Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Dothebill Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 07:19 PM
Hi there.

We found these 2 lenses when my grandfather past away.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me a little bit more about it...the history, the value, etc...

They are in very good condition and measure 16'' inches. We don't have the ''ring'' that usually goes with it.

Thanks in advance

Attached picture premier.jpg
Attached picture premier2.jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 07:23 PM
Nice lenses! They are worth about $1000-1500 if they had a body. So, I'd say $1300. And they are different lenses. Date, 1918-late 1920s. Not common lenses.
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 07:26 PM
Thanks...Would you know the approximate years?
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 07:27 PM
I added to my post...
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 07:29 PM
re-thanks....price are for both or individual?

And what do you mean by ''but they are different lenses''?

I tought they were the two side of the same globe.
Posted By: Johnnyleduc Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 08:07 PM
The style of writing was usually found on one piece glass globes. Maybe one of the better informed members can say the age of these lenses.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 08:35 PM
What is the writing at bottom of ea?
15" or 16.5"?
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 08:43 PM
One has Imperial in white, the other in black. They would have been single lenses for two different globes. A lot of people will buy a single lens, other will not. Nice lenses.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Dothebill
re-thanks....price are for both or individual?

And what do you mean by ''but they are different lenses''?

I tought they were the two side of the same globe.

The price is for both, but for singles, I would say $650 or so. The word "premeier" is white in the first picture, and the other is black. And both lenses have a different shade of red. Hope that answers you questions.
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 09:10 PM
There are no dimension written on the bottom...just "Made in USA"...but I measure it quickly and it was 16"...most likely 16.5"
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 09:48 PM
Aren't all Canadian Globes & Items [if marked] Made In Canada?
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 10:15 PM
I have no ideas...but I found these 2 wrapped in a 1956 newspaper.
Posted By: Johnnyleduc Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Thu Sep 05 2013 10:37 PM
Could you take some close up pictures of the bottom of the lenses and the backside. The condition of the lenses for being so old is quite remarkable.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Fri Sep 06 2013 05:09 AM
I've seen White Rose and B/A Canadian globes marked Made in USA.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Fri Sep 06 2013 12:12 PM
Great find on a couple cool, early lenses! I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of either, we have owned both versions in the past. From the globes I've seen it's not uncommon for Canadian lenses to read "Made in USA". I believe this is referring to where the globe was produced (likely Cinncinnat Advertising or one of the other major producers).

Value wise, I would think they are worth $400-450 each and maybe slightly more on the black letter version.

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Fri Sep 06 2013 01:19 PM
Measure across the back side of the lense, they are probably 15" Aaron is right on as far as value. Nice lenses. Richard
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Sat Sep 07 2013 01:55 AM
Thanks all for your comments...I will take other pictures of the bottom and interior and will post them soon....This site is very cool and contributors are very helpful...thanks again
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Sat Sep 07 2013 02:22 AM
As far as I am aware of Imperial Oil only used 16 1/2" lenses on their 3 piece globes. I paid $1000 for my white lettered Premier globe a couple of years back including the body which was probably a retail price. I have a few early Canadian Imperial and British American globes, some say Made in Canada and some Made in USA, even a Purity 99 gasoline globe with lenses saying Made in USA. Cheers, Don.
Posted By: Dothebill Re: Imperial Premier gas globe lenses - Sat Sep 07 2013 07:38 PM
Here are more pics as request...Bottom of the lens, measurement and the back of the lens

Attached picture back.jpg
Attached picture bottom.jpg
Attached picture measure.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk