Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jolly-John Mobilgas Special P.P. Does Year Determine Value? - Wed Jul 04 2018 07:29 PM
Hi. The subject would read, "Does the year have an impact on the value", if there were more space allowed.

I would love to get educated on this. One of our Old Gas members recently advertised (and sold) an IR50 Mobilgas Special porcelain pump plate here on the forum. The posted asking price, with shipping, was $425. It was in super condition. In comparison, I have seen what seem to be equally nice condition IR47 (not reproductions) plates sell for measurably less.

Now, to my question: Does the date-coded year of manufacture make a substantial difference in the value of these Mobilgas Special pump plates? For example, I have a mint condition IR53 plate (pictured). Would its value rise to that of the mint IR50, OR is there something extra "special" about an IR50 (and certain other date codes)? Thanks for helping me understand this one, Gang. John

Attached picture 003 (800x741).jpg
Attached picture 004 (700x525).jpg
Any "educational" help on this I.R.53 Mobilgas Special pump plate would be appreciated. Thanks, Gang. John
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobilgas Special P.P. Does Year Determine Value? - Fri Jul 13 2018 12:26 PM
Hi John...I will throw out a couple of tid-bits here.
I personally feel that condition, more than anything, determines the value of the plates. Your IR53 plate is in super condition, without a doubt.
The IR47 plates are the most plentiful date out there, for Mobilgas or Special plates. When you're a Mobil collector, trying to collect as many variations of the pump plates as you can becomes a mission of many folks, and when you add in the different dates, you can have a wall full of shields easily. You have the wide blue border versions, the thin border versions (like yours), black border west coast plates, larger size Magnolia territory plates......the number of variations is quite large. Then you add in the Marines, Aircrafts, Diesels, and other rarities.........you get the picture!
When it comes to dates on the standard Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special plates, I would agree the IR50 is not seen as often. When you get into the later years, I've found the IR59 and IR60 plates are pretty tough to find. I haven't found though in all cases that the scarcer dates have necessarily affected the value of the plate all that much.
That's why I feel that the IR50 in question probably sold for a premium was because it had both condition and a scarcer date going for it.
Well, I probably haven't helped much, lol......
Darin
Wow....are you kidding, Darin?!! You have helped me a great deal with your knowledge and experience regarding the Mobilgas shields. Very good, helpful info. Thank you very much for taking the time to fill me (and hopefully some of the other Old Gas members) in. I appreciate your help. John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk