Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Newcollector New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 01:40 PM
I am new to collecting. I was always interested in it, however didnot know where to start. I saw this sign and just decided this is where I will start.

I was hoping to get some insight on my purchase. I have been trying to research it and looking for anything that could identify the year of the pennzoil logo. I also can't find anything like this sign anywhere. Not sure if that's good or bad. The sign is 8 feet by 4 feet, so it's rather large. I was told it's 1929 as a date for it, however I cant confirm

Any thoughts or insights to this sign would be great. I just want to know more and educate myself on it. What would you say is the value of a sign like this? Not looking to sell as I love it and it's my first one, just trying to see if I got a good deal or over paid.

This will help me with future purchases as I now want to add to the collection or should I say build a collection

Please look at picture and provide me with your knowledge

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_5114.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 01:48 PM
welcome aboard .. ... cool
Posted By: Done4 Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 04:17 PM
Welcome, I have one similar but a little different. The copy and bell are embossed with the guarantee seal embossed black with the type reversing out of the black. Yours maybe an earlier version. Can't help on value though, sorry.
Posted By: hawkike Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 04:47 PM
If you are HAPPY with it then you got a good deal! wink
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:03 PM
Thanks!!
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:05 PM
No worries on value. I really just want to learn more and start building a collection
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:06 PM
I am Happy with it, so good point.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:29 PM
Wow!! I think it is awesome!! And what a way to start!!
Welcome to the madness!!!
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:56 PM
Another question on this. I shared with s friend my new pennzoil sign asking opinion on value. He said that pennzoil stuff isn't as collectible as other brands and for that reason the value is impacted. Is that true?
I dont care because I like it and hang it proudly.
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:59 PM
Thanks!!
I am jumping into the madness as you call it with both feet. Went big on first sign and already in the search for the next one!
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 09:42 PM
I can tell you that a sign just like that sold locally at an antique shop for 650 dollars. I missed it by three days.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Thu Aug 03 2017 10:50 PM
Welcome to Oldgas.
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Fri Aug 04 2017 04:09 PM
Same size that sold for 650? And 1920's?
Man I over paid then.. lol
That's why I have been trying to get more info on this sign. I'm just trying to educate myself. I don't regret the purchase even if I overpaid because I like it and worth it to me. I just don't want to continue to over pay. Plus I can't find another example of this sign anywhere so it's hard to place. I also can't find any reference material to pennzoil signs and logos to help me better identify year and age.
Dealer was asking 1,800 for sign, however I paid significantly less but also way more than the 650 you suggested. Thanks for putting a price on it for me
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Fri Aug 04 2017 09:21 PM
My buddy told me that it was a 20s Pennzoil sign about the size of a sheet of plywood, which makes perfect sense. Plywood sheets are 8 by 4.

Several things to consider. Where you live could impact the price of signs. I live near PA and many Pennzoil signs turn up here.
Posted By: JimT Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Fri Aug 04 2017 11:35 PM
You did all right. Pennzoil is collectible and that is an early sign with the brown bell. You have the right attitude and are in the right place and are wise to ask for guidance. Welcome.
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Sat Aug 05 2017 02:05 AM
Thanks for the welcome and information confirming it's a early sign. Also assuring me pennzoil is indeed collected.
Posted By: TheHorse13 Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Sat Aug 05 2017 09:47 PM
I'd rather have your sign than money. I think the rest of the folks here would agree.

At least you paid a little too much for a real sign. It could be worse. You could be one of the many poor souls on Ebay who end up paying $1,500 for a Chinese fake.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Sun Aug 06 2017 04:49 AM
Has DB said <You never pay to much but you bought it to soon.> Mitch
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Sun Aug 06 2017 07:46 PM
To clean or not to clean? Will cleaning this sign impact value?
I think I like it as is. I like the old look to it, however want to protect it if needed. I'm not sure what the rule is on cleaning tin signs and if cleaning it and some sort of protection is needed. If so what? Have no clue. Like I said this is my first sign. I just don't want to hurt the value by cleaning and in the same token am I hurting future value by not cleaning it and putting something on it to protect it?
Posted By: Alex Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Mon Aug 07 2017 01:38 AM
You are not hurting it by cleaning off surface dirt etc. just be careful and take your time and go easy with it. It's not porcelain. Cleaning it will help the value as long as you don't peel paint off of it.
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Mon Aug 07 2017 04:16 PM
Thanks for your input on impact cleaning has to the value of the sign.
Are there suggestions on how to clean? What to use? Should I be posting that question in another part of the forum to get answers to cleaning and protecting

Still trying to navigate this site and understand how to use it better
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Mon Aug 07 2017 05:13 PM
Lots of info on the forum in past topics. Use the "Google Custom Search" form on the upper and lower right corners of most forum pages. Search for "clean sign" and get the benefit of other's experience.
Posted By: Newcollector Re: New and first sign, Pennzoil - Mon Aug 07 2017 08:39 PM
Awesome tip thanks for sharing
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk