Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: olderthandirt Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Mon Dec 12 2022 10:14 PM
Here's a link to my collection that will be auctioned off on Mecum's site. Porcelain signs, gas pumps, air meters, plus so much more:

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kiss...olverine-pump-plate-collection/page/all/
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Mon Dec 12 2022 10:31 PM
Some cool air meters there.
Posted By: olderthandirt Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Mon Dec 12 2022 10:56 PM
yeah it's been hard deciding whether to sell it all or just some of it. i've been collecting for 40+ years. I ended up doing the entire collection. retired last year & i just don't want to leave it to my daughter to figure out what to do with it. she has no clue what this stuff is worth & would probably either give it away or sell it at a garage sale.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Tue Dec 13 2022 05:42 AM
Bill, that is a really great collection, and I’m not discrediting your collection but in my opinion Mecum really should mark/label the reproductions in the descriptions.
Posted By: olderthandirt Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Tue Dec 13 2022 02:39 PM
thank you ............. you know when i filled out the particulars on each piece (219 of them) along with about 1000+ photo's i stated just that, along with condition of each item rating them 1 to 10. i also estimated the values too. it took me 2 or 3 weeks working on it a good 5 hours every day to get it done. most of the item are all original with no fake b.s. i really never bought any junk. anyway, i thought all that info would be posted but not so. kinda disappointed about that but it was not my choice or decision. if you have any questions about any items prior to jan 9th feel free to ask questions. i have this forum set up so i receive emails to any new posts. have a great holiday season!
Posted By: MikeMcCandless Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Wed Dec 14 2022 03:20 AM
Good luck with the sale! We'll probably bid on a few. Should have given us a shot at selling them smile. We've set a few world records on pump plates.
Posted By: olderthandirt Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Wed Dec 14 2022 03:51 PM
yeah i thought about selling it 1 piece at a time on here, ebay, facebook, etc., but just didn't want to deal with the shipping, time involved, plus the scammers & thieves on ebay with ebay not protecting you as a seller. anyone on ebay can buy a sign that is 100% original, mint condition, etc and file a claim and they get refunded 100% & ship back a brick with no recourse or protection for myself. on top of that i would be forced to pay the return shipping. imagine the return shipping cost on a gas pump, ugh!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Wed Dec 14 2022 05:23 PM
Very nice ! Quality quality right there . Good luck with your sale and future ventures .
Posted By: olderthandirt Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Wed Dec 14 2022 05:36 PM
Thank you very much & it was why I was torn between on selling all or part of my collection. It took many many years to find the quality/condition that i desired but, well worth the wait/search.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Thu Dec 15 2022 05:49 AM
So you are the one that said signs are original?
Cause there is alot of fakes in there called original.
Posted By: olderthandirt Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Thu Dec 15 2022 06:32 PM
if you read my posts before you'd see that Mecum left out a lot of info. i have ZERO control on what they post. i even asked them why did they have me spend all those hours including all that info if it was never gonna be stated. i'm not trying to deceive or scam anyone as you insinuate. i spent over 3 weeks of my time to investigate every single item trying to represent, date & grade all my items as truthfully as they are. as i also stated if you have a question about any item you can ask me. I also asked Mecum can any buyer call to get more info on any item & they said 100% yes.
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Thu Dec 15 2022 09:08 PM
I'm sure your an honest guy but if the auction company is miss representing a few of your items as original when they are not , maybe you could list the newly made fake items on this site . It will help the people out there that have a hard time seeing the difference ,Thanks
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Thu Dec 15 2022 09:16 PM
Pull your misrepresented items away from the MECUM auction.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Fri Dec 16 2022 07:13 PM
Mecum's best at selling cars, trucks and tractors, not petro. They do have original stuff as well, to be fair. Barrett-Jackson is usually the same way.

Good luck with the auction. I hope all issues get resolved. I don't see anything Gilmore, so I won't be bidding on anything. cool
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Sat Dec 17 2022 07:40 PM
I'm not commenting on what the seller should or shouldn't do...

However the buyers at Mecum and BJ for the most part lack the sophistication to know the difference between an original and fake ... and for the most part really don't care.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Sun Dec 18 2022 04:37 PM
I have listed advertising signs with Mecum auctions in the past and they were very professional and accommodating. Descriptions were done by me and all though i had NO reproduction or fantasy items they were happy to add anything i wanted as to condition or provenance.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Mon Dec 19 2022 06:37 PM
In a quick look thru it appears to me to be about 50% repro, Thats a LOT Youve got a lot of nice original pieces also but theres going to be a lot of very unhappy buyers! And remember your name is on the headline.......
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Thu Dec 29 2022 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by gasgeezer
In a quick look thru it appears to me to be about 50% repro, Thats a LOT Youve got a lot of nice original pieces also but theres going to be a lot of very unhappy buyers! And remember your name is on the headline.......

That’s about exactly what I thought and why I originally commented on this. I would ask Mecum to accurately describe each item or discontinue the auction with them. Show them this thread if you want, but there are going to be a lot of ***** off buyers and a lot of buyers who don’t have the knowledge and will later discover that they were ripped off. Mecum apparently doesn’t care about their integrity. There are A LOT of reproduction/fantasy/fake items in this auction.
Posted By: MikeMcCandless Re: Mecum Road Art Auction Jan 9th - Mon Jan 09 2023 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by gasgeezer

Just got down here and managed to get an hour or previewing in. Should have saved my money on logistics. Never seen so many signs marked as original that are fake. Tons of stuff that's restored, it's just insane. This goes across the entirety of the auction, not a subset.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk