Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Paul Bell Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon Sep 01 2014 02:08 AM
Old Gas Guys,

We wanted to let everyone know that we are making plastic reproduction Erie Model 70 / 71 tops in limited quantities. We took an original glass top and very carefully (very!) made a mold from it. We used high precision mold materials that captured all the fine detail amazingly well. All the rippling and small spots in the original top are identically reproduced in the mold.

We then experimented with many different resins to cast the parts in until we found a formulation we liked best. It’s made of UV stable clear urethane that is meant to simulate glass. We added white colorant to create a milk glass look. We are also playing with different colorants so that we can make colored tops too; working on a red top right now actually. If you want something special let us know, we’ll try to help you out if we can.

The tops aren’t perfect, but they really came out well in our opinion. Our starting price is $325 each, little more for colored ones. We’d appreciate orders if you are interested, like to understand demand as the materials are expensive. Please call 920-224-2500 (Walter Bell) or private message me (Paul Bell) if you want to place an order.

- Paul

Attached picture top small1.jpg
Attached picture top small2.jpg
Posted By: texacokie Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon Sep 01 2014 02:59 AM
It looks great!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon Sep 01 2014 12:47 PM
Looks great, height and all, pm sent.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon Sep 01 2014 10:41 PM
Thanks for the initial interest, really appreciated! We are making more tops right now, going well. Just made my first red one, here's some pics. I imagine this red top would look real sharp on a Shell yellow Erie pump. - Paul

Attached picture red top1 small.jpg
Attached picture red top2 small.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Fri Sep 05 2014 12:38 AM
Had a request for posting a picture of the repro top in its metal framework. Here it is...

We purchased more resin, we will be making more tops this weekend hopefully. Thanks for everyone's interest, been really great! We are really getting the process down. We'll be putting a few tops on ebay as well, ones on there now (331309704963), red one will be on there soon too.

- Paul

Attached picture dome in frame.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Wed Sep 17 2014 10:16 PM
Old Gas Guys,

I wanted to give an update on how the Erie tops are going. We’ve finished building our first batches now, went really well! Feel like we have the process down now. Scaling up from just a few prototypes was an interesting project for sure. I know the red top is on a gas pump and the buyer is happy, trying to get a picture of that pump so I can post it, plus I’m really curious to see it. All the orders we have did ship out this week; really appreciate all the first buyers, thank you!

Last time I picked up materials, I purchased dye to make the following additional colors: yellow, red, green, and blue. We haven’t formulated recipes to use these colors, we’ll just let those sit on the shelf until someone is interested and we are ready to make more.

Now that we’ve made quite a few and understand the process, we’ve decided to alter our pricing modestly, mainly based on the labor needed to make these is much longer than we thought. Prices now will be $350 each and shipping/packaging will be a flat rate of $20. We do have more available that can be purchased by private messaging me. We will keep a few on eBay too.

Thanks

Paul
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Thu Sep 18 2014 01:58 AM
Paul,

You are doing a great thing. These are much needed in the pump collecting community. Dick Bennett was also working on this, he even built a machine to rotate the mold. He has passed away without completing the mold of an original which his wife is keeping. Having a choice of colors sounds neat. If I had the pump for it I would be in on getting a top.

Good luck with the sales and thanks,
Rob
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Thu Sep 18 2014 02:01 AM
Mine will be delivered tomorrow. Going to try it next week.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Thu Sep 18 2014 03:14 AM
Mine should be arriving soon also.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Thu Sep 18 2014 06:49 AM
DB was sure a cool guy, sounds like he was pretty close to having a mold made! Hope everyone likes there tops, Matt you should have yours Monday or Tuesday at the latest!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Tue Sep 23 2014 06:45 PM
First pics of a repro Erie top on an actual pump! Happens to be a red one! I know these light up very red, probably just the camera on that one photo making it look more white. I dont think Tom is here on old gas, but thanks for sharing the photos.

Attached picture IMG_2897.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2896.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Fri Sep 26 2014 12:12 AM
Thanks Don for sharing the photos of the repro Erie tops on your double, way cool!

Attached picture yellow erie.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Fri Sep 26 2014 12:18 AM
More shine! Based on feedback from first buyers I'm going to buff all the repro Erie tops to a gloss finish. If you rather have semi-gloss, please let me know but default is gloss from now on.

Attached picture IMG_1108.JPG
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Sep 28 2014 08:21 PM
Playing with colors, transparent green didnt work out but still very cool. Yellow, red, light green all good to go...

Attached picture IMG_2908.jpg
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Sep 28 2014 09:57 PM
I would think many people would want to stick with original. The polished white looks great, just like the glass one. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Sep 28 2014 10:19 PM
For sure, most people want white, but I've sold a few red ones too. Wanted to have some options for people.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Tue Sep 30 2014 09:28 PM
Anybody know if the glass tops also work on Erie 91G? They look the same.
Posted By: Signal Oil Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat Oct 04 2014 06:52 PM
I got mine this week and could not be more pleased with my purchase. Thank you Paul for stepping up to make these!

All I need to do is find a pump to show case my top!! grin

Scot
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Oct 05 2014 08:55 PM
Just thought you all would like to know, the original price for these domes in 1935 was $3.50.
The letters (choice A to Z) mounted on a bracket was $1.50 per set.

The dome is the same for all the 70 Series, 80 Series and 90 Series pumps.

This information is coming from parts literature for all three Series, which is for sale if you would like copies.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon Oct 06 2014 06:24 AM
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info. I tried to private message you but it was blocked. It doesn't happen to show what the bracket looked like did it? I'm fast tracking the letters right now, would be nice to see one!

- Paul
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Oct 12 2014 05:06 PM
Wish I had been in Ohio a year ago to buy this!!! Look at the top, $675.

https://www.ebth.com/items/692551-vintage-erie-71-ashland-oil-gas-pump#
Posted By: TJammer Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Mar 08 2015 01:12 AM
An Erie 91 I picked up a while back..
Just spruced it up a little..Thanks to Paul Bell for the reproduction top,Ron Scobie for the top trim and Mike Slama for the ad glass.
These guys supply top notch stuff and are great to deal with.
I originally bought this pump just to fix up and sell...but the more I look at it, the more I don't want to let it go..!

Attached picture Erie 91 047.JPG
Attached picture Erie 91 037.JPG
Attached picture Erie 91 044.JPG
Attached picture Erie 91 057.JPG
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun Mar 08 2015 02:31 AM
Tom, that looks real sharp, great colors and paint. Theres something about Shell brand on those Eries that just really works!

Thanks for posting and appreciate the comments. I get a real kick out of seeing the repro tops being used! Hope it's a keeper for you.

Paul
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Tue Mar 10 2015 08:45 PM
Guys, I'm down to two repro Erie tops in stock. We'll make more, but I'll be out stock for a while, probably mid summer, depending on demand. Thought I should mention it in case someone needs one in the short term. Thanks! Paul
Posted By: Novaman Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Fri Jun 03 2016 01:57 AM
Hi Paul,

Are you still reproducing these tops?

Dean
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat Nov 26 2016 01:28 AM
Guys,

We are making these Erie tops again right now. First production part came off the mold yesterday. I've included a few pictures here, please check it out.

We decided to rebuild our molds, since we had learned a few tricks. Parts look amazing, we are very happy. Little shinier, little smoother, but still ripply. Not a big change but all good. Same price, $350 each with $20 shipping.

Please contact me if you are interested! Taking orders now and will get out to you ASAP. We are making these same time as our new repro shoe box globes, uses the same process and materials.

Thanks!
- Paul

Attached picture this1 small.JPG
Attached picture this2 a - small.JPG
Posted By: rickyd Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun May 14 2017 11:20 PM
Paul Im from Ontario Canada and rebuilding Erie 70 no top.Have you shipped to Canada before interested in purchasing.
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Mon May 29 2017 10:57 PM
Are you going to make these in Red also?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Wed May 31 2017 08:06 PM
Hi Rick, I ship international all the time, Canada is easy to ship to, no problem.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Wed May 31 2017 08:09 PM
I have done red tops, take a look at the first page of this post and you'll see some red ones. They look cool.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Tue Feb 06 2018 05:29 PM
Thanks Rod for sending a picture of your Erie with the repro top on it. Looks great!

Attached picture FullSizeR.jpg
Posted By: JohnPearson Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat May 15 2021 01:59 PM
Hi Paul. I’d like to buy an Erie 70 top. Can I get your contact details please. Thanks, John.
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat May 15 2021 07:24 PM
I'm hoping there's enough interest for Paul to make some more soon.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat May 15 2021 09:01 PM
Hi John, been lots of interest in tops last month or so. I’ve been looking into making more. Unfortunately the urethane I use is out of stock. Apparently there’s a worldwide shortage on the material due to COVID. I’ve been speaking with the resin supplier about alternatives, need to try it out and see how well it works.
Posted By: JohnPearson Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun May 16 2021 01:51 PM
Thanks Paul. Could you let me know as soon as they’re available again please. Many thanks, John.
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sun May 16 2021 08:56 PM
Yes notify me also, thanks for all you do Paul.
Posted By: johntxpumps Re: Announcing reproduction Erie 70 / 71 tops! - Sat May 22 2021 01:51 AM
Id be interested as well if you decide to make the tops again
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk