Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Dec 20 2015 05:11 AM
Just wanted to update everyone that ordered a handle or handles. I received orders for 27 handles. To make sure that all handles are accurately duplicated from the original, A duplicator attachment has been ordered to install on the Jet lathe. If you ordered one handle or 5 handles, I want them to be exactly like the original handle. They won't be ready in time for Santa to deliver, but as soon as the duplicator arrives and the quality level of the finished handles is high, they will be shipped out.
Joe
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Dec 20 2015 06:53 AM
I appreciate the update and your dedication to authenticity. It is the little things that make the restoration(or rustoration). Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Thu Dec 31 2015 09:59 PM
The Fry handle factory has stopped for 2015. I will start boxing orders up on Saturday.
Joe
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 01 2016 02:22 AM
Nice!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 01 2016 09:00 AM
Missed this earlier, but I will take two if they are still available, at any price.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Sinclair1951 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 01 2016 12:39 PM
I will take 2 if any is left
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 01 2016 02:20 PM
Send me a PM with full name and address. I made a few extras.
Posted By: jrwienri Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 01 2016 03:01 PM
Lookin good Joe......
Posted By: DCpate Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sat Jan 02 2016 07:59 PM
What a great historically accurate item to reproduce

Great job.
Posted By: B.Goodwin Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sat Jan 02 2016 11:22 PM
I'll take 8 if you have more, or you make more.
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Jan 03 2016 02:01 AM
Looks like the handle factory is starting back up. I am working on reproducing the special bolt and special thick washer, but need to know if there is interest in a repro bolt and thick washer. The top photo shows the original bolt on the left and a prototype on the right. The bottom photo shows original on right, prototype on the left. The prototype is too long and not as smooth as it will be when I get it right.
Joe

Posted By: Walt K Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Jan 03 2016 02:43 PM
Joe,

Count me in for two bolts and washers.

Walt K. in PA
Posted By: JimT Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Jan 03 2016 05:51 PM
Me too-2+2
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sun Jan 03 2016 08:59 PM
Jack Sims, I need your full mailing address so I can send you two wood handles. Send to me via PM. Thanks
Joe
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Mon Jan 04 2016 01:06 AM
Sorry, not set up for PMs.

Here is my address: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/literature%20ordering.htm

Jack Sim
Posted By: Huskerscott Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Mon Jan 04 2016 05:55 PM
Just curious how you drill the center hole. I drill them out on my metal lathe with a steady rest and then return them to the wood lathe.
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Mon Jan 04 2016 10:58 PM
Drill center hole with drill press, but have to drill part of the way through it, then take it out of the vertical jig, turn it over and complete the hole. Not the ideal way to do it and I need to figure out a way to drill it in one pass. Only have a Jet wood lathe.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 05 2016 08:49 AM
Joe,

Please include two of the bolts also.

Will pay by Paypal or however you want.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Utah Gas Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 05 2016 03:17 PM
Joe, PM sent. Dave MacKay.
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 05 2016 05:22 PM
Jack, I have you down for 2 bolts and wood handles.

General Note: The fabrication of the special washers requires a machine shop and the cost I received from one machine shop was on the order of $10 per washer and that is not acceptable. It was just a guesstimate. I will continue to search for another alternative, but at this time, I will not be able to supply the special washers.
Posted By: JERRY J Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 08 2016 06:53 PM
I could use just one handle and one bolt if they are still available..

Jerry..
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 08 2016 07:48 PM
What size are the spacers??
Posted By: tallman Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 08 2016 08:01 PM
Joe,

PM sent. Thanks
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Fri Jan 08 2016 08:35 PM
Send me the washer and I will turn a bunch of them on a lathe.
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sat Jan 09 2016 12:09 AM
Here is a photo of the original handle assembly (less heavy hex nut) on the left juxtaposed with the reproduction handle assemblies that I am trying to make accurate copies. I am losing money selling the bolts at $5 and will raise the price immediately for new orders to $6.50. Handles remain $15, special washers, $6.50 for now.
Joe
Posted By: Utah Gas Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Sat Jan 09 2016 03:31 PM
PM sent.
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Mon Jan 11 2016 09:15 PM
I can now provide the complete Fry 17/117 handle assembly; wood handle, bolt, special washer, and heavy nut. The complete assembly is $30. Nut price is $2 each.

Joe
Posted By: Tico man Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 12 2016 01:05 AM
will the wood handle fit the original bolt and washer, it looks longer than the original wooden one. I need 4 if they are compatible with original hardware that I have already......Tom
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 12 2016 02:05 PM
My original wood handle is 4" long and the bolt is 4-7/8" long. That is long enough to fit my Fry 17 and I believe the Fry 117 used the same bolt. Please measure your bolt or bolts, end to end, and let me know the length.
Joe
Posted By: Tico man Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 12 2016 05:03 PM
Interesting....I have two different handles one for a Fry 87...wood is 3 and three eights.... bolt is 4". My Fry 117, 17 is... wood...3 and five eights. Good shape but cracked. bolt is 5" looks a little long past the nut. I think I`ll take 4 wood handles and fabricate the metal. The wood on the Fry 87s I can cut or just replicate into a fry 17. I think I will owe you $24.. sent to ???............Tom
Posted By: model72 Re: Fry Turned Wood Handle-Update - Tue Jan 12 2016 07:35 PM
Tom, 4 wood handles are $60 plus a few dollars shipping. If still interested, send a PM with your mailing address.
Joe
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk