Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sat Apr 09 2016 09:16 AM
So I've only been in the hobby for 4 years. And in that time I have seen a million repops of this plate. But never an authentic one of any kind. At least not that I knew. And I swear I was once even told by someone that there never was a plate like this. I have over 500 Sunoco pictures saved on my computer and have never seen a plate like this. I was always under the impression that there never was a plate like this.
Well here it is!
The picture source said this was Nixon. My guess is this is during running against Kennedy in 1960.
Now my question to Oldgas is, on this particular type of pump, would they typically have used a plate or a decal? What would you suspect that this is in this picture?

Attached picture eshelman05.jpg
Attached picture eshelman05 (2).jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sat Apr 09 2016 01:25 PM
Steve, being the era of Nixon, that style Wayne pump and the early sixties I would say "Decal". Never came across a real deal plate like that but have seen old decals.
Posted By: dalin Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sat Apr 09 2016 05:16 PM
I would guess decal, also. Newer pumps used decals.
Posted By: strnge Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sat Apr 09 2016 07:36 PM
Decal.
Sorry guys, but that one is photoshopped. That image, the Blue Sunoco design within a circle, DID NOT exist until repro and fantasy pieces came into existence. About 35 years ago a collector in Virginia had someone make up some signs that looked like this. Some had a yellow background, some white. They were crude, but seemed to turn up in antique shops in Virginia over the next couple of years. All of a sudden, dealers in mass market "restoration" items picked the fantasy design up and made decals and other trinkets. Complete fantasy. The progress of Sunoco pump images is well known and well documented, and Steve your were correct to question it. Give me a few minutes with photoshop and I bet I can drop a Gulf pump in there...
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sun Apr 10 2016 04:50 PM
Yep,Wayne is right.That pump does not belong in that photo,and was originally taken @ an AMOCO station.
I'm familiar with the original photo that Steve posted & was taken in 1955.
Here they are with the caption:
"Vice President Richard Nixon,a one time service station attendant,went back in the business briefly today to help the March of Dimes campaign it its drive against Polio.Here, he "services" the car of five year old Carol Vitiello,a polio victim."

Attached picture Nixon.jpg
Attached picture Nixon1.jpg
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sun Apr 10 2016 07:06 PM
Unbelievable!!!!! This has to be one of the best saves in Oldgas history!!! I never would have guessed in a million years that that picture was photoshopped!!! Who and/or why would anyone go to the troubles!! Thanks guys!!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sun Apr 10 2016 07:13 PM
I'm guessing for a Sunoco admirer.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Sun Apr 10 2016 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
I'm guessing for a Sunoco admirer.

This whole story and photo is too darn crazy. Steve you've only been collecting for 4 years now, but you're starting to be the "Go To Man" in regards to Sunoco
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Well This Changes Everything! Sunoco PPP/Decal - Mon Apr 18 2016 08:52 PM
Thank goodness Steve is on Team Sunoco.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk