Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tulareone hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Wed Feb 15 2012 01:24 AM
dont know if you heard--big auction this sunday--lots of stuff

on line bidding-- proxibid-- chowchilla ca--
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Wed Feb 15 2012 01:44 AM
I couldn't find it? Anyone have a link?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Wed Feb 15 2012 01:57 AM
OK--Found it, Heres the link!
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=49110#Top

Problem is--17.5% buyers premium and 7.75% sales tax ?????
I don't know who thought up this buyers premium thing but it was good for the auction companies for a while but with this kind of greed, I feel sorry for the seller, if he's counting on the internet! Some really neat and nice stuff for sale too! Too bad!
Posted By: advertologist Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Wed Feb 15 2012 02:37 AM
I agree with the statement above 100%..
Posted By: lando-4 Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Fri Feb 17 2012 12:22 AM
Agree 100% as well. 17.5% buyers premium + tax on top of that ... makes it tough to outbid someone who is onsite. I wonder if the seller is also paying the auction company 7.5 - 8.5% to sell their stuff.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Fri Feb 17 2012 05:39 AM
Sellers premium is usually 20-25%.
Posted By: minuteman Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:49 PM
Anybody who pays an auctioneer 20-25% to sell his stuff has the wrong auctioneer or is selling junk....or both...mm
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sat Feb 18 2012 11:22 AM
back here in good ole Ontario, if your selling, you pay the auctioneer 15-20% to sell and the onsite buyer pays, 10% buyers premium and 13% HST ( tax), online bidders pay 15% buyers premium and 13% HST (tax) to buy...gets expensive to buy at auctions anymore, I too think they are pricing themselves out of work,,, they are taking advantage of all the auctions coming up...they are past the hard times..which I guess makes sense, when things are bad for most people and need to sell, the auction companies business is good.. guess thats the way it is..
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 03:07 AM
10% to the buyer, 10% to the seller....that's pretty much the going rate in the real world (I don't count the extra 5% for online, as that is paying for the service of the online provider).
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 07:55 AM
It has nothing to do with the real world or the quality of the items. It is all about economics and what the local economies will support. On the west coast here in Canada we have faired well during the global financial meltdown. Auction houses are getting away with 15% buyer (if you pay cash or by check) 17% if you are paying by credit card, 20-25% seller and then 12% sales tax.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:56 PM
Well Dave, I guess my next will be coming to you live from Vancouver!!
Posted By: Johnnyleduc Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 04:08 PM
Seth

Come to Alberta, ou.r economy is ht and growing. We have more collectors than B.C. and very few auctions with good stuff. Not sure of the sellers fees on everything but buyers fees are in the 15 - 17% range.
I think anyone with pumps or signs to sell would do well in this market.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 04:43 PM
Seth,
I didn't realize you ran a auction house. If you can make it happen I would think you would do well by hosting an auction in the west coast. Especially if you lined up some high end gas & oil and Coca Cola items. There is a great hunger for good quality items and no shortage of money. Whether it's in BC or Alberta doesn't matter we're neighboring provinces and people "have money and will travel".
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Sun Feb 19 2012 04:49 PM
I'm sure the logistics of hosting a sale in Canada with all the red tape for customs and international trading could be overwhelming and prohibitive. If that is the case, Seattle, WA is only 2-2.5 hrs from Vancouver, BC. You would have no problems drawing in the collectors from Canada.
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Mon Feb 20 2012 01:43 PM
Prices were High and lots of bidders some Great stuff!!!! Jim
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Mon Feb 20 2012 02:49 PM
WOW some great items, wish I would have had my Ford signs in there.
Posted By: Robert77 Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Mon Feb 20 2012 03:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this auction, I bought the Ford Spark Plug Cleaner. Now to find out what it'll cost to ship it...
Posted By: roadrelics Re: hewlett auction this sunday in ca - Tue Feb 21 2012 01:35 PM
i bought a couple large Ford porc. signs & neons..... this auctioneer family is very nice to deal with......they are complimenting me the crating & i can use my own shipper, of course that 17.5% is a little high, however they seem very trustworthy.....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk