Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jarvis roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 11:01 AM
Well, Who all is going to Peotone March 7? I will be there i guess... even though i am about broke. LOL Don't forget there is an auction Friday night March 5. See you all there!
Posted By: gasandgo Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 03:29 PM
Hey John, I will be at Peotone, setting up outside, just looked up the weather forcast for up there, supposed to be cold and snow showers on Saturday, you never no up there this time of the year, but It won't stop me from going. Will be at the Auction on Friday. See ya there. Dave
Posted By: vintagecar Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 03:50 PM
where is the show at? never been and looking for some new places to go.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 06:14 PM
I'm setting up there. Space A-8.

It could be 60 degrees or it could be 20 with blowing snow. You never know this time of year.

As a seller it seems like I do the best when its 25-30 with 2 inches of wet snow.....just bad enough for the buyers to stay inside. A couple of years ago we had 10" of blowing snow. That was a tough show to sell anything at.

I think we'll see several oldgasers there. Jim and his wife, John, David Higdon, Rex and Nita, Bud E, Dave and Linda ,Aaron,Jeff Johnson.......

Its a good show with alot of entry level to mid range stuff with a few high end items. I always seem to buy way more than what I sell.

The show is at the Will County Fairgrounds in Peotone, IL. I-57, US 45, and IL 50 are all nearby.

Hope to see you there!
Bob
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 10:40 PM
I noticed in the event listing that the auction is on friday March 5th and the swap meet is March 7th. Is the swap meet going on Saturday? If I can go, Saturday would be the only day I could attend. Also, how many vendors are usually set up at this show?
Thanks, Jeff
Posted By: wads Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 10:45 PM
Hope to make it and meet some of you in person.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 11:03 PM
Jeff,
The only way you can get in on Staurday is to be a vendor. Set up starts at noon (I think) and runs to about 6:00 PM. Vendors can buy a nice dinner Sat. evening.
I'm not sure of the number of vendors, but I think there are around 90 some indoor spaces. Depending on the weather you usually see 20-40 outdoor vendors.
There's an early buyers session at 6:30 or 7:00 Sunday morning for an additional charge. Best check the times with the promoters. You can find that info in the Events section of this site.
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 01 2004 11:05 PM
The auction isn't actually part of the show. It's nice to have the auction and show on the same weekend though.
Bob
Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Tue Mar 02 2004 03:12 AM
I won't be at that separate auction on Friday. But I will be at the Peotone swap on Sunday. My wife Maureen is coming along this time to keep an eye on me. You guys can distract her while I load up all kinds of rusty, smelly stuff.

Remember you can find swap meet and auction information on our Events page. Go to the bottom of most Shop Talk pages and click on "Primarily Petroliana Main Menu" then click on "Events" on the menu on the left of that page.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: JORECO Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Tue Mar 02 2004 04:19 AM
Bob, you are right. My father and I will be heading out late Thursday night, early Friday morning. We won't make the auction. We are going to visit the mystery man that took me several years to hunt down. He has some nice Johnson items that my dad and I can at least drool over. We are taking a big empty trailer on the way up if anyone needs anything from the Atlanta area. We're afraid to think we might fill it up by the time we get back. I just can't seem to get as fired up about it without Ray May there. I do look forward to meeting some of the oldgas gang. Look us up. We are vending in space A-10, 2 doors down from Bob. See you soon. Jeff
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Tue Mar 02 2004 04:38 AM
Jeff,
I'm going to miss visiting with Ray at the show too. Jan says she's going though!
Good luck on the Johnson items.
See ya soon!
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Sat Mar 06 2004 12:27 PM
We went to the Aumann auction yesterday. I wasn't able to buy anything, but I had a great time. I saw a few oldgasers there, and met Doug Shelton AKA Phoenix here on oldgas. Doug is fairly new to our hobby and collects Deep Rock and Kerr McGee stuff.
We had a great time visiting with our good friends Rex and Nita. Rex was able to buy a couple of cool grease cans at the auction.
There were a couple of great signs at the sale. I think the high dollar item for the day was the porcelain and neon United Motor Service sign that went for around $4500+ buyers premium.

I'll try to get some pictures posted of whats at the show.
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Sun Mar 07 2004 09:59 PM
EVERYONE I talked to had a great show, both buying and selling. Here's a shot of some oldgas guys.
Left to right:
Jeff Johnson, Rex Benson, John Jarvis, Jim Potts (holding the Bardahl clock he bought at the show), David Higdon, and Bud Ellinghausen.

I'll post some more pictures later.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-07-2004).]
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Sun Mar 07 2004 11:16 PM
Here's a Bowser flanged sign that was offered at the show.

This unusual Federal pump sold early.

Here are a few more pumps that were offered for sale.

Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Sun Mar 07 2004 11:19 PM
Here's Rex with a sign he bought at the show.

I wish I would have gotten a shot of the other sign he bought at the show......a scarce White Star Kerosene flange!!!!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Sun Mar 07 2004 11:24 PM
A dealer bought this extremely rare Bonded Ethyl globe at an antique shop on the way to the show. Some guys have all the luck!

I'm suffering from a case of buyers regret for not buying this one. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Posted By: big cheese Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 12:09 AM
hey bob nice pictures, i love the bowser sign. cheese
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 12:11 AM
There was a pretty good selection of globes and signs at Peotone this year. Sales of signs was very strong. The selection of cans was a little weaker at this show than in the past, but there were still some great pieces there. I was only able to get a few pictures as foot traffic was extremely heavy. A new attendance record was set. Tim and Kevin are doing a great job of promoting the show.

I sold more than I bought this year. I don't think that has ever happened before!

I had the oppertunity to meet some oldgas members for the first time, and visit with old friends too. Those of you who don't get out to the shows are really missing alot. Its easier to sit at home and buy on ebay, but its certainly more fun to attend the shows.

More than one person got a little choked up when Jan May showed up. Jan said she wanted to get out and see some of Ray and her old friends.

All in all it was a great show. I wish I had the time and money to attend more gas shows!
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 12:35 AM
Great report Bob.....Wow looks like some good stuff at this show as well. I like the Bowser sign as well as that neat Bonded ethyl globe. Seeing the pictures is getting me ready for another gas show.

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 12:40 AM
Does anyone know how much, who's is, and if it sold of the pump that has federal on the face?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 01:13 AM
Bob said that Federal pump sold early. I didn't see it. The Bowser flange sign was offered for $2500. Very cool sign, but out of my range.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 02:10 AM
Here are some images from the Peotone, Illinois march 7 show:

Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 02:11 AM
More pics...

Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 02:15 AM
Here's Ron Throckmorton, the oil bottle expert and more pics from Peotone.

Posted By: Oldgas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 02:45 AM
Here are Greg and Ron Aust, handing out flyers for their Mississippi Valley Gas show in Davenport, Iowa in July.

It was extremely windy on the way home from Peotone making driving straight difficult. And then tragedy struck at the Amishland Buffet on I-57 in Tuscola, Illinois. High winds blew a ten foot tall cow over in front of the restaurant, causing critical damage to her back legs and head. I understand AquaElvis is on his way to help in any way he can. Donor parts may be needed.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 02:50 AM
I believe the Federal pump was priced at $400.

The Wayne 866 that Jim posted was a pretty straight pump. It had the porcelain Atlantic doors and one good Atlantic Ethyl ad glass. It was about as good a Wayne 60 series pump you'd ever see in northern Illinois. Asking price was $1500 but it didn't sell.
Posted By: dodogas Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 04:24 AM
AAHHH a Scottish Quart Collecter!!...........................

" AYYyy If its not a Glass Quart its CCCRRRRAAAAPPPP!!!"

"A Quart low & an hour late !!"....thats me..dodogas..lol
Posted By: T-way Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Mon Mar 08 2004 04:50 PM
That Federal pump looks just like an American 900 with different faceplates . . .

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: BudE Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Tue Mar 09 2004 12:48 AM
Big Thanks to everyone for the great pictures.I agree with Bob, so nice seeing past friends,meeting new ones and learning about others interests, ideas,etc. The shows are great! I sure love this computer but it'll never replace the friendly handshake and smiles.
Posted By: big cheese Re: roll call peotone gas show? - Tue Mar 09 2004 12:26 PM
WELL SAID BUDE. CHEESE
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk