Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oldnfuelish Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:43 PM
Well..as many of you know,I've kind of gravitated to collecting clocks,but still love the gas and oil stuff. About 10/12 years ago,a guy I knew told me he had some Shell globes in his attic that he had found many years before. I stopped in many times over the years,but he would always say I had to wait until one of his kids had the time to go up and get them. And he would not allow me to go up and get them down. Fast forward to about two weeks ago... I was looking at a job,very close by,and thought" what the heck,I'll stop in and see if he's around. As I talked with his wife,I found out that he had passed away,but she remembered me,and as we were talking,her son got home from work. He said,"wait a minute,I'll get a ladder and see if I can see them." Well.. he wound up going way up in this very small attic,and a few moments later I hear" here,let me hand these down to you"
Now I knew they were Shell,but never knew what kind they were. I'm sure my jaw dropped a bit when he handed them down. Next night,we made a fair deal,and I'm happy to be the next caretaker of these two great globes. Each has a base chip,but no cracks!
So I guess persistence pays off!😎😎😄😄 Before and after pics
Posted By: advertologist Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 08:53 PM
good story with a happy ending- persistence paid off,
congratulations .. ... cool
Posted By: Done4 Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 09:07 PM
Cool story, great ending.
Posted By: Savinsam Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 10:02 PM
Great find, Mick! I worked 39 years for a company that dealt with glass. I know how to drill holes in glass, if you want to mount a clock movement in them!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 10:27 PM
Super.
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 10:42 PM
Really nice score. What year did that globe appear?
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Long awaited find! - Thu Aug 03 2017 10:49 PM
Persistence does pay off! Great story and great find! Congratulations!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Long awaited find! - Fri Aug 04 2017 05:20 AM
Nice globes. Nice Job. Now quit putting them so close to the edge of that table. LOL. Congrats on your find.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Long awaited find! - Fri Aug 04 2017 07:17 AM
Congratulations! Makes you wonder how much other stuff is just lying in attacks all across the country. Some never to be known.
So glad you ended up with them and they can now be enjoyed!!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Long awaited find! - Fri Aug 04 2017 11:25 AM
Very nice Mick...I too would be happy to add that pair of early Shell globes to the collection, well worth the wait!
Darin
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Long awaited find! - Fri Aug 04 2017 04:29 PM
Thanks.. the other side of the Super Shell has no paint,and I am going to attempt to repaint that side. The Shell is going to stay like it is
Posted By: JimT Re: Long awaited find! - Fri Aug 04 2017 11:09 PM
Wow Mick. Great find. Good to see you post. Thanks for sharing your find.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Long awaited find! - Sun Aug 06 2017 03:04 AM
Awesome finds!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Long awaited find! - Tue Aug 08 2017 08:22 PM
That's a neat find and story Mick .
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Long awaited find! - Tue Aug 08 2017 09:35 PM
Mick good to see you back on OG with some Old Globes. Wonderful find, long in the making but clearly worth the time. We've had a few similar stories about persistence paying off in the long run. Lesson to be learned here; kind, respectful interest can be rewarded.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Long awaited find! - Wed Aug 09 2017 01:16 AM
Thanks for sharing this great story with us, Mick! Nice to hear that patience and persistence can pay off.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Long awaited find! - Mon Aug 21 2017 11:46 PM
Great Story. Those globes are cool!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk