Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: jeakle4 Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Sun Sep 26 2010 11:52 PM
I need some help pricing some gas globes. Any recommendations on who to contact? I have images on my phone, unable to transfer to computer at this time. 6 globes, glass body and plastic body. Marathon w/ Indian Running, Mobil w/ Pegasus, Texaco w/ Red Star, Clark, Sinclair w/ Dino, Stone's Regular and Standard Red Crown.

Also, Conoco Gasoline sign, 2' diameter with Ethyl info on center, it has a hole at 5 and 7 o'clock for hanging I believe.

Any help would be appreciated
The globe guys will ring in...
Once you get some prices, I would be interested in the stone's regular globe and conoco ethyl sign...
Please give me a shot at them...
Thanks...
tom
219 326 5955
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Sep 27 2010 12:02 AM
Tom,

Tell me more about the Stones Regular, never heard of them. Also, why does the Conoco sign only have 2 hanging holes towards the bottom?

Dennis
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Sep 27 2010 12:05 AM
Scott Benjamin, gasglobes.com

2 holes @ bottom of sign, was mounted in a Yoke or Ring for a Curb Sign. Not a Hanging Sign.
I would also be interested in the Stone's Regular and Conoco sign

Jerry
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:23 PM
Man, its tough to give you any kind of pricing without pictures! There are so many variations of different globes and again, condition is a big factor. I recommend that you get us some pictures and there will probably be several replys as to value.----KEVIN
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Sep 27 2010 11:50 PM
I unfortunately only have pictures on my phone, but no way to download and post at this time. I would be happy to text them to you, but they might not be detailed enough. I am not looking for exact value, but more the range of value because I know that condition and rarity mean the most.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis
Dennis
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Sep 28 2010 12:04 AM
Dennis,
Kevin hit it saying pictures are a big help. Example would be a texaco can vary from $200-$500 depend on which one you have. To some people all three might look the same but there are differences.
Marathon with running Indian isn't enough to price.

Condition means a lot of many of these!
Can you get someone to take a group shot for you?
Posted By: thermactor Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Sep 28 2010 11:54 PM
OK, here are the pictures, all except for the Conoco sign. The one that was supposed to be the sign was actually a milemaker lens.

Just guessing on prices, and assuming perfect condition of both lenses:

Texaco on Gill body $500-600
Marathon MileMaker lens $60-80
Marathon w/ Phidippedes on screw base glass body $500-$600
Crown $200
Sinclair Dino on Capco body $125-150
Mobilgas (appears to be narrow stepped glass body with decal) $150
Stone's Regular on Capco body - No Idea - maybe $250-300 to most people? Probably worth more to someone from region it came from.

I'm sure others will have different value opinions. What do you guys think? I'd average everyone's valuations.

Wes
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 01:01 AM
Marathon could be a bit higher but the nrest are spot on as far as I'm concerned!
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting these for me. I will try to send the sign picture to you today.

What region is Stone's Regular from? And what is their history?
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 10:58 AM
I think the Texaco might be a little high and the Marathon is a little low if it is in real nice shape. Looks like dirt around the edges?
Rest looks right to me on prices.
Posted By: T-way Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 12:59 PM
I'd be interested in the Mobilgas for $150.00 . . .

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 01:08 PM
Would you consider $750 for the Stone Globe?
Posted By: thermactor Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 09:50 PM
Here's the Conoco Ethyl 30" DSP:

It looks to be in nice shape. I'm not too sure about value - what do you guys think? Looking at old auction results, I see they've varied wildly over the years.

Wes
Posted By: Mattgas Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Wed Sep 29 2010 10:05 PM
I would be interested in the Conoco sign. Dan
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Oct 04 2010 09:41 AM
Guys,

Sorry about the delay. I am going to sell a couple of these items, the Conoco Gasoline sign, the Stone's Regular globe and Mobilgas globe. I will be listing these on ebay this evening, so if you are interested let me know before I list them.

Dennis
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Mon Oct 04 2010 05:05 PM
...the Conoco sign looks VERY nice, I've never seen one that clean - if the other side is as nice and no restoration work has been done, it might bring $1500-2000+ on eBay...
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Oct 05 2010 05:16 AM
Shouldn't all of this be in the For Sale forum?

Jack Sim
Posted By: thermactor Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Oct 05 2010 10:43 AM
Doesn't matter now. Auction ended early, bids were cancelled. I wonder what someone got it for?
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Oct 05 2010 11:08 AM
Yep, another one just begging for all the information and values from this site, just to know what to ask elsewhere.
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Oct 05 2010 02:47 PM
Ladies and Gentleman,
1) It was listed in the "AUCTION" forum, out of courtesy, I wanted to inform this forum what was happening if anyone was watching it.
2) Thank you all for your expert advice. It was not my intention to "use" you, but who else would you ask, but experts in what you are looking at to invest in. I am a novice, but had ideas of value, just wanted to confirm that I was in the right ball park.
3) Yes, I am going to sell some of the items, but that is because I don't have the proper dispay area for them, as for the sign, I don't have a curb display and the sign would look pretty stupid upside down.
4) The reason I ended the auction for the sign is I found a second flaw and wanted to document it properly. I am sorry if this caused any difficulty, but I want to be straight up with any purchaser and not be accused of hiding anything.

Thanks to those who offered their advice to me, I really appreciate it. This site and its members are a great resource for information for us novice collectors.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Tue Oct 05 2010 03:52 PM
...I'm sure everyone here that was bidding will be happy to learn that you are relisting the sign, and ended the auction only because you wanted to be 'straight up' with potential bidders about the condition of the sign...hopefully you'll post the auction number for the relisted sign, so that we can bid if interested...

...you'll have to excuse us, as many of us are collectors and are commonly 'burned' by those who ask for information about items we would love to add to our collections, only to have the items made unavailable - either by 'backroom dealings' or auctions that end prematurely, with no explanation or fair opportunity to bid...if you scroll back through the topics on Oldgas, you'll see that quite often auctions have ended because the seller got what they thought was a big offer...

...pretty much everyone on this site follows The Golden Rule in their dealings with fellow collectors and dealers, and are quick to react when they feel slighted...
Posted By: jeakle4 Stone's Regular Gas Globe - Sun Nov 14 2010 09:06 PM
Jerry,

Just seeing if you still are interested in the Stone's Regular Gas Globe that I have. I have also contacted another party that was interested as well.

Dennis
Posted By: jeakle4 Re: Gas Globes - Marathon, Texaco, Mobil, Stone's - Sun Nov 14 2010 09:08 PM
Rick,

Just seeing if you still are interested in the Stone's Regular Gas Globe that I have. I have also contacted another party that was interested as well.

Dennis
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk