Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Pegasus Another long time collector is gone - Fri Dec 28 2018 11:55 PM
I just learned of the passing of Bob Shaw, a long time collector and dealer from Utica, Ohio. He died on December 23 at the age of 79. Bob owned Smith-Wolf Oil company in Utica, which was a bulk distribution plant over the years for Mobil and later Ashland Oil. His warehouse was a wood building across the street from his office/home and every inch was covered with porcelain signs. His collection was largely Mobil themed, which was of special interest to me. He set up as a dealer at Columbus and Des Moines on a regular basis. If you attended those events you probably met him, as he was always willing to shot the bull with anyone willing to listen. I assisted Dan Mathews back in the early 2000's in cataloging and transporting most of Bob's collection for an auction. He also raised sweet corn every year and sold it at a roadside stand near his home. Bob was a good old boy and an early picker in our hobby. RIP buddy.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Another long time collector is gone - Sat Dec 29 2018 12:37 AM
Richard thanks for posting. Very sorry to hear of Bobs passing. Always enjoyed talking with him at the Check The Oil shows.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Another long time collector is gone - Sat Dec 29 2018 05:00 PM
Thanks for sharing. RIP.
Posted By: trifiver Re: Another long time collector is gone - Sat Dec 29 2018 07:22 PM
Sad , Didn't Know him.

RIP

Sid
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Another long time collector is gone - Sat Dec 29 2018 08:33 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Bobs family and friends.
From the Pierces
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Another long time collector is gone - Mon Dec 31 2018 11:04 PM
Richard--Do you or anyone else have a picture of Bob?
I've only missed one Iowa Gas in the last 12 years, so I suppose I met him but the name doesn't ring a bell?
My condolences to his family and close friends!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Another long time collector is gone - Tue Jan 01 2019 07:12 PM
RIP Bob...
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Another long time collector is gone - Thu Jan 03 2019 12:01 AM
Condolences to the friends and family.
Posted By: Burningriver216 Re: Another long time collector is gone - Thu Jan 03 2019 12:22 AM
Condolences to all family and friends.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Another long time collector is gone - Mon Jan 07 2019 01:58 AM
Very Sad. Condolences to family and friends.

-Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk