Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: coopersplace Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 03:05 PM
I bought this battery stand and Royalite sign back in January of 2016. I presumed it was a Willard rack that had been repainted to Royalite colours with the sign added from a different rack. On closer inspection one could just make out the Willard name on the two vertical sides. On May 2nd construction started on my new garage so most projects were put aside. However in what little free time I had during construction I did manage to disassemble, sandblast and powder-coat the rack. Before that, tracings were made of the two Willard names. They are each slightly different in shape and size so I couldn't use just one. A couple of weeks back I finally bought some white vinyl, used the tracings to cut out the letters and applied them to the rack. It is actually quite a bit of work but the results look pretty good. It makes a neat display piece for some of my battery memorabilia.

Attached picture w1.jpg
Attached picture w2.jpg
Attached picture w3.jpg
Attached picture w4.jpg
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 03:06 PM
Last photo.

Attached picture w5.jpg
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 04:39 PM
Well Done Takes a steady hand to create your own stencils.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 05:51 PM
patience paid off- came out real nice .. ... cool
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 06:30 PM
Beautiful work.
What would the sign for that have looked like?
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 07:02 PM
I don't know if there was a sign at the top. This is the first Willard rack that I have come across with the two uprights attached to the top shelf. I thought they might have been for wrapping electrical cables but I could be wrong. It doesn't really need another Willard sign but I suppose that one could have listed all their batteries and different applications. It would be great if someone has a vintage photo of one being used that they could post. Cheers, Don.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Where's Willard? - Thu Oct 11 2018 07:10 PM
Don, Well done. The lettering looks spot on.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Where's Willard? - Fri Oct 12 2018 02:58 AM
Well done. It sure pops out at you in the pictures and probably more so in person.
Posted By: ROCCO2 Re: Where's Willard? - Fri Oct 12 2018 04:43 PM
Very nice
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk