Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gasmelincelr Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 12:24 AM
When I was a kid I would visit my Grandparent's house. They lived in a small town. We would on occasion go to a small store to get a soda or a candy bar. It was a very odd country store. It was not well lit inside, and there were stacks of cardboard and soda crates all over the place. Technically it was Chapin's store, but we all called the place Howdys because Mr. Chapin would always greet us with a loud "Howdy". Later on he seemed to change it to "Howdy Doody". Eventually Mr. Chapin passed away and the store got real run down. I bought my Grandparents house a few years before the store got torn down. Back then I attempted to buy the Chapin's Grocery sign that was mounted on the roof. I was unsuccessful. The store got tore down and the sign was gone forever. Or so I thought. This was around 1999 or 2000.
In 2001 I was at a craft fair in town with my wife. We saw a painting of Chapin's store. I asked the artist about it and she said she lived next door to the store and had known Mr. Chapin well. I told her how my brothers and I had a lot of memories of going in that weird store. She told me Chapin gave her and her husband one of his Coke machines from the store. I asked her if they would sell it to me. They declined.
Fast forward to 2014. I run into the town historian. I asked her if she had any pictures of Chapin's store from the 1950's or 1960's. I also told her about how I had tried to buy the store sign but that the store got knocked down before I could procure it. I was shocked when she told me that the Church across the street that ended up buying the property still had the sign in their possession. I quickly got in touch with the Church leader. It took a year to get the purchase made, but I got my sign last summer. Today I was able to buy the Coke machine that was originally used in the store from the fine folks that live next door to the former store site. I'm happy. I apologize for the long drawn out post. I spent about an hour cleaning and polishing the machine. It's a beauty. The first photo is how the store looked toward the end of it's existence. Then a photo from today in the same spot.

Attached picture 101_6464.JPG
Attached picture 101_6461.JPG
Posted By: West Coast B/A Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 12:27 AM
Cool story, your persistence paid off! Now you have these historic pieces from your childhood!
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 12:31 AM
I haven't been able to find out if the gas pumps are still in town somewhere. I'll keep looking, same goes for the Mobilgas sign.

Attached picture DSC00479-002.JPG
Attached picture DSC00480-001.JPG
Attached picture 101_6466.JPG
Attached picture 101_6488.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 12:45 AM
good story with xlnt results- congratulations .. ... cool
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 12:59 AM
Persistence pays-at least in this case. Looks great and nice to have "heirlooms" from your memories in your possession. There are many a sign or even a picture of the old stores and gas stations of my youth I'd love to have now-just like you've accomplished. Hopefully you'll find the pumps and sign.
Posted By: JimT Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 01:47 AM
I really enjoyed your story. Congratulations on getting those two pieces
Posted By: trifiver Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 02:15 AM
Really nice story , Hope you find the pumps and sign .

Sid
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 10:56 AM
That's awesome man..great to have a sign from your childhood!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 02:48 PM
Great story, what road was Chapin's on?
Posted By: Done4 Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 03:23 PM
Good on you, their now safely protected and appreciated. Enjoyed the story.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 10:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Rick, the store was on
N Leverett Rd.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Jun 30 2016 11:34 PM
Thanks for posting. This is whats its all about.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Howdy's Store - Tue Jul 05 2016 03:06 AM
Great story!
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Howdy's Store - Wed Oct 02 2019 01:36 AM
Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life but I just discovered a super quality photo of Chapin’s Grocery and had to share it. Photo is from 1975.

Attached picture 96407C79-A987-4BF7-9C63-41ACD92202B3.jpeg
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Howdy's Store - Wed Oct 02 2019 09:22 PM
Great photo, congrats
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Oct 03 2019 01:34 AM
Those were the Days
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Oct 03 2019 01:52 AM
Awesome story! This is what it’s all about!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Oct 03 2019 02:22 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread originally, so thanks for bringing it back up! Great story and local acquisitions are always so much more special than any others.
Darin
Posted By: The Rip Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Oct 03 2019 03:46 PM
This is great!
Posted By: LOWright Re: Howdy's Store - Thu Oct 03 2019 08:32 PM
How cool is that!!! Congratulations !!!!
Posted By: Skydog Re: Howdy's Store - Fri Oct 11 2019 04:24 PM
Great story, used to visit a little store like that in Larue Arkansas.

Greg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk