Goodrich California Guide Post Sign, Pre-1920(?)

Posted by: Elizabeth S

Goodrich California Guide Post Sign, Pre-1920(?) - Fri Aug 04 2017 02:13 PM

Hello-
I am a book and manuscript appraiser and am working on the appraisal (for of a large collection of early motoring material, almost all of which is paper (books, maps, ephemera) that I am familiar with. However, there are also three signs in the collection, and for those I am out of my element. I have been able to find sales records for two of the signs through the usual venues, but one I have not found much about (I found just one comp, and the condition is vastly different) and I am hoping someone here may be able to provide some guidance. Not only am I uncertain about the value of the sign to begin with, but there is also the fact that it has been re-painted, and I don't know how that plays in. Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited to add: The sign is about 33 inches wide and 19 inches high, and the one example I found of a similar sign sold for $800 at Dan Morphy Auctions. It appeared unrestored and was quite rusty. (I have no idea whether that's good or bad in this field, but maybe someone will enlighten me).