Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: takitez You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 02:21 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine at last year and the subject came up about signs, I told him I collect them he said that his sister law had a 76 sign that came from her grandfathers service station but he didn't think she wanted to sell. Sunday I talked to him and he said they were going to start cleaning out some of the buildings and he would ask if she wanted to sell the sign. So today I got a phone call from him and he wanted to know if I could come look at it and I said yes while I had him on the phone I asked what size the sign was and he said 4' and I was thinking to my self I can't remember a 4' 76 sign but anyway I said I would be there this evening. When I got there and walked into the building and seen the sign in the band I knew right then what it was. After you guys look at the pictures of what I got can anyone date this sign buy the wording on it?

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: takitez Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 02:24 AM
More pictures

Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 02:35 AM
What a score!! Way to go Kevin!
Posted By: big blazer Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 02:56 AM
Nice sign !
Posted By: redindianguy Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 10:54 AM
very cool story .
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 01:38 PM
Great sign and story!
Posted By: pickurt Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 02:12 PM
Smoking hot deal!!

Awesome.

Posted By: advertologist Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By takitez
After you guys look at the pictures of what I got can anyone date this sign buy the wording on it?

Pure Oil Co. (Union & Pure merged in '65)

union oil started using the logo on your sign in '67
reference: sign of the 76, printed in '76 - p.339.. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_2051[1].JPG
Posted By: takitez Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering what the time era of the pure sign is?
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 04:20 PM
I have seen the 6' Fiberglass covers for Pure signs...But have not seen one in the size you have.. Those covers are valuable also.

Attached picture Old Pure Station, Sisco,WV.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By takitez
I'm wondering what the time era of the pure sign is?

pure oil operated under the pure name for 45 years '20 - '65

The "PURE" petroleum brand name has been on the American landscape since 1920, when the Ohio Cities Gas Company changed its name to PURE Oil. .. ... cool
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: You ain't going to believe this - Tue Mar 01 2016 04:47 PM
I've got a buddy down this way with a 4' pure also still in the frame with the fiberglass 76 panels on it.He has never taken the inserts out to see what condition the pure is in. Says he is saving it for a rainy day......
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk