Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 02:53 PM
Dad passed away on September 25th at about 10.30 PM. He was the local Sinclair distributer for several years then sold ARCO when they bought Sinclair out. Dad and his business partner bought out the business when grandpa retired from Holmes Oil Company. He would bring home odds and ends that otherwise would have been thrown away and stashed them in the garage. Dad and mom then started to collect Sinclair stuff and went to the Oil Can shows and also bought stuff on ebay. I do not think dad ever had a vending spot set up, he was not a "picker" or "flipper" but a true collector. He only sold a couple duplicates that I can remember. He would say if one looks good on the shelf, two look better. Part of his collection was shown in the January 2013 issue of PCM magazine. Mom and dad were at the Columbus show this summer and got to see a lot of their friends from the hobby. Dad always was a collector, from arrow heads and watch fobs to old cars and oil and gas stuff. He found out about two months ago on his 55th wedding anniversary that he had cancer in addition to other health problems. He passed peacefully.

Posted By: Big B1 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 02:57 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:06 PM
My sincere condolences Wes.
How old was he?
Posted By: s932 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:06 PM
Sorry for you and your family's loss Wes.
Posted By: sanford Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:16 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:18 PM
Sorry for your loss Maxwells, my condolences to the whole family. He looks like he enjoyed life and the hobby.
Darin
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:28 PM
My Dad passed in 2001. I wish I had found this hobby while he was still around. I think he would have enjoyed it.

I'm very sorry for you loss Wes!!
Posted By: powerlube Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:29 PM
Sorry for the loss to the maxwell family and our hobby.
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:33 PM
Sorry for your loss,
Prayers going out to you and your family.
Posted By: tulareone Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:47 PM
sorry for your loss--your dad look like he was happy in his journey thru life
our condolences to your family
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 03:53 PM
So sorry for the loss seen the coverage of your dads collection yours and your brothers. He will be missed in the collector world. Take care of Mom and the rest of family.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:02 PM
Sincere condolences to you and your family. I enjoyed meeting and talking to you and your brother at Iowa this year. I'm sure your dad was a super individual....Gary
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:04 PM
Our condolences, Wes. Prayers sent for you and the whole family.
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:11 PM
Condolences to you and your family,looks like a Real Collector.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:11 PM
Wes, Mark and the Maxwell family-
Sorry to hear of your Dads passing.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:23 PM
Wes, I am truly sorry to read of your Dad's Passing... I am happy to read that he went peacefully...

I enjoyed reading the article about your Father in PCM...
Posted By: LOWright Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:36 PM
Sorry for your loss Wes…Your dad had a lot of fore site to start bringing home and saving this stuff, that long ago..
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. My heartfelt condolences to your family.
Posted By: Greasyboy1970 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:48 PM
Sorry for your loss Wes.
Posted By: PETRO NUT Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 04:56 PM
Wes, take care of your self and your family, may he rest in peace.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 05:00 PM
So sorry for your loss
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 05:06 PM
Our condolences and prayers go out to you Wes and your family.

I remember the story well in PCM and enjoyed it!!

Great memories!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 05:24 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family as well from the Mathes family.
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 06:22 PM
Sorry to here of your loss. Richard
Posted By: blacktee Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 07:45 PM
Wes

Real sorry to hear about your father passing. It's always tough for a man to lose his father. I lost mine when I was 15. Looks like you guys really enjoyed the hobby together. Be Thankful you guys spent so much time together.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Doug & Mary Ann Doneth
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 07:46 PM
Very sorry for your loss. The article was very interesting in PCM about your family history and something I will always remember
Posted By: Tokheim36a Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 08:07 PM
Wes, sorry for your loss. He sounded like an inspiring person that had a hobby that rubbed off on you.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 08:10 PM
My condolences to the entire Maxwell family.
Loss of ones father is never easy, even when its at the end of the journey.
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 08:20 PM
Sorry for your loss.We will be thinking of your family.Mark
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 08:54 PM
My condolences also to you and your family!!!Your dad was a great man and brought a lot to this hobby,it reflects in you and your brother..we will miss him a lot..I knew you were close so that makes it even harder,,hang in there ....
Alan
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 09:08 PM
Sorry for the loss of your dad. My condolences to you and your family as well....Dale
Posted By: ROCCO2 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 10:40 PM
Our condolences and prayers go out to you and your family.
Rock
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 10:41 PM
So sorry to hear this.
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 11:35 PM
My sympathies to you and your family. Remember the feature, great family story!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 11:36 PM
Thoughts and condolences to you and your family Wes !from mick and Maria
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Sep 28 2013 11:47 PM
Sorry for your loss Wes... I wish I could have met him, looks like he was a TRUE collector. Ill pray for you and your family... Again, sorry for your loss....
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:07 AM
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:40 AM
sorry to hear of your loss, condolences
to you & your family.. cool
Posted By: Big Block Cat Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:44 AM
Wes, I'm sorry for your loss. I have enjoyed the stories and photos you have shared with us/oldgas about your Dad.
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 02:19 AM
sorry for your loss
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 03:09 AM
Wes
Your Dad and your family are in our prayers.
Sorry for your loss.
Ric
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 03:11 AM
Sorry for the loss of your father.
Posted By: 1965CHPCSP Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 03:36 AM
Wes, sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and the Maxwell family.
Mike
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 09:17 AM
Wes, Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. The hobby has lost a great collector but you guys have lost far more. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: garagejunkie Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 10:34 AM
Sorry for you're loss
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 11:00 AM
You and Your dad are one of the true collectors in this hobby he knew their was something special about this stuff before it got to be valuable it sounds like, when he was bringing stuff home to save and preserving history. I enjoyed reading and looking at and about you and your dads collections over the years. One of the great Sinclair collectors.

My condolences.

Nelson
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 11:29 AM
Sorry for your loss Wes.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 11:41 AM
Sorry for the loss, he will be greatly missed. Prayers are out.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 12:26 PM
Wes,

Sorry to hear about your loss. prayers are with the Maxwell family.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 12:34 PM
Wes and Mark and Maxwell Family,
Sorry for your loss.I know all of you will keep up the tradition.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:47 PM
Sorry for your loss . my dad is 85 and making the trip with me to Carlisle this week . So hard to see them get old . The guys like your dad make this hobby great . They are the best guys ! Deepest sympathy .
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 04:47 PM
He will be missed Wes by all that knew him.
Another Icon in the hobby lost to the ages.
db
Posted By: eshaver Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 09:26 PM
It was you're dad who sent me reference material in hopes that I could restart the World's Fair Sinclair I've been fighting to finish since I started it back in 1993. You best believe he'll be missed here . I had several conversations with him. he was truly a gentleman in a first rate way ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: the pump shop Re: Dad passed away this week - Sun Sep 29 2013 11:20 PM
To Wes, Mark, and the Maxwell family. Sorry to hear about your loss.
We are so fortunate to have this family in our hobby.

My Condolences.

Dave.
Posted By: archer2 Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Wes. I know it tough to take but hang in there.

Ed
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 02:04 PM
My Condolences to you and your family. God bless.
Posted By: Alex Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 04:05 PM
Wes and Familiy: My condolences to you all. My dad has been gone since 2000 and I still miss him. He used to tease me about all the "junk" I collected. But, a couple of times he would call me and say he thoght he found something for me....The pain is short, the memories are forever.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 04:57 PM
Prayers go out to you and your family Wes.
Posted By: Jack R Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 05:38 PM
Sorry for the loss. Hope all is well with your family.

Dan
Posted By: SODAMAMAK Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 06:34 PM
Mark & Wes, Sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.
Joe
Posted By: tetraethyl Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 07:19 PM
So sorry for the loss. Prayers for your family.
Michale Haggard
Posted By: KYGULF Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. It is a blessing to know that you both shared alot of interests and good memories.

Brian
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Sep 30 2013 10:26 PM
Sorry for your loss... I would like to pass on my condolences...

Martin
Posted By: JimT Re: Dad passed away this week - Tue Oct 01 2013 08:41 AM
Wes, Mark- Sorry to hear of this. You guys were so lucky to have such a great Dad. I am always impressed by how tight your family is. Thoughts and Prayers.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Dad passed away this week - Tue Oct 01 2013 03:29 PM
Wes, Sorry for your loss of your Dad.

Frank
Posted By: 1Roman Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Oct 05 2013 11:08 AM
Wes, Sorry for your loss. Prayers with you and family.

Roger
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Dad passed away this week - Sat Oct 05 2013 02:41 PM
Wes,
Our condolences to your Family. We are very sorry for your Loss. In Homage I went and "Filled her up".
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Dad passed away this week - Mon Dec 30 2013 03:27 PM
Prayer sent for you and your family.
May God bless us all,
Mike
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk