Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas New Members & Selling Items - Tue May 13 2014 04:08 PM
We have had difficulties with some new members selling items in recent years. New members are not enabled to post New Topics in the For Sale forums until they have demonstrated knowledge of the forum and how our online community works with their posts. After 2 * such posts, including posting an image, new members may request an upgrade to regular privileges.

(* edit: Required posts reduced from 4 posts down to 2 posts)

I invite new members to post a New Topic on our Welcome New Member forum to introduce yourself or tell about your interests. (Items are not permitted to be offered for sale there)
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=20

New members may post New Topics in other forums, reply to any topic and read any topic to build an understanding of how our online community works.

Please read and follow the For Sale Guidelines:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161199

To request the upgrade to post New Threads on the For Sale forum sections, click on the "Contact" link near top of this page.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com
Posted By: goodyear36 Re: New Members & Selling Items - Mon Dec 15 2014 03:16 AM
I would like to upgrade my privileges so I can sell on old gas.
I posted enough and know how to upload pics.
Thanks Vince

who do I contact for this?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Tue Dec 16 2014 01:50 AM
Just click on "Contact" on the upper right of any page of the forum. Use the email address that you registered as your return address. That way I know who you are.
Posted By: shane Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Jan 02 2015 09:19 PM
new member trying to figure out how to use this forum. may be a long time before I will get to post picture but can use as a testing ground thanks in advance for patience
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun Jan 04 2015 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: shane
can use as a testing ground thanks in advance for patience

shane,
Our Testing Area forum where you can try out image uploads and posting:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11
You can also upload to Photobucket or other free hosts and use their forum code to post pictures here.

Read over the links in the Welcome email that you got from Oldgas.com when you joined.
Posted By: shane Re: New Members & Selling Items - Tue Jan 06 2015 02:29 AM
thanks, once i figure out wifes camera and getting photos to computer will give it a go.
Posted By: kybred76 Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu Jan 22 2015 08:16 PM
Navigating around well and figuring stuff out pretty quick, but had a question, I couldn't figure out on my own. I've noticed on some peoples post, after they post a picture of something, they reply to their post with:"bump". What does this mean? Thanks for your help, and please excuse my ignorance.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu Jan 22 2015 10:53 PM
They are bumping their for sale or wanted ad to the top of the index. Oldgas has a 72 hour bump rule.
Posted By: kybred76 Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Jan 23 2015 04:33 PM
Ok, got it now. Thanks for the explanation Ryan.
Posted By: rockytops Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Feb 06 2015 11:45 PM
thanks for the information..this is an awesome site!
Posted By: tbronckr Re: New Members & Selling Items - Mon Nov 07 2016 04:50 AM
Hi all, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could explain what BTT means on the listings in classified for sale?
thanks so much!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Mon Nov 07 2016 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By tbronckr
Hi all, new to the site and was wondering if anyone could explain what BTT means on the listings in classified for sale?
thanks so much!

BTT = Back To the Top
They are bumping their for sale or wanted ad to the top of the index. Oldgas.com has a minimum 72 hour bump rule.
Posted By: tbronckr Re: New Members & Selling Items - Mon Nov 07 2016 04:36 PM
Thanks so much Oldgas-Jim, and I am assuming that means that a posting selling member must wait at least 72 hours after listing the item/s or after a bump, before they can bump it again. If different please let me know. Just trying to get up to speed. It also appears that maybe some members compliment an item for sale by saying "like" or "nice" to bump it for them possibly? Or are members just very complimentary? Again, just learning. Thanks for all you do and for the site Jim "Oldgas" Potts!
Posted By: Deans Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Nov 18 2016 01:53 AM
Hi, my name is Dean and yes im new. This is somewhat of a confusing site? Do i have it right by saying i cannot post anything for sale until i have proven that i know what im doing? I must
Talk in the forum and post at least 8 pics before selling? us the forum the classifieds? Can i sell anywhete else on old gas? Pkesde help, little confused
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Nov 18 2016 03:01 AM
The rule is:
"New members are not enabled to post New Topics in the For Sale forums until they have demonstrated knowledge of the forum and how our online community works with their posts. After 4 such posts, including posting an image, new members may request an upgrade to regular privileges."

Posting a normally sized photo is required. The rule does not say "8 pics."

New members may sell on eBay and post an announcement about it on our "Online Auctions, eBay" section of the forum.

If you are still confused, you can read over the "Welcome... READ FIRST" email that we sent when you joined the forum, or send a message via the "Contact" link at the top of this page.
Posted By: Fill up Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun Aug 11 2019 03:06 PM
Hello, I am new to the site but am enjoying the exploration! It's a bit overwhelming to maneuver, but it's definitely worth the challenge.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun Aug 11 2019 04:01 PM
Try the Forum Help tab in the tool bar, it may give you some assistance in navigating the site.
Posted By: Fill up Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun Aug 11 2019 04:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will do!
Posted By: Clayspump Re: New Members & Selling Items - Wed Mar 11 2020 07:56 PM
thanks for allowing us to join. I will be posting some items for sale
Posted By: ClassicRocker Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun May 17 2020 01:33 PM
Should we post a pic in the New Members forum?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sun May 17 2020 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ClassicRocker
Should we post a pic in the New Members forum?

Yes, It is highly recommended that new members post a photo, or several, in the "Welcome New Members" section, showing items from their collection or photos that help us to get to know you.

On the the forum's post submission form, click on "Attachment Manager" to upload a photo into your message.
Here is a link to how to attach a photo to display in your message:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=703369
Posted By: GM Muscle Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Feb 05 2021 07:27 AM
Hello
Just wanted to know if I may request an upgrade to regular privileges.
I am very familiar with this site and how it works, all rules must be followed and Obeyed.
Thank you very much.
Ken
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: New Members & Selling Items - Fri Feb 05 2021 11:20 AM
To request an upgrade to sell or ask for help with using the forum, please click the "Contact" link near the top of most pages on Oldgas.com
Posted By: SFJOHN Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu May 27 2021 02:28 PM
Hi has and oil folks, just joined, been collecting signs for 43 years, but I am upset that fake, phony, reproduction signs are showing up everywhere. I usually can spot fakes easily, but the crooks are getting more clever. I was just interested and always try to learn more. If any of you have ways of spotting fakes and share your knowledge with flaws that are dead giveaways l think it will help everyone that wants to keep the hobby pure and not diluted with counterfeits. Thanks John
Posted By: SFJOHN Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu May 27 2021 03:14 PM
Hi. SFJOHN,here. Was hoping to get privileges to contact another member about an item that was for sale. I’m not very computer literate and am struggling trying to figure out how to navigate the site. When I took computer science in college we used IBM PUNCH CARDS. I hope that l am honoring protocol.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu May 27 2021 05:24 PM
To contact a member, login on the upper right on any Shop Talk page. Then click on the member's name to the left of a message he posted. Choose "Profile" to learn a member's email address or phone number. Some members hide their email address, so you'd need to send a PM Private Message. Sometimes a phone number in in a Profile.
Posted By: bunny143 Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sat Sep 18 2021 01:29 AM
I have 15 soda signs from the 1930s I would like to sell. I am asking for privileges to do that. My ex husband used his login for all oldgas communications so my usage was limited. This is all I have to sell so I really don’t have anything to post. Lol. I tried using the contact link to ask, but it is not working. Thank you! 😁
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Sat Sep 18 2021 12:07 PM
To request an upgrade to sell or ask for help with using the forum, please click the "Contact" link near the top of most pages on Oldgas.com.

The Contact form is working fine. All required boxes must be filled in properly.

Please read the For Sale Guidelines to see if you have met the qualifications:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161199
Posted By: kan kustom Re: New Members & Selling Items - Wed Apr 13 2022 06:30 PM
I have been on here for a long time. Have bought over the years from several members but I have never sold. My email was hacked several years ago and is now a different one. I have been trying to request an upgrade to sell on here but the procedure window wont let me get through. I can still get signed on to my account and get to my messages but can't reach a moderator. Please help, Kan kustom (my screen name).
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Wed Apr 13 2022 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by kan kustom
I have been on here for a long time. Have bought over the years from several members but I have never sold. My email was hacked several years ago and is now a different one. I have been trying to request an upgrade to sell on here but the procedure window wont let me get through. I can still get signed on to my account and get to my messages but can't reach a moderator. Please help, Kan kustom (my screen name).

Hi kan kustom,
We have 3 issues here. 1st issue: Changed email address. After you login on the forum, click on your user name at the login spot on the upper right of any forum page. Choose "Edit Profile" from the drop down menu. Then edit your email address to your current one and click to "Save." After that, watch for an immediate verification email to the new address. Click on the link in that message to verify the address, otherwise any email change will not take effect.

2nd issue: Contacting Oldgas.com If you're having trouble with our email form after clicking "Contact" at the top of forum pages, you can always send a PM Private Message through the forum. Click on my user name in the left panel of the post just above this. Then choose "Private Message" from the drop down menu. Fill in and send the private message.

3rd issue: Requesting an upgrade to sell items on the forum. As you mentioned, there is a requirement to have 4 posts that demonstrate you know how the forum works and to upload a photo into one of your posts. Good photos are essential for successful selling.
On the post submission form, click on "Attachment Manager" to upload a photo into your message.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=703369

Looks like you have not uploaded a photo on the forum yet. Please make a new forum post that includes a photo of yours. A post in "Welcome New Members" with a photo of something in your collection would be ideal. Then send me a "Contact" message or a PM private message to let me know and I'll make sure the upgrade is enabled.

Thanks for your participation and patience,
JP
Posted By: kan kustom Re: New Members & Selling Items - Wed Apr 13 2022 07:54 PM
Thanks. I thought I hit save when I tried to change to my new email address but apparently didn't. It worked this time. I will work on posting with a picture. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: RLW Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu Aug 31 2023 03:50 PM
I am new to this and I am not sure how all this works.
I have two old gravity flow gas pumps that I am trying to determine the value. Where on this site should I post my questions and photos of the pumps.
Thanks
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Members & Selling Items - Thu Aug 31 2023 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by RLW
I am new to this and I am not sure how all this works.
I have two old gravity flow gas pumps that I am trying to determine the value. Where on this site should I post my questions and photos of the pumps.
Thanks

Welcome to Oldgas.com
You can post your value questions and photos on our "Petroliana Value Questions" section:
https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19
Items are not allowed to be offered for sale on the Value forum.

Please read the For Sale Guidelines:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=550309

How to upload photos into your forum post:
https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=703369
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk