Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Sun Feb 16 2003 09:14 PM
I started a new topic thread on this because with all those pictures in these subjects, it takes tooooo long for them to come in on my poor little computer. Am I the only one experiencing this? I don't have much bandwidth up here in good old Wisconsin. ...just a lot of cold and snow. Here's a picture of some rather uncommon globes. I found the metal body(still all original as found)in an old Wadhams dealership attic with a fantastic island bottle rack.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Sun Feb 16 2003 11:59 PM
Great Wadhams globes!!!!
The metal body version was used from the mid 1920's through the early 1930's and is rare.

The glass body version was used from the early 30's until around 1939.

For those that might not know, Wadhams was bought out by Vacuum Oil Company (Mobilgas) in 1930.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Bob
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Mon Feb 17 2003 12:52 AM
Nice globes Mr.Wadhams, looks like you got lucky too.eh.
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Mon Feb 17 2003 03:25 AM
Thought I'd send a picture of some more Ethyl Mobil Globes I have. The 16-1/2" is is from the early 30's and was found by a friend of mine in the attic of an old closed Mobil station along the Mississippi River in Minnisota. He said in the basement was three or four diamond oil bottle racks with all broken bottles with the caps laying on top of the glass. I guess the station flooded often and the bottles had filled with water and froze in the winter...breaking all the bottles.

I believe the 15" globe is from the mid 30's and is fairly scarce.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Mon Feb 17 2003 03:42 AM
Two more great globes!

The one with the Ethyl logo is from the Vacuum Oil Company. The one with the pegasus is from Socony-Vacuum after the 1931 merger.

Thanks for sharing.
Bob
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Tue Mar 04 2003 01:21 AM
Here are a few Ethyl globes that were for sale at the Peotone,IL swap meet yesterday.

The first is a Wilcox Ethyl on an old style capco body. That would date this globe at 1932 or '33 assuming the lenses are on the original body. The company is from Tulsa,OK.

This one is a Ride With Rose Ethyl on capco. It's from the Rose Oil Co. of Missippi. It dates from the 50's.

The next is a Texaco Ethyl on glass. This was used from 1932-'38.

The last one is a Tydol Ethyl on glass. It would date from around 1942. This one has the blue burst.
Posted By: Dwaine Buck Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Tue Mar 04 2003 02:00 AM
Looks like Bob got lucky too. your doing a great job bob with this , thanks to all the guys that are not afraid, to show off , and help the younger guys ,Isn't this better then, petty coat juction or boston public, ha
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: More Ethyl Globes of The Month - Tue Mar 04 2003 02:22 AM
Dwaine,
I didn't get those globes. They were all for sale. I don't think any of them sold though. I bought 3 globes. I'll post them when we feature that type of globe in the future.
Bob
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk