Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DH44 New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 12:13 PM
Hello all. I guess we're diving into old petroliana in a big way. We just purchased and will be restoring an old (believe it was built in 1937) Sinclair station. Excited about it and we should be taking possession and starting work fairly soon. This one is particularly interesting as it is the only one I've seen like it- the building to the left was a regional oil distribution shop. So if there's any interest, I'll keep a thread going showing progress.
David

Attached picture IMG_5335.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 12:24 PM
David, Welcome to Oldgas. The best of luck with your restoration project. I'm sure everyone would enjoy pictures as you make progress.
Posted By: DH44 Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 12:44 PM
Thanks, SandP. It's going to be an interesting project. The buildings are in pretty good shape structurally, aside from the normal roof/ceiling issues. We take possession pretty soon and then the work begins. Finishing emptying it out first, then new roof on the station, ceiling repair, electrical, plumbing, windows/doors, etc. Whew.
I've been trying to find some original signage but not having much luck. I have a contact who does murals/signage so I may have to commission him to re-create the signs if I can't find all I need.
Hopefully it will end up looking as nice as this one:

Attached picture 1_Station_WEB.max-752x423.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 01:01 PM
You can ask the members on this site for assistance in locating the signs you are looking for. Create a want to buy post here for the items you are trying to find. There are many members on this site and you never know what might be out there!
Posted By: Tankar Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 01:13 PM
Welcome
Posted By: advertologist Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 03:55 PM
welcome aboard .. ... cool
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 21 2020 06:51 PM
That's classic Sinclair architecture. The similar styled additional building makes your site unique. Good luck with your project. We'd love to see photos of the progress. Post questions or "wanted" ads and you'll find we may be able to help.
Posted By: RedHat Re: New member- north Texas - Wed Jul 22 2020 09:37 AM
Welcome!
Posted By: DH44 Re: New member- north Texas - Thu Jul 23 2020 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Oldgas
That's classic Sinclair architecture. The similar styled additional building makes your site unique. Good luck with your project. We'd love to see photos of the progress. Post questions or "wanted" ads and you'll find we may be able to help.

Thanks!
Yes, it is unique. So far we've been told that the secondary building was used over the years as several different diners, and most recently a beauty parlor. The station owner stopped selling gas in the late 80's-early 90's but kept it on as auto repair and, eventually, state inspection station only.

Since I started my career with ARCO (Atlantic Richfield), it's kind of "fate" we ended up getting this station. I'll post updates as we progress.

I'm not sure how we'll address the signage. I've been scouring eBay and the net and the full-size signage is hard to find or beat up pretty bad. Once we get closer, I'll have to decide if we go with "what we can find" or re-create the signage.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 28 2020 03:09 AM
Welcome to OldGas!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: New member- north Texas - Tue Jul 28 2020 04:13 AM
Awesome building. You should start a new thread in the showcase section when you are ready to share the progress.
Posted By: DH44 Re: New member- north Texas - Wed Jul 29 2020 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by MATT ALVAREZ
Awesome building. You should start a new thread in the showcase section when you are ready to share the progress.

Thanks- I'll do that. We're getting close to taking possession and starting clean-up.
Posted By: Skydog Re: New member- north Texas - Wed Jul 29 2020 06:24 PM
Greetings from Nebraska.
Is the station in Dallas?
I''ll be watching.

Greg
Posted By: Done4 Re: New member- north Texas - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:00 PM
Welcome, great building so glad you’re saving it! Please keep us updated.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk