Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Proud_Dad Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Sun May 27 2012 01:29 PM
I bought two of these. I listed on on ebay and it kind of scares me how fast it sold! It went for $220 in minutes. here is a picture of the other one. Both are identical. They are about 3 x2.5 feet. Thanks for the help!

Attached picture ooo.JPG
Posted By: GasCan Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Sun May 27 2012 02:17 PM
Look like a plastic piece from an 1980's sign box, and being as they're mint it's probably worth double that as most are probably faded or chipped when mounted on a sign box and already used. Nice looking signs for sure. You never know when you list on eBay.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Sun May 27 2012 04:30 PM
...older than that, and I've seen them installed on stations just as shown, with no backlight...I'd think early-to-mid 1960's, dating to the time when there were both Standard and American stations with the same torch/oval...
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Mon May 28 2012 03:54 PM
I guess i always should ask first on the unknowns! They really are in great shape. I have two other plastics and they are never this clean. Thanks for the info!!
Posted By: Elmer's Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Mon May 28 2012 04:08 PM
Gulfiend is right. 1960's era plastic "no name" torch and oval when Standard and American were marketed together. I'm your E-bay buyer and I've been looking for one for awhile. Just happened to be browsing when yours was listed. One or two sold last year in the $90-300 range but maybe weren't as clean as yours. I don't think I overpaid but then again I'm a collector not a picker.

Attached picture Standard plastic oval.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Mon May 28 2012 05:00 PM
The acceptance in the hobby for "Plastic/lexan" lighted signs seems to have become more pronounced, in the last couple of years. Especially as other forms of original lighted signs increase in price and decrease in availability...

IMO these signs while not anywhere near collectible as porcelain and tin, do have an important place in the hobby. These type signs have been in use since the early 1950s. They don't have anywhere near the "pop" of neon.... But, in the right setting when lighted, do make a nice visual statement....

I expect the prices of such signs to increase in the next couple of years as, younger Collectors start to collect the items they remember from their childhoods....
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Mon May 28 2012 05:08 PM
Nice buy Dave. That will help with your station as you get into it!
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Mon May 28 2012 11:54 PM
Hey, cool to hear from the buyer!! In the end we all make some and we all lose some. I am really glad it went to someone that will enjoy it! I really dont think you overpaid as i have had three offers for more than that on the other already. I was able to take the money and get a great goodyear tires sign i had been looking at too.

I have a Texaco lighted plastic sign that always gets a ton of attention. When i first started collecting, the plastic signs were an affordable way to build up and keep me interested. All The double sided porcelain signs had an intimidating price tag when i was new to the hobby.
Posted By: Maps for the memories Re: Standard Oil Sign, never seen before - Sun Oct 14 2012 05:18 PM
Bumping to the top (10/14).
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk