Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: vwbusjukie HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 03:15 PM
I know a lot of people travel a good distance to buy. Just wondering how far people are willing to drive or have driven for just a single item?
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 04:57 PM
Drove non stop from S.C. to Seattle once,all for a girl who drove me crazy. wink
Posted By: nochevys Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 05:35 PM
I drove from the Syracuse NY area to Pittsburgh area to pick up a sign. 5 hrs each way. I at least have family there so I spent a couple days with them to justify the trip...
Posted By: BryceG Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 05:38 PM
my limit is about 3-6 hours for a single item. after that, U-Ship becomes my best friend
Posted By: intagas Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 05:53 PM
2700 miles non stop is pretty good.
Posted By: advertologist Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 06:55 PM
HOW FAR IS TO FAR?

depends on what your going too get .. ... cool
Posted By: Oldgas Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 06:57 PM
I drove 8 hours one-way from Missouri to Michigan, in snow some of the way to pick up a neon sign that I didn't trust being shipped. Glad I did. Everything worked out fine. Just missed a wreck on a bridge in the snow in Michigan.

Description: Martin Senour after some neon repair
Attached picture martinsenour-neon-lighted.jpg
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 07:00 PM
Went to Southwestern Kansas, from Severn, MD; over the past Labor day weekend to pick up one Visible pump with a perfect blue cylinder. It was the only thing that I was going after until I started making phone calls to get appointments to stop by and look. Was able to buy in all but one stop. Along the way I bought stuff in Missouri and Oklahoma. Long trip but well worth it. Over 3100 miles on that run. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 07:53 PM
1800 miles to buy one pump!
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 08:55 PM
1566 miles to buy one pump.
1100 miles to buy 53 gallon drum.
How far is to far,well I guess its how bad you want it.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 09:34 PM
What Loyd said.....
Posted By: vwbusjukie Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Tue Dec 20 2016 10:16 PM
I agree, really depends how bad you want it and also helps if it's a good deal. I've found a Esso pole still standing that is about 6hrs away. I really hate driving lol
Posted By: Nicole Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:23 AM
Dang Rick - 2839 (says google) non stop? Did ya get the girl?

How many days did it take? What was your fuel (not your cars) or was it just the adrenaline of anticipation?.

If you didn't get the girl it must have been one sad sorry trip back...

Re Petroliana: I'm surprised with all the packing/shipping nightmares that more of you don't go out of your way for that special one-of-a-kind bendable or breakable piece.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 07:09 AM
Cheyenne to Phoenix, 1000 miles. Didn't get the globe.
Cheyenne to Wisconsin, 1000 miles. Got the globe.
Cheyenne to Chicago, 1000 miles. Got the globe.
Cheyenne to Des Moines, 630 miles. Got the can.
Mitch
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 02:26 PM
Took me 2 days..Got the girl,and the flu too. frown
Spent 2 weeks with her recovering and soon realized we weren't meant to be.
Drove home by myself and glad I did.Years later her & her fiancé got in a fight & she shot him in the knee.She went to jail & I never heard from her again.He still limps..
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:20 PM
My dad, brother and nephew made a road trip once from Ohio to Colorado to get a Sinclair sign. They stopped by Whiteman AFB in Missouri on the way to pick me up. We went the rest of the way and ended up buying several more items. Saw three collections that trip, met some good people. I still have a sign I got that time. Some good memories. We also stopped in Sinclair Wyoming on the way out to see the Sinclair refinery.
Posted By: Done4 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
Took me 2 days..Got the girl,and the flu too. frown
Spent 2 weeks with her recovering and soon realized we weren't meant to be.
Drove home by myself and glad I did.Years later her & her fiancé got in a fight & she shot him in the knee.She went to jail & I never heard from her again.He still limps..

Drove 8 hours from Michigan to Upper Wisconsin to pick-up a pump. When I got there the pump was gone, sold to another for $150.00 more than what he quoted me. Half way back home stopped in a small town and bought a visible, loading the pump the guy helping lost grip and the pump fell on my foot, broke it. Limped for a while but not anymore. What a deal.
Posted By: petropumps Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 10:58 PM
1400 miles Oregon to South Dakota. Back before shipping pumps was as easy as it is now. Fun trip and picked up some great pumps.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Dec 21 2016 11:42 PM
drove 1300+ miles from Templeton MA to Memphis TN to deliver a few neon signs for $600. Did it for the road trip not the money, zig zagged our way back and found a few goodies along the way. This was in the early 90's when you found things as you went, No contacts via facebook ahead of time.
Posted By: Morgan Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Thu Dec 22 2016 12:56 AM
Did just over 1400 miles to pick up a Roman. Was worth the drive!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Thu Dec 22 2016 02:10 AM
2,546 km or 1,591 miles for the metrically challenged. Calgary to Santa Paula, one way, to get a pump and meet Dick Bennett. Came home with a beater pump and a few DB stories. Well worth the trip.
Stellar neon btw Jim!
Posted By: LOWright Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 04:01 PM
1650 miles to pick up a Roman, took my daughter with me and had a great time....Louisville Kentucky to Pottsboro, Texas....Seen the Pyramid Bass Pro Shop in Arkansas on the way....or was that Memphis, Tenn...LOL it's cool!

Attached picture Pyramid Bass Pro.jpg
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 04:28 PM
2707 Miles one way from Armstrong BC to Harvey's Lake PA for these 2 beauties. No detours and just one other stop in Clear Lake Iowa, just over 5400 miles in 6 days by myself.

Posted By: Steven C. Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By Pogo's Garage
2707 Miles one way from Armstrong BC to Harvey's Lake PA for these 2 beauties. No detours and just one other stop in Clear Lake Iowa, just over 5400 miles in 6 days by myself.

Holy ***** that is insane!! But those are two amazing pumps!!!!!
Posted By: kenr Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 09:44 PM
I like the road trip and meeting people...drove from ill to texas for 5 sings from 3 different people. Ill do it again
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 10:44 PM
I drove From Chicago To McAllen Tx. for a Wayne Gas pump in 1985.
The pump was basically free,but the 3 day trip sure wasn't.
1500 miles 1 way...Oh to be that young & adventurous again.
Posted By: nam5072 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Sun Mar 05 2017 10:48 PM
How long ago was that? Im pretty local to that area and my uncle lived there a while.
Posted By: Alex Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Mon Mar 06 2017 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By Pogo's Garage

You should dropped one of those off in Montana on your way back....LOL
Posted By: BryceG Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Mon Mar 06 2017 02:32 AM
drove 1400 miles round trip for an A38 once, got there and one side was bashed in. definitely not worth it!

driving 1000 miles round trip tomorrow to buy a sign that I'm most likely paying too much for! LOL

never let the mileage be the reason for not buying an item (or at least thats what I always tell myself)
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Mon Mar 06 2017 03:49 AM
Lance that matching pair of pumps!! Wow!!
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Mon Mar 06 2017 03:50 AM
It was 10-12 years ago, I made the trip because they were asking $1200ea, also bought 3 barn fresh Wayne 866's and a bunch of globes.
Posted By: T-way Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Mon Mar 06 2017 02:36 PM
Drove from our place in the Thumb of Michigan to California to pick up an Erie 70 with a glass top.

Neither the seller nor I trusted ANY shipping company to get the top to me in one piece.

Took two weeks, and about 5,000 miles round trip.

Jim
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Mar 08 2017 03:26 AM
Portland Oregon to Nigado New Brunswick to pick up three canadian doubles. Back through to Ill to go to the General petroleum museum auction and then Back home to Portland.
What a trip, had the Canadian Border Patrol take my money and search my truck for two hours, finally got it back and was on my way. They just did not believe me when I gave the number to the guy I was buying the pumps from. Did not know I had to claim anything over $10,000.00 on the American side. And by the way got lost in Detroit with just my truck, the money, and my tools. Kind of like Christmas Vacation. The McDonald's Saved me and help me get back on the road so that I could go through what I listed above.
Posted By: Unicorn1 Re: HOW FAR IS TO FAR? - Wed Mar 08 2017 11:11 PM
Any distance is alright with me, its usually the only time my wife and I get quiet time together.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk