Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gas pump freak PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 02:30 AM
This month's POTM are the G&B visibles. G&B didn't make but a few different models of visibles, they were the 170 series starting in 1925. There's not a whole lot to talk about regarding this POTM but we can say that G&B is one of just a few American pump manufacturers still in business. Apparently G&B did make a lot of their visibles though because although you can count the different models on one hand they seem to show up everywhere. Heck, I don't really even like visibles and I've got two of these. The one pictured below belongs to a friend, I'm going to restore it for him and will be paid not by dollars but by NOS lenses- YUM YUM!!
Please feel free to e-mail me any pictures that I can post for you and also send me any related info you can.

I do wish I could say a lot more about our current POTM but this is pretty much it. Like I mentioned earlier I'm not as attracted to the visibles as the computer pumps but I wanted to do a visible this month to keep a good mix on our POTM series. To those of you that do crave the visibles, more power to you! I'm a firm advocate and believer of "different strokes for different folks".
Thanks for looking and PLEASE participate all you can, be it pictures, stories, ads, BS, etc. Remember it's not me, it's you guys that make this POTM world go around!
Sincerely,

Neal
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 09:50 AM
Neal, The pump pictured must have been a special model since it seems to have a water pump in its' base as well!!!! It is a great place to store your treasures! I personally like the visibles. Growing up on the farm, it's what was used to pump gas. They are definately beasts to restore but are well worth the challenge. When you think about gaspumps......doesn't your mind naturally go to "the one with the glass jar on top?" 50's pumps are easy.....these are KOOL.......Paul
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 11:10 AM
I am one of those people who happen to love visibles, I have 18. They are more expensive to buy,harder to find and more difficult to restore but I love them. Below is a picture of my dad in front of his White Eagle gas station and his two Gilbert and Barkers. When I got married in 1973 he gave me one of the white eagles. The eagle and some of my other pumps can be seen at my website. http://www.geocities.com/tim_rohr/
Posted By: pollyman Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 06:23 PM
I was fortunate enough to have a gentleman email me some scanned images of the G&B 176 owners manual last fall when I bought the pump. He worked for the company years ago. I can't remember his name, but he said it was okay for me to post these on this website when I wanted. Thanks again. Here are the pages that I thought were the coolest!!!

Posted By: pollyman Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 06:25 PM

Posted By: Midwest Oil Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed Apr 21 2004 11:41 PM
Here is a G&B T176 fresh off the farm and still works.

[This message has been edited by Midwest Oil (edited 04-21-2004).]
Posted By: keithia Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Thu Apr 22 2004 01:38 AM
Here is my G&B T-176 also off the farm. I have considered restoring this one but I have never done a visible and it sounds like they are a little difficult-like the cylinder removal.

Posted By: pollyman Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Thu Apr 22 2004 01:41 AM
I think visibles are Awesome!!! Here is the before and after shots of the G&B 176 that I just finished in March. Perfect timing for pump of the month (April). ~Jason

[This message has been edited by pollyman (edited 04-21-2004).]
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Thu Apr 22 2004 02:54 AM
VERY nice job on the 176 Jason looks great. I will try and post a picture of mine in the next few days.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Thu Apr 22 2004 10:04 AM
Keithia, You should give the restoration a try. I have a method that works for removing the cylinders and have not broken one in years.......These pumps are unique to do but the finished product is well worth the trouble. Paul
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 23 2004 12:09 AM
How about sharing that method for removing cylinders? I have never broken a cylinder either but I can't say I have any sophisticated method. I use a combination of dental picks, Dremel tool, roto-zip bits and anything else that I can slowly chip away at the letharge.
Posted By: pollyman Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 23 2004 01:14 AM
You can never go wrong with dental instruments!!!!

------------------
~Jason cool
http://www.galtsmiles.com/Jason's%20Antiques.html
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 23 2004 10:58 PM
O.K., I'm no pump expert here but I think this is a G&B's. If not G&B let me know and I will remove the pictures.

This pump my dad has owned for over 25 years. When I was a kid I drove a golf ball through the globe.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da02b3127ccebd39faee4d180000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com

[This message has been edited by quartcans (edited 04-24-2004).]
Posted By: Scott Shipers Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 23 2004 11:34 PM
I was flipping through some old pictures and found these pumps to add. The first picture is me and my brother-in-law from New Orleans in a New Orleans eatery. I am the one with out the hat. The second picture is from the Route 66 museum in Oklahoma. The third is from Deadwood South Dakota and the last is at an antique mall in Ozark, Missouri.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da02b3127ccebd3948facc650000004610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da02b3127ccebd3948d94d760000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da02b3127ccebd3948c34d6c0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da02b3127ccebd3948cccc530000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com
Posted By: dodogas Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat Apr 24 2004 02:54 AM
Quartcans;
First pic looks like a MS80 sighClops with a G&B, 2nd and 3rd are Waynes.

That pic from Deadwood SD should be called LIVEWOOD..LOL dont recall that place but have been there at least 10 times.. before I was a gasGeeK.. looks like Main St..cool station.

Anyone got a pic of the oddball G&B visible..it has skins done on a brake, cast iron hooded nozzle holder.. really dont look lie the others.
Posted By: Midwest Oil Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat Apr 24 2004 09:08 PM
Here are two more G&B T176 pumps

Posted By: gasmansgp Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat Apr 24 2004 09:39 PM
Tim, In answer to your question on removing cylinders....I use lacquer thinner in small amounts to soften the setting putty. Then I use a pick tool that I got at the local Home Depot. One end has a hook and the other end has a 90 degree bent pick. The softened putty easily becomes dislodged and removed with the tool. Be sure to keep soaking the stuff with the thinner. It was made with a lead base and care should be taken to keep from breathing it. Once the putty is picked out, I gently tap the top of the cylinder with the heal of my hand to break the cork seal. Carefully remove and store until needed. This method works well on any pump where the cylinder is set into the cast iron base. With Fry pumps, It is as simple as cutting the cork seal below the mounting ring and carefully tapping a very thin putty knife under the metal ring to loosen the jar. Keep in mind that all pumps must be worked on in the upright position.....NEVER attempt to remove a jar with the pump laying down....the stress will crack the cylinder....I speak from experience!!! Hope these tips help. Paul
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue Apr 27 2004 01:56 AM
Great pumps literature and info. Keep 'em coming.
Bob
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 12:43 AM
LET'S DO SOMETHING NEAT, since this POTM has sort of died down, let's open it up to "All G&B Previsible Pumps".

I think the reason that this month's feature is slow now has been due to the fact that there are just not that many pictures of G&B visibles out there. In selecting the April POTM I did want to mix a visible into this feature to keep it diverse.

Regarding G&B previsibles this will also include what many call curb pumps and gas carts in addition to the pumps that look like a visible with the cylinder missing. I have probably four or five of these G&B curb pumps in my stock (dark shipping container) and will do my best to drag each one out and take some pictures to submit here when I get a chance.

According to Jack Sim's book the first G&B pump appeared in 1902 and there are probably a dozen and a half different ones that fit into the previsible catagory.
If anyone wants me to post any pictures just e-mail them to me at haninfrared@msn.com, I'm happy to do this for you!
However, I do really appreciate the visible posts that some of our brothers posted. I thought the brouchure was ultimate/radical/bad-to-the-bone!!

Thanks for everyone's participation, always remember that it's not me that make the POTM a good feature, IT IS YOU!!!!!
Sincerely,

Neal Dunn
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 01:11 AM
Tim,
Great picture of your Dad and his pumps! Thanks for sharing. Now we know why you like the visables so much.

Jason,
Thanks for posting the brochure. Very interesting.

Neal,
Great idea to liven things up.

Lets see some pumps!!!
Bob
Posted By: Midwest Oil Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 01:56 AM
Here are some G&B previsible pumps,model T88?
Posted By: Midwest Oil Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 02:15 AM
More G&B previsibles,T 55 left and center, T 65 right.

[This message has been edited by Midwest Oil (edited 04-29-2004).]
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 03:33 AM
This is a factory globe that was avaible for $10 extra on a new pump. 15" complete.
Posted By: djhubba Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Fri Apr 30 2004 03:40 AM
Here is a pump sent in by our friend Rod (dances with Pumps0 again Rod..thanks for participating.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat May 01 2004 04:56 AM
Look in the background at my G&B 67 ten gallon visible. Sorry the picture is not the greatest. I call this pump the square Mae West.

GasPumpRob
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Mon May 03 2004 12:04 AM
Here's one of the few G&B pre-visibles that I have. Many may call this an oil pump but this is unlike oil pumps, for the following reasons;

1- It is designed to pump from 1 pint to 10 gallons. There is a totalizer that clicks over each time a full gallon is delivered. Unless I don't know how things worked in the old days who would need 10 gallons of oil?

2- A basic law of physics; anything that will pump oil (high viscosity) will pump gas or anything in between (kerosene or diesel). ! I'm assuming for primary gas that the spigot would be removed and a hose/nozzle would be installed.

3- This style pump is not tank mounted, it's fed just like any gas pump would be through a remote suction line.

This pump is a base mounted unit, Gilbert & Barker Type 6, model 3.

THANKS for looking!

Neal Dunn

[This message has been edited by gas pump freak (edited 05-03-2004).]
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Mon May 03 2004 01:47 AM
Great job on the POTM GPF!!!!!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Mon May 03 2004 02:38 AM
Gpf,
Your pump was used in a carriage house for gasoline, or in a General Store/Station for pumping kerosene, stoveoil, solvents etc. Considered a low vol. pump.
Posted By: dodogas Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Mon May 03 2004 03:16 AM
On Bowser pre-visibles you can tell if you can see some orig paint . Black was used for liquids other than gasolene, red was for gasolene. The packing they used was different between the 2 types. I have heard of hardware stores still using them for kerosene about 15-20 yrs ago.
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Mon May 03 2004 11:03 PM
Does anyone have a nozzle(spigot) similar to the one shown below. I need one for a G&B T-8 that I am restoring? Thanks.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Rohr (edited 05-03-2004).]
Posted By: T-way Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue May 04 2004 10:25 AM
Tim:

I've got a couple of extra spigot assemblies.

I ended up with three when I got my Bowser 52B Oil Cabinet. They are not exactly like the one in your (little) picture - but I think they would work for you. I will be out in the shop tonight and I'll take a shot of both the units and send them to you tomorrow.

Later . . .

Jim

P.S. Shoot me an e-mail so I have your address. I couldn't get the one from you posting to work.

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue May 04 2004 08:50 PM
Let me just say that you guys are full of good info!!
On this site just about everytime I click I learn something!!!!!
Again THANKS to all,

Neal
Posted By: Tim Rohr Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat May 08 2004 12:16 AM
Again these pumps are not mine but ones that I have seen either on this site, ebay or other web sites. I hope you enjoy them.
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sat May 08 2004 02:07 AM
Thanks Tim, you did good here!! I have a couple of these and you have given me some good ideas regarding what brand and scheme I'm going with when I get around to restoring these.
Sincerely,

Neal
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sun May 09 2004 07:11 PM
I bought the sheetmetal from one vendor, and the faces from another at Iowa Gas a few years ago. I know they are for a G&B T-?? pump. Project has been shelved.

Along with MANY MANY others !!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 05-09-2004).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue May 11 2004 12:31 PM
THIS SENT IN BY OLDGAS BROTHER DAN SUPPLEE (DanS711) OF HIS G&B MODEL 6. CIRCA 1906 CURB OR PRIVATE GARAGE PUMP IN A SWEET RESTORED STATE OF MIND.

THANKS FOR SHARING!

DOC @ TAG/W
drcoke@optonline.net
Posted By: gas pump freak Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed May 12 2004 03:52 AM
Don, what kind of paint did you use on the above pump?
Nice job on the entire restoration!
Thanks,

Neal
Posted By: DanS711 Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Wed May 12 2004 10:26 AM
The pump is painted in DuPont Centari with hardner. I am still looking for a spigot for this pump if anyone has one they would like to sell.

Dan
Posted By: bigtyme Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sun Feb 06 2005 03:28 AM
Does anybody have an assembly manual. I just picked up a GB 176 and I don't think I have a the parts. I'll post picks tomorrow.
Posted By: sslick68 Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sun Feb 06 2005 06:10 AM
I have three G&B visibles with good blue cylinders.These seem to be a very common visible,when you find a visible that is.Seems that people are starting to buy them again since most of the new houses have vaulted ceilings.Hey Scott that phillips station in deadwood is fantastic,I seen it when I went to sturgis.Did you get a chance to see the old texaco station?There was old coke boxes and air meters outside all over the place,took pictures with a cheapie.Did you see the globe inside?Seemed to me like it was a very old signal globe that was nice but a little rough?????I almost had heart failure when I was up there,pumps everywhere,my campground had 2 wayne 60s out front!!!!!
Posted By: gofaster Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sun Feb 06 2005 12:18 PM
hey guys,i just bought two 176'with blue cylinders and a t-65 from Dar Hansen,should be here monday or tuesday.Cant wait to see em. Mike [ IMG]http://img86.exs.cx/img86/4241/57f7aa.th.jpg[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by gofaster (edited 02-06-2005).]
Posted By: philmccauley Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Sun Feb 06 2005 02:12 PM
Very nice pumps indeed. I hope you plan to show us pictures when you have them restored.

Phil
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue Feb 08 2005 12:04 AM
POSTED THIS A LONG TIME AGO,DICK SAID "PAINT IT RED ITS FOR GAS YOU DUMMIE".
ITS A G&B MODEL 64 1910 DATE ON IT,THE LABEL READS "LONG DISTANCE SYSTEM".
I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL LIKE IT BUT NONE EXACT.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY OTHER PUMP HAD A HANDLE WITH STANDARD OIL COMPANY ON IT?

Posted By: CJ Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue Feb 08 2005 12:56 AM

HERE'S MY 176, NOW IF I COULD FIND SOME TIME TO RESTORE IT!! ................CJ
Posted By: Oldgas Re: PUMP OF THE MONTH - April - Tue Feb 08 2005 02:36 AM
Ranchpump sent in these great pictures and the following comments:
"How fortuitous was my visit to the historical adobe museum in tiny San Miguel, CA. I've attached several pictures of a well-restored Gilbert and Barker pump that is on display there. I was going to send to "Found along the Way" but "Pump of the Month" is more appropriate right now.
Check out the lonely stretch of old El Camino Real through San Miguel from the 20's also."

Thanks for sharing them with us, Ranchpump.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk