Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DWSheffer Original or Repro Delco Sign? - Sat Jul 15 2017 05:11 PM
I was wondering if I could get opinions on the originality of this Delco sign please. I bought it as a reproduction, but something told me it was possibly original. As someone who collected before the deluge of reproductions, I've always been the first one to say do your homework before buying, but unfortunately in this situation I did not have the opportunity to do so and this isn't in my usual collecting area. I see one similar with the code at the bottom that sold on Ebay, and then one listed for $795 which doesn't have the code and the letter S's look funny on the lower wording. The size is 27 1/4 by 19 1/4 inches.
Thanks for any help folks!
Darin

Attached picture Delco Sign Frt.jpg
Attached picture Delco Sign Bk.jpg
Attached picture Delco Code.jpg
Posted By: jecos Re: Original or Repro Delco Sign? - Sat Jul 15 2017 07:26 PM
I believe that is original and the back looks correct. I sold one a couple years ago that had the same code. Also a couple have sold at Morphy's in the last couple of years with the same code that they attribute to the date (1945):

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/47492576_delco-radio-and-tv-tubes-tin-sign

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/34840746_delco-radio-and-television-tubes

Joe
Posted By: jecos Re: Original or Repro Delco Sign? - Sat Jul 15 2017 10:29 PM
By the way, I'm not sure about assigning a date based on that code in the corner, but the time period seems reasonable.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Original or Repro Delco Sign? - Sun Jul 16 2017 12:43 AM
Hi Joe...thanks for the links and info. I think I did pretty well on it then! smile I thought with the thickness of the paint and the irregularities in the surface that it might be old. It just didn't seem like most newly painted repro signs I've seen. As I mentioned, the seller bought it as a repro and sold it as one. He was happy and so am I now! Sometimes it's worth a gamble.
Darin
Posted By: jecos Re: Original or Repro Delco Sign? - Sun Jul 16 2017 12:06 PM
Yeah good buy!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk