Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob'sOldGarage Can anybody identify the make and model? - Thu Apr 05 2018 02:53 AM
I just purchased this visible gas pump, but the seller was unable to tell me the make and model number of the unit. He seemed to think it was a National, but wasn't sure.

This pump is interesting, in that it also has a plate sticking out from the side, that also has a movable arrow/pointer on it. Can anybody describe what the purpose of that was, or, what used to be on it (like a label), since it was simply painted-over by a previous owner?

Any such help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached picture Pic1.jpg
Attached picture Pic2.jpg
Attached picture Pic3.jpg
Attached picture Pic4.jpg
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Can anybody identify the make and model? - Thu Apr 05 2018 06:20 AM
It's a Gilbert & Barker 176. A pretty common pump. The arrow points up < to car > down < storage > Mitch
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Can anybody identify the make and model? - Thu Apr 05 2018 06:22 AM
It's a Gilbert & Barker 176. The plate on the side with the arrow was to select the direction of the gas flow, to Car or back to pump. Go to Vic's 66 website, they have pictures and most of the parts for these. .....GB
Posted By: Bob'sOldGarage Re: Can anybody identify the make and model? - Thu Apr 05 2018 06:59 PM
My sincere THANKS to both of you, for identifying this pump for me!

I appreciate it!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Can anybody identify the make and model? - Thu Apr 05 2018 11:12 PM
You're welcome Bob. I thought it was kinda ironic, I couldn't sleep last night so was on the computer and saw your post. As I posted it I saw that Mitch had posted the same answer at the same time I was writing mine. Lol! I happen to be restoring one of these myself right now. ....Gary
Posted By: pgerald Re: Can anybody identify the make and model? - Fri Apr 06 2018 12:37 AM
If you go to "Showcase & Stories" and go back several pages to Monday, May 1 2017, the Pump of the Month was the G & B T-176, posted by bsplichal95. There are several photos of T-176 pumps, including mine in "American Gas" colors. I guess you have found out by now that if you open the front door and let the lever move to the left, it allows you to move the arrow up or down to select "to car" or "to storage".

Pat Mulvihill
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk