Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Hardy's Garage WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 06:54 PM
I collect WW II oil jars like the ones shown in the attached pictures, along with too many other things to mention, and was wondering if there was any source of information on what jars might be out there. It's hard to find good examples with nice labels so I would appreciate seeing some of the other jars that members might have in their collection.

Thank you,

Marshall

Attached picture IMG_0437.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0438.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0439.JPG
Posted By: Savinsam Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 07:17 PM
Wow, that's a nice collection of oil jars, some hard to come by ones. I'm sure that there are others, but you have a 'leg up' on oil jars. Sam
Posted By: Mike M. Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 08:05 PM
Nice collection!!

Picked up a Purol one from a long time Pure collector in Iowa last year

Attached picture mikes cell 707.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 08:11 PM
...there are a couple of taller bottles, as well: Quaker State and Pennzoil...and a different Valvoline jar, that's also a little taller...
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 08:15 PM
Excellent Collection, Marshall; thanks for sharing!... Most of the bottles I have seen before.... The Valoco is one I am not familiar with... And the Coreco name, is stuck in the back of my memory but, I'm not sure why....

Mike that Purol, is very nice...
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 08:43 PM
A few of mine.
Dan

Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 09:37 PM
I know there is a Harley Davidson Motor Oil bottle also they are very expensive.
Posted By: danlap99 Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 09:51 PM
super collection !!!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 09:58 PM
nice display of the oil bottles- something you don't see a lot of ... cool
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: WW II Oil Jars - Fri May 15 2015 10:36 PM
Nice assortment!!
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sat May 16 2015 09:08 AM
Nice Purol Oil Jar Mike. I had a chance to buy one at Columbus last year but the seller wasn't sure if it was an original or not because the label was not a full wrap around the jar. I passed and still don't know if I made the right decision.

I have seen a blue labeled Lubrite jar in the past but it wasn't for sale. I would think that there were many more different brands made but the survivor rate is low because they were meant to be recycled and the labels are easily torn off.

Great looking Aero Mobiloil jar Dan. I need to find one for the collection.

Please post pictures if you have some that haven't been shown!
Posted By: Done4 Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sat May 16 2015 12:08 PM
In the past (far past) I had chances to buy these styles of jars and for some reason passed. Sometimes you just shake your head and wonder why? Here's a couple of mine.

Attached picture hudson-1.jpg
Attached picture hudson top.jpg
Attached picture kendall-1.jpg
Attached picture kendall top.jpg
Posted By: pickurt Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sat May 16 2015 01:29 PM
Never seen oil jars, must be hard to come by.

Kurt
Posted By: GASandOIL Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sat May 16 2015 09:40 PM
Something you don't see everyday - great collection thanks for sharing!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sun May 17 2015 08:57 PM
Here is my example of the blue Standard Lubrite jar.....
Darin

Attached picture Lubrite Frt.jpg
Attached picture Lubrite side.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sun May 17 2015 09:59 PM
So how do they measure up on rarity (ie because they are so breakable) and did it also make pre WWII metal cans rare because of all the metal drives?
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sun May 17 2015 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Nicole
So how do they measure up on rarity (ie because they are so breakable) and did it also make pre WWII metal cans rare because of all the metal drives?

Oil jars are not uncommon, some companies may be though. The hard part is finding one with the label on it. Most of the time after use they were repurposed into something else. Rarity depends on who wants it, how many made, etc.

Me being a Mobiloil collector think the paper WWII versions are much tougher to find. I have had numerous Mobiloil jars and only one paper WWII version.

I am sure this varies based on manufacturer as well.

As for Pre WWII cans being more scarce, i can see that they may have used the old scrap to make new metal things. So yes i believe that plays a huge role in not being able to find some old cans.

Dan

Here is a pic of a paper one like i was talking about.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: WW II Oil Jars - Sun May 17 2015 11:58 PM
Nice Lubrite Darin. One that is on my want list for sure just going to take some time. Thanks for sharing the photo.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk