Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Brice Gasoline sign value? - Sun Jul 23 2017 12:45 AM
A friend found this "Brice B Gasoline" sign in a field in Alamosa, CO in the 1960s. She is not interested in selling, but would like to know a value.
I don't know size or condition of the other side.
Thanks!

Attached picture BriceGasoline.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Sun Jul 23 2017 01:34 AM
size I believe would play a part in value with the smaller sizes being of more value
condition: of side shown, displays nicely w/ring
value: with what we have too go on- IMO minimum of 1200.+ .. ... cool
Posted By: Alex Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Sun Jul 23 2017 02:51 AM
Not sure what the size of the one I saw, but it was at the Portland Show a few years back and the owner had $900 on it and it was sold before it got out of the trailer.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Sun Jul 23 2017 11:00 AM
Thanks guys. She will appreciate your help.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Mon Jul 24 2017 12:19 PM
cool sign, but they spelled it wrong wink
Posted By: TrishB Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Tue Jul 25 2017 12:25 PM
Hi – that's our sign. Jim was kind enough to put it up for me, but I decided to sign up for the forum because I'm curious to know anything about this sign.

It's way up on a high wall, so I can't easily get at it to measure it, but it's at least 36 inches. Good condition with only a few small chips – and no bullet holes. My husband is inveterate collector of junk and he used to spend a lot of his free time when he was younger in Colorado because he's a fan of narrow gauge railroads. He found this in a field in Alamosa and we really know nothing about it. I know about Cliff Brice, but every other sign I've found has his full name on it. I've only seen two others like this – one on someone's living room wall a building materials advertisment and one on someone's website – not for sale. I wrote to him to ask him if he knew anything but I never got a response.

Thanks for your interest in this and I appreciate any information you have!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Tue Jul 25 2017 04:28 PM
Hi Trish... the sign should be 42"

I have always kept my eye on them for obvious reasons. If yours is as good on the back as it is in the picture, and no touch ups or major surface scratching... it is worth around $2,000.

It is the same company as Cliff Brice, it is just prior to the branding changing to 'Cliff Brice'. When it was 'Brice' they were primarily supplied by Eason. The 'Cliff Brice' brighter colored signs are later when the company was joined with Shamrock Gas.
Posted By: TrishB Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Wed Jul 26 2017 03:43 AM
Great info, thanks! I asked my husband and he says, yes, it's 42 inches. And he says that the back is "almost" as good as the front. It always goes right up on the wall wherever we live, so we don't actually look at the back half very often.

Gosh it makes me wonder what the rest of our metal signs are worth. This is the only gas-related one, but we have many train-related items. He's a railfan and just as intense and geeky as you guys are about petroliana. It keeps him off the streets, so I have no complaints. (OK, well maybe I would rather have a garage that I could park the car in instead of stacks and stacks of train kits and other rolling stock. :-)

Gas wise, my interest tends towards Signal Gasoline because my father owned a Signal station in Pasadena, CA in the late '40s and early '50s. But I have no memorabilia except some paper ephemera and photos that I gave to Jim.

Thanks a lot for the information! That's a lot more than I ever knew before.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Brice Gasoline sign value? - Wed Jul 26 2017 11:01 PM
(OK, well maybe I would rather have a garage that I could park the car in instead of stacks and stacks of train kits and other rolling stock. :-)
LOL. Thanks Trish. I read that to my wife as she shares your concerns. Misery loves company they say. Stay on OG there are Signal collectors and Railway memorabilia collectors here.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk