take it' and I hadn't heard back from him in over a week. Kevin ended up selling the thing to the guy for the same money and shipping it to him just cuz he had 'expressed interest' ahead of him!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a stand-up guy IMO!!!!!!!

like I said....no more for me
it will ALWAYS be 'pm sent I'll take it' and I don't care who's toes I step on in the future......let's see how that flies on here!
That's all great and fine until you do it to one of the 'kings' on this site....

I feel I'm being SEVERELY punished because I sent a PM to the seller and told him what I thought.
I'm sure I'm not the first or last guy to send a PM to someone giving them an earful.
I've admitted that it was a mistake and I'm sorry and promised it would not happen again.....yet my account is still locked up.

REMEMBER....DON'T PM SELLER AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 10:12 PM
Quote:
I will be what I believe to be rude and disrespectful

That'll make ya Lots of friends, NOT.
Posted By: rogerg Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu May 16 2013 11:57 PM
My point exactly!

It was done to me and now my account is locked up!

Why should i care? When others dont and it seems to be the consensus that sellers will sell to whoever they want....and not be considerate of the guy sending a pm!

You see....i cant win!!!
Posted By: It's for sale Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 17 2013 12:38 AM
If a person posts "I'll take it" ,he should follow through in a reasonable time.
There have been a few times I never him from them again.
Works both ways on a sale.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 17 2013 12:42 AM
Roger,
I hope some day you'll realize you did this to yourself. You were rude and disrespectful to the seller by sending attack PMs and posting attack messages on his For Sale topic (removed).
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 17 2013 02:28 AM
"consensus that sellers will sell to whoever they want"
LOL. I have Told SEVERAL they can't afford something that I'm selling, whether it was at a Bash or a Swap Meet.
Their Attitude/LOW BALL offer & I refuse to sell the item[s].
Once I was offered $3 for a qt can marked @ $5. As the guy set the can down & reached for his wallet, I STOMPED the can. OK, NOW it's worth $3.
Some times it's fun being a Dick!
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 17 2013 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

LMAO Db, you have had a lot of years to practice! And perfected it quite nicely I might add. LMAO
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 17 2013 03:10 AM
Great story Dick, a friend did that same thing once at a show with a Pepsi clock.....stomped it flat! Priceless!!
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Fri May 24 2013 09:44 AM
Go Dick! I love it.
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu Jun 27 2013 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Richey

I agree with Dave. I make the choice. Here in person I mostly sell to the new guy or person with a smaller collection. I prefer to help them out as I am very much a small fish in the big sea also. My collection and income are small and I like to help others in the same boat. Screw the big time collectors that think they can buy anything they want from me.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Opinion Poll: Who is the top priority buyer? - Thu Jun 27 2013 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
"consensus that sellers will sell to whoever they want"
LOL. I have Told SEVERAL they can't afford something that I'm selling, whether it was at a Bash or a Swap Meet.
Their Attitude/LOW BALL offer & I refuse to sell the item[s].
Once I was offered $3 for a qt can marked @ $5. As the guy set the can down & reached for his wallet, I STOMPED the can. OK, NOW it's worth $3.

Can I recommend getting a GoPro video camera and start recording this kind of stuff... I might even pay to see that! would love to see that reaction
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk