Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DH44 Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 05:58 PM
Hi all-
We purchased an old Sinclair station several months ago and finally took possession. The station had, unfortunately, been neglected for many years due to lack of funds. We've been working like crazy for 2 weeks to get the buildings emptied out so we could get a handle on what is needed for the renovation. The additional building is probably going to end up requiring more rehab than the station- today the roof on the station is being replaced and when they pulled off the bad roof, 99% of the water damage was restricted to the main office area. So that's being addressed and the roof should be finished up tomorrow. The secondary building is probably going to require significant re-framing.
Part of the original tile roof trim was removed years ago, but fortunately the previous owner just left the tiles on the roof. We removed those and are going to re-do the original tile trim, and found a supply for the original 1937 tiles and have a shipment on the way. The interior of the station was full of clutter, and 90% of that is gone. The paint is coming off quite nicely with a pressure washer, so plans are to re-painting the bay to the original green/white color scheme.
The one exterior bathroom had been boarded up for more than 30 years. We removed the steel plate, and shoveled out loads of debris. After all the junk was taken out, the majority of the stall woodwork is going to need minimal repair to restore. The door is totally gone, but we'll find one to replace it.
The interior of the secondary building had been paneled over the years and pulling that out is a pain, but we're getting down to the original walls pretty quick. Once everything is out, plans are to go back with runners and sheetrock/insulate the interior. Going to leave the ceilings out and sprayfoam insulate the buildings. Then it's time to address the windows. I'd like to keep most of the old metal ones, but will probably go with double-pane insulated ones in the office area.

Attached picture 13.jpg
Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 15.jpg
Attached picture 8.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 06:02 PM
More pics

Attached picture 10.jpg
Attached picture 16.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5642.jpg
Attached picture 17.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 07:12 PM
Cool project. Have fun with it. What's the outside of the overall building look like (unless you'd rather not post)?
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 07:50 PM
WOW now there is a project worth committing time and effort too. Keep us posted on the progress. AND YES enjoy the process.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 09:02 PM
You have made a tremendous amount of progress in a short amount of time! Congratulations!!

Speedracer, here you go! http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=130778&Number=751938#Post751938
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:25 PM
a project that will reap many rewards .. ... cool
Posted By: Tankar Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:27 PM
Cant wait to see it progress, wish I had your ambition
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Aug 31 2020 10:31 PM
Great project with lots of work ahead but no shortage of zeal judging by your note above. Should be a dandy restoration.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 12:06 AM
Thanks for the link Jim, I just looked at the pics of the outside..... WOW, is that ever cool !!!!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Yes, we've made good progress- I don't want this project to "drag on" because I already have my eye on the next one...:)
For this one I'm forgoing using a GC- we have a good electrician, good roofer, good HVAC guy, etc.
Today was supposed to be spent getting the roof finished up but it's pouring outside. I'll never complain about rain.
Yesterday they pulled the old roof- the previous owner had stapled a tarp to the ceiling instead of fixing the roof- it was sheets of tin that leaked. But once they stripped all the old roof, it wasn't bad- the damage was confined to over the "office" area- the wood over the canopy and bays is in good shape. After fixing the rotted wood and plugging the holes, we're going back over the whole roof with 1/2" decking before the roof material goes on.

Attached picture 77.jpg
Attached picture 33.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:19 PM
Inside, the bay area is cleaning up nicely. Once the roof is finished we'll be doing a lot of power washing to strip the old paint. Yesterday I took a closer look at all the bay windows- and unfortunately the bottom metal is completely corroded/rusted away. So that makes the decision to go with double pane replacements easier, and they will undoubtedly be more energy efficient in the long run.
The old vacuum cleaners were still in the bay in a recessed compartment, but they were beyond saving. Did save the old lift tank and I'm going to refinish it.

Attached picture 22.jpg
Attached picture 66.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 01:26 PM
The other evening I decided to check and see if the canopy wiring was still good. Replaced all 4 of the bulbs (I'll bet they had been burned out for 25 years) and they all work. We're in a debate right now about how to address the tin ceiling under the canopy. There are a couple of rusted patches that I want to repair to keep out birds and wasps. A guy here in town that has old buildings says you can patch them by taking some strips of hammered tin, then inserting them in the holes and epoxy them in place then paint. I am leaning towards doing that, and painting the ceiling white, but the Missus is leaning towards just spraying the tin with a sealer and leaving it as is. I guess we'll decide that after the stucco/tile/paint work is done.

Attached picture 6.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5646.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5574.jpg
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 06:51 PM
What a cool project!!! I am with your wife.....no paint on the ceiling.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Tue Sep 01 2020 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by yeley101
no paint on the ceiling.

fantastic patina .. ... cool
Posted By: Skydog Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Sep 13 2020 05:15 PM
Interesting project! Is this in Dallas?

Greg
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Sun Sep 13 2020 05:37 PM
I'm with your wife also. Leave the patina. White paint just says you are trying to cover up something---- just my 2 cents.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 12:13 PM
Update- roof is on! Yay! No more leaking. They managed to get on the decking and tar paper before the bottom dropped out, so a full day of rain happened. Of course that leaked through everywhere, but it actually helped "demo" some of the ceiling in the office area. That is almost complete now- the ceiling is heavy! Metal mesh lath with concrete/plaster.
Looked over the bay windows again and had a 48-years of experience glass man come out and he said "no problem" so we're going to replace every pane of glass in all 6 of the bay/back office windows. And meeting with a glass company this morning to get measurements and an estimate for the office glass re-do.
It's coming along. Having it "dried-in" is a big help.
Should be getting interior and exterior pressure washing done this week or next.
Received my shipment of replacement (original reclaimed) roof tiles last week. Found a guy with 5 million reclaimed tiles and he had everything we needed to replace the tile roof. Now just need to find someone that knows how to install them....

And you guys are right- we're going to leave the patina ceiling smile

Attached picture Demo_ceiling.jpg
Attached picture Roof_new.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 12:39 PM
Thanks for the update. It's amazing how much progress has been made so far!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 02:36 PM
Cool project. The original signs are somewhat common but prices on nice clean porcelain is strong right now. I would go with original signs if possible.

Good luck

Wes
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 16 2020 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wes Maxwell
Cool project. The original signs are somewhat common but prices on nice clean porcelain is strong right now. I would go with original signs if possible.

Good luck

Wes

That's my intention- based on "scars" on the building it looks like I need 3 large (for the canopy) SINCLAIR signs, then maybe 2 vertical Pennsylvania or Opalene. Not sure I'll be able to secure them all, so maybe 2 large then a "ring sign" on the front. I definitely want the "Washing" and Lubrication" ones, though....

Attached picture Signs3.JPG
Attached picture Maybe.JPG
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Sep 18 2020 02:13 AM
That's awesome I could live out rest of my life there.i have a 14'roof topper would look sweet on top of spaghetti there.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Sep 18 2020 02:15 AM
What a cool project!!! Keep
Up the good work!

Rob
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 30 2020 12:24 PM
Last week made a little more progress on the station- complete pressure wash of the outside and inside the bays. A lot of the bad paint came off, and subsequent to drying out it looks like it would benefit from another round of spraying inside the bays so that's coming up pretty soon. Shifting work to the windows now- I know it seems like I'm bipolar on some of this but we did decide to keep the old metal windows in the bay, the back storeroom and the bathrooms. Found a local guy that retired with 48 years experience in glasswork and he's going to start replacing every pane in the windows next week. A couple of the windows were rusted out along the bottom, but I think I've come up with a fix that'll work. Spent a couple hours yesterday evening with a hammer and chisel, chipping out the concrete where the metal frame used to be. Used a grinder to cut off the bottoms of the frame and have one of the windows getting close to ready. A piece of 1 1/2" square tubing fits nicely in the hole, and 1/4"x1/4" angle, when welded to the 1 1/2" tubing, will provide a good base for the window to sit on.
I've never seen concrete like the bases of the windowsill. Hard as granite and had all sizes of flint pebbles in it. Made for interesting chiseling.

One of the "good" windows, then the two "not-so-good" ones....

Attached picture Windows1.jpg
Attached picture Windows2.jpg
Attached picture Windows3.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Sep 30 2020 08:55 PM
Really like what your doing here ! Man” s/ Ladies dream getaway . Thanks for posting your progress . Look forward to seeing more .
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 14 2020 01:03 PM
More progress- window guy is doing great work breathing life back into the old bay windows. They are almost all cleaned out now and, once they're wire brushed will be ready for the new glass.
Had a guy make one full pass through with a pressure washer and a lot of the paint is coming off. Let it sit a couple of weeks and I bit the bullet and bought a pressure washer and have been working my way around the bay again. It's going to be ready for paint pretty soon, hopefully. Working on spec-ing out the bay doors now, it's taking a little bit of work since most of the suppliers are nowhere close to local.
Knocked out the partition wall between the bay and the office and it really makes a difference. Going to go back in the opening with some double-pane glass. Evolving plans again, we've decided to re-do the ceilings in the office/storeroom/bathroom area after foaming. The ceiling will give it a much cleaner, original look and will definitely help with energy efficiency.

Attached picture window_base.jpg
Attached picture wall.jpg
Attached picture open.jpg
Attached picture opening.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 14 2020 02:10 PM
You have made quite a bit of progress! That station is cleaning up nicely. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Mon Oct 19 2020 12:50 PM
More progress- the windows have now been painted and ready for glass to start going in this week. The color really "pops" and will be very nice against the new white walls when they're done.
Also tore out the old "countertops" that were in the office area to get ready for the window replacement- found a few termites so I'm glad I did expose them. Ordering of the bay doors should happen today- talked to the supplier on Friday and they said we're looking at a 3-4 week delivery time.
I took a heat gun to the brown paint on the "Men's room" door and it's beautiful wood underneath, so I am hoping I can get it completely stripped and back to it's original glory. Interesting that the men's room was inside the office area and the ladies room is outside- I guess there were fewer ladies needing accommodation back in the 30's...
I also tried the heat gun on the transom windows- they are ridged glass and, over the years, the owners had painted BOTH SIDES, but the paint didn't melt away like I had hoped. Still working on what to do there.

Attached picture Wall_windows.jpg
Attached picture Mens_Window.jpg
Attached picture Office_demo.jpg
Attached picture Office_2.jpg
Posted By: smokey1 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 01:03 AM
First, super restoration project and love your restoring a piece of Americana.
Understand you want original Sinclair, Washing, and Lubrication porcelain signs.

Consider having a local painter/artist paint on the building surface(s) scale sized painted signs.
Then as you can acquire originals, hang them directly over each hand-painted place holder.
Find a local high school art department or local artist that needs some work during CV19 times.

This would provide a nice look/theme on the building while giving you time to acquire all the original porcelains.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 01:27 AM
I'm following. Very cool!
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Wed Oct 21 2020 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by smokey1
First, super restoration project and love your restoring a piece of Americana.
Understand you want original Sinclair, Washing, and Lubrication porcelain signs.

Consider having a local painter/artist paint on the building surface(s) scale sized painted signs.
Then as you can acquire originals, hang them directly over each hand-painted place holder.
Find a local high school art department or local artist that needs some work during CV19 times.

This would provide a nice look/theme on the building while giving you time to acquire all the original porcelains.

I’d like to find the original signs- that’s a given. There was a local artist that did a lot of building lettering and murals in a nearby town, but I haven’t seen him around lately. The “sign-searching” will start in earnest pretty soon, but there seems to be a lot of folks out there that are fond of Sinclair stuff...
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Oct 23 2020 11:48 AM
Glass is going in- bay is almost re-glassed, working his way around. Still looking for a way to get paint off the ridged windows! I think we have decided to keep the transoms and had to order one piece online.

Attached picture newglass1.jpg
Attached picture newglass2.jpg
Posted By: DH44 Re: Sinclair Station- The Renovation begins - Fri Oct 23 2020 03:31 PM
Cleaning out the back room and found 3 nozzles. One is still in the box but the box is falling apart. I guess these are from the 40's?

Attached picture 800f.jpg
Attached picture opw.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk