Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: powerlube COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 02 2008 03:18 AM

This month we will be doing something a little different. We will be covering all the brands that are native to Colorful Colorado. Many of the colorado crew will be adding to this thread and we will try to add history, as much as is know where possible. Below is a list of brands:
Powerine, Fargo, Oriental, Navy, Frontier, Cliff Brice, Red Dot, Speedway, Sommners, Motoroyal, Gasmat, Gates, Conoco, Autolene, Paramount, Hortons and there may be a few more. We were thinking of starting alphabetically but now looking at the list I say, postem if you got em!

We will be reposting some items and history from companies already featured in COTM so don't hold back if you forgot to post some pics.

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 02-01-2008).]
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 02 2008 03:27 AM
Autolene was a cut rate marketer of oil products in denver. I will try to dig around for some history but they did have bold looking oil cans:

Also pictures is an oil can from Red Dot Oil, I will try to find my grease can for a photo.
Posted By: hawkike Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 02 2008 06:31 PM

I FOUND THIS GLOBE IN THE EARLY 80'S ON A FARM IN NEBRASKA.I HAD STOPPED TO INQUIRE ABOUT A PUMP THAT HAD 2 SINCLAIR SIGNS ON IT.THE GLOBE WAS OVER HEAD IN A CORN CRIB.
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 02 2008 10:31 PM
A few Colorado contributions from California. Jerry Thompson collection in Los Alamos, CA. He's a fan of anything with a horse on it.

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-02-2008).]
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Feb 03 2008 01:55 PM
In an effort to kick start this a little bit...Here is Speedway done by RTOIL:
Speedway was the brand name of the United Dividend Corporation. It was started in 1930 by Finis Renfrow and his sons in Canon City, Colorado. He started with 2 stations in Canon City & 1 station in nearby Florence, Colorado. At one time there were 4 Speedway stations in Canon City & 1 in Florence, quite a few for such a small area. Through the 1930's stations were added most every year and reached their highest number just before WWII at about 43. Most of the stations were along Highway 50 in Southern Colorado stretching from Lamar, Colorado to Grand Junction, Colorado. In 1933 one of the Speedway stations in Canon City started staying open 24 hours. I have a letter from Mr. Renfrow to the mayor of Ogden, Utah about expanding Speedway into Utah in 1937, but, nothing ever came of this. As with many smaller stations WWII saw its decline. A Grandson of the owner told me he thought most of the stations were sold to Texaco in 1942 or 1943. By the end of the war there were only about 17 stations, by the late 50's just 2, with the last Speedway station in Canon City closing in the mid 60's. At one point Mr. Renfrow & a partner tried starting up stations with the brand name of Gold State, with at least 1 station in Antonito, Colorado, but, this brandname never caught on and soon disappeared. Mr. Renfrow had company banquets, sponsored a basketball team, entered floats in the town parades, and put out a monthly newsletter sent to all the dealers. I have a picture of a Speedway float with a Red Ripple body Speedway globe set on each corner of the float, If he only knew what they would be worth 1 day. Most of the pumps in the pictures I have seem to be Tokheims 36 & 36B.

At its start Speedway sold Champlin gasoline, I'm not sure how long this partnership lasted. They sold their own Speedway branded oils & greases. Speedway containers that I know to exist are..1 quart..2 gallons..5 gallons...1 pound grease..5 pound grease..most in 2 different styles. early style is dark green can with red lettering...later it was a cream colored can with red & green lettering. I have seen about 4 different globe styles. There are not many signs from Speedway...I have pictures of many of their stations and most of the signs were painted on wood. I have never seen a pump plate in any picture, but, who knows what's out there. As far as I know Speedway put out 3 styles of maps, all before the war. As with other stations, they put out calendars, salt shakers, matchbooks, etc. Besides Speedway oils, they also sold Quaker State & Veedol at various times, I have a Veedol oil sign that is printed on the back, property of United Dividend Corporation. I have included pics of the Speedway items I have, with my best 1 being the large neon sign which hung out by the street. I don't have any of the globes. I found the neon sign here in Canon City after I put an ad in the paper for Speedway items. A man who had just bought the original UCD office in Canon City said there was an old Speedway sign on the third floor & he didn't want it...a lucky find, the Veedol sign was there too. The Speedway nose sign was off Ebay. If you have others I'd like to hear about them. There must have been some confusion at times at whether it was Speedway or Speed-Way...I have a Speedway map with both variations on it, which seems kind of funny. I don't get out to shows like I used to, but I think Speedway stuff is a little hard to find,,,,I put ads in the paper once a year & all the antique dealers here know I'm looking for Speedway stuff, but, finds come slowly.

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Feb 03 2008 01:58 PM
a few station photos:

Thanks Ron, awesome stuff. If you ever tire of that neon I would love to own it!

Anyone care to post a picture of the globes?
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Feb 03 2008 02:02 PM
Ok I searched the archives and came up with this one, who will put the high dollar one up?
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 01:53 AM
Great Speedway stuff Ron.
I have a pic of that "high dollar" one but can't post the picture. Bummer!
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 02:02 AM
HERE are some items from the Motoroyal company.

5 QT

1 QT Viscoil
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 02:04 AM
Household Oil

This Bay station has a Motoroyal "Royal Oil" sign on the front of the building and there are two curb signs below the bulk tanks. I'd sure like to have one of those curb signs! More about Bay later!
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 02:18 AM
Its about time that I get involved here..... Another, small, Denver based company was Far-Go.

This 1934 listing, shows the company headquarters at 2900 Walnut Street in Denver, now, the home of Threewitt Cooper Cement Co. I spoke with the current president, a while back. He told me that the current building was built in 1958. During the demolition and construction, they found a "lot of pipes" in the ground.

Here is a pic, of one of the Far-Go stations, on South Broadway Blvd, at Maple, in Denver. Owned by Frank L. Hansen, who actually owned two Far-Go stations on Broadway. This is station 2, shot some time between 1930 & 1940. According to Bruce hanson, of the Denver Public Library, the last listing, in the Denver City Directory, was in 1953.

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 02-03-2008).]
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 02:25 AM
the Far-Go oil, was known as Penn Far-Go.

Picture deleted..... The picture pirates are stealing the images....

Here is a pic of a two sided, hand painted sign.

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 02-12-2008).]
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 02:57 AM
Good stuff Thunder!
Here is another Fargo sign from my archives.
Posted By: speedway Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 03:09 AM
Thunder..I love that Fargo station pic....If we could just find that neon sign. Does anyone own a Fargo globe?
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 03:34 AM
Ron, I've asked just about everybody, and nobody has been able to show me a Far-Go globe yet. While at Clyde Hodges place, I saw two Far-Go lubesters. The decals were covered over with decals from Colorado Petroleum. I contacted the president, and he told me that he had no knowledge, of his company, taking over any Far-Go assets. They were more than likley, just old dispensers, that were re-identified. That, has so far been my best lead to any Far-Go items.
Now how about some of your Far-Go stuff Ron?

Posted By: Jack R Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 03:35 AM
I have posted this before in found along the way but thought I would post again.

Posted By: Jack R Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 03:52 AM
1 pound grease can

Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 04 2008 04:11 AM
I found this in a 1935 newspaper from Vernal Utah....

There was even one ad, offering "Gas for Wheat"

Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 01:28 AM
Speaking of hand painted stuff, this tanker belongs to one of my customers.

He told me that it belonged to another Denver based company.....

Does anybody know anything about this company????
Posted By: Chad Haas Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 02:10 AM
What a GREAT post! It would be interesting to see every state!
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 02:12 AM
Scott...Do you think your wife would let you put that tanker in your yard? LOL
Posted By: T-way Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 01:05 PM
Here's a nice Oriental Poly-Octane globe from The Keeper's collection.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 03:18 PM
I was hoping you would post that Oriental globe Jim. I need to find me one of those!
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 04:40 PM
Here is a picture of a Speedway with the car globe. I believe that this version of Speedway globes originally came on screw base orange ripples, but they certainly looks good on a green one, too.

I have a picture of a Far-Go globe somewhere, it'll take some digging but I'll see what I can find and post later on.

Aaron Hop

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 02-05-2008).]
Posted By: oillease55 Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 06:21 PM
A map I
've had for awhile.
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 11:13 PM
BAY PETROLEUM COMPANY

I'm no expert on the Bay Petroleum Company but I know a bit from my research of the Frontier Oil Company. Bay was formed by Charles U. Bay in 1934. Bay, a capitalist from New York, who had several successful business ventures before forming the Bay Petroleum Company. He formed the company with the help of M.H. Robineau who was operating a successful independent oil company in Nebraska called the Western Nebraska Oil Company. Bay provided the money and Robineau had the know-how and marketing experience in the oil industry. With Robineau acting as president and general manager the company acquired a refinery in McPherson, Kansas and built a new refinery in Denver. In 1936 they purchased a small refinery in Cheyenne, WY that would later become the foundation of the Frontier Refining Company. Bay Petroleum's operations were based out of Denver. In 1946 President Harry Truman appointed C.U. Bay the U.S. Ambassador to Norway. A position he held until 1953. Bay died on New Years Eve in 1955. Bay was purchased by, or merged with, Tenneco in the early 1960's. An interesting fact from Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson’s books on gas globes published in 1999 states that "The Bay shield logo, last revised about 1939, is the oldest logo ever to be associated with a major brand that is still in use today, without change."

Here are a few pics of some Bay items.

Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 11:14 PM

Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 05 2008 11:15 PM

Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 06 2008 12:19 AM
Here is my Bay stuff.. I wonder did they make a Bay Ethyl pump plate to go along with my Bay Regular?? [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4ca55af6700000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4b5b2ef2700000035118AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4cb0a6e9000000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Ric
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 06 2008 05:53 PM
Here is a photo of a Far-Go 15" metal body globe. This photo was taken at the Iowa Gas swap meet quite a number of years ago.

Aaron Hop

Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 06 2008 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting that one Aaron. I used to have a picture of it but couldn't find it. Kyle Moore had that globe at IG many years ago. Only wanted to trade it. As a rookie it was impossible to find something to trade with a guy like that!
chris
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 06 2008 08:55 PM
HOLY COW!!!!!! I WANT THAT GLOBE!!!!!
Posted By: hotcidr Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Feb 07 2008 02:01 AM
Check out the rainbow. Everyday is a rainbow in California.
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Feb 07 2008 03:28 AM
Here a couple pictures of Speedway globes..
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d624b3127cceb93a9cc0771800000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d624b3127cceb93a9ccbf62300000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
I will have the Cliff Brice stuff soon..

Ric
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 08 2008 03:13 PM
Here are more photos from rtoil's collection

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 08 2008 03:14 PM

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 08 2008 03:15 PM

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 08 2008 03:17 PM

Next week I will start to dig out some of my photos
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 08 2008 10:30 PM
Saw this one in the globe album, a small company from Greeley CO I think:
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 03:24 AM
Here's a little more Colorado Petro eye candy....

Picture Deleted.... The picture pirates are stealing images again...

This was on one of the two, 36B pumps, that I found not too far from my house. For the story on that, check out.... http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001230.html
The other pump in that deal was adorned with a "Bearcat" decal.... can anybody tell me about that?????

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 02-12-2008).]
Posted By: speedway Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 03:52 AM
ThunderII...that pump cries out for that Fargo globe....a match made in heaven...
Posted By: puregas Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 01:58 PM
Well I figured that I didn't have any Colorado company item's and then it hit me last night that there was one. This was an Ebay purchase from about seven years ago. I think it's an uncommon one. Pat.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 02:41 PM
That's an awesome can Pat. never saw this can before. ;;;;;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 03:43 PM
Great can for sure Pat! I've never seen one. Thanks for posting it.
chris
Posted By: speedway Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 09 2008 04:18 PM
Years ago I saw a Vickers Motor oil sign in an antique store in Denver..with a dog picture on it..it didn't say Denver on it...so..I bought it for a friend..it's somewhere in Florida now...I wish I'd seen this can first!
Posted By: Tokheim Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Feb 10 2008 12:42 PM
Great pictures and info guys!
I can add this from the Simpler Times Museum.
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 12:59 AM
CLIFF BRICE

The son of a postal worker and school teacher mother, Cliff Brice began his business during the height of The Great Depression. From humble beginnings, in 1930 he launched a successful career with his first retail gasoline location at 132 S. Weber, then the outskirts of downtown Colorado Springs, Colorado. Shortly thereafter, a location in downtown Pueblo, Colorado followed at 7th and Grand, next to Rood Candy Company. (They still have a station at that location)

Mr. Brice created a very successful organization based on hard work, sacrifice, and dedication to his customers. Selling “Bronze” gasoline from a small refinery in Enid Oklahoma, called Eason Oil, Cliff Brice Station, Inc soon developed a reputation for quality products at competitive prices.

After a fire destroyed the Eason refinery, Brice was forced to find another source of supply. In 1938, he teamed up with a small Texas refinery, then called Shamrock Oil. Cliff Brice Stations, Inc became the first location in Colorado for Shamrock Oil. Opening up new locations in the San Luis Valley resulted in being the first company to haul gasoline, by truck, over La Veta Pass. Cliff Brice stations remain Diamond Shamrock’s oldest ongoing account.

World War II brought gas rationing and tough times for everyone, including in the petroleum industry. Gasoline was needed for the war effort and very little was available to consumers. Mr. Brice decided to branch out by offering other products and services such as Kerosene and brand named motor oils such as Pennzoil and others, along with minor auto repair and full service stations.

After the war, cars were manufactured larger and more powerful. New grades of gasoline were in demand. Cliff Brice locations were some of the first to carry premium grade gasoline in Southern Colorado. During the 1950’s the Cliff Brice territory covered Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. Business was booming and with the association Diamond Shamrock, Cliff Brice grew to one of the largest independent jobbers in the west.

Although growing, Cliff Brice remained steadfast in its commitment to quality products, (There motto was then and is still today Quality Gas for Less) competitive prices and quality people working for the company. At one time, Cliff Brice Stations owned 75 stations throughout the Rocky Mountain West.

Cliff Brice continues today to be a leader in Southern Colorado as a suppler of
Quality Gas for Less..

Ric
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 01:08 AM
Here are some pictures of my Brice stuff from the 30's to 40's.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4cb466edc00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] There are only a few known Brice globes left.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d908b3127cceb8a2576a567e00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] 42" Brice sign
Ric
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 01:16 AM
Here are a few more of my Cliff Brice faviorte items..I need more!
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4c120ef8f00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] Matching Globe [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4c910efbb00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 01:27 AM
This is a road sign with reflective sand based coating.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4cc70af4100000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
They used this globe up until the 70's
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4c9616efa00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Stamps.. [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc24b3127cceb5c4cbc1ef6b00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Credit Cards! [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cc05b3127cce8029c090b6ed00000016108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]

Bonner Brice, Vice President of Cliff Brice today and grandson of Cliff Brice Sr. gave me a CD with hundreds of old Cliff Brice staton photos.. I will try to post a few in the next few days..

Ric

[This message has been edited by DuceCpe (edited 02-10-2008).]

[This message has been edited by DuceCpe (edited 02-10-2008).]
Posted By: Thunder II Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 01:52 AM
Way to go Ric!!!!!
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 10:25 PM
Here are the 4 styles of quart cans that were used by Cliff Brice. The first 2 are metal. The second two are composite cans. The pennway can is extremely rare. The reason for this was explained to me like this by Bonner Brice in 2005:
"You mentioned the oil cans. My company (75 years strong this year!!) used to produce our own oil. Again, my grandfather began canning oil in the early/mid 1940's. (and I finished the last quart cans myself in the late 1970's - about the time plastic jugs became popular.) They started as Pennway Oil. After a VERY short time in production, he was threatned by the PCOA (Pennsylvania Crude Oil Association) to cease calling the oil PENN-way because the name implied it had something to do with Pennsylvania crude oil. He was ordered to destroy all the cans in his possesion. (Two railroad box cars of Bright yellow metal Pennway cans were taken to the local dump and bulldozed.) This makes the Pennway very scarce. I only have one in my own collection. He then called it General Motor Oil and produced that in metal quart and metal two gallon and 5 gallon cans. Years later the cans went to fiber. In all there were 4 styles of our quart cans. Pennway, General metal, General fiber, and a slightly different design of fiber to finish up."
Posted By: speedway Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 10:33 PM
Great Pics Ric..here's the 3 maps Speedway used.
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Feb 11 2008 10:57 PM
Here are a few more Colorado Qt cans that I don't think have been posted yet.

Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 12:33 AM
It occurred to me after posting the Pat Griffin cans that no one had mentioned it yet so I thought I would do a little on this company.
The Pat Griffin Company was formed on March 8, 1937. They had 3 employees at that time. During the war in the 1940’s the company had to look for other ways to make money to survive. They created a Supply and Transportation Department. Trucks used in this new venture included trucks that hauled cement to lumber yards and army installations. Gasoline trucks hauled gasoline to customers like United Airlines in Cheyenne and Rock Springs, WY.

Pat Griffin

In 1952 the company sold the cement trucks and that part of the business. At the same time they expanded with a retail tire store and a retread plant. An L.P. Gas Department was also added. At this time the company had 16 employees and moved into a new headquarters located in Ft. Collins, CO.

Headquarters in Fort Collins, about 1960.
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 12:34 AM
In its first year of operation the company sold 238,000 gallons of gasoline. In 1961 they sold over 15,000,000 gallons of gas at 21 retail outlets selling Phillips 66 gasoline.
One of the interesting aspects of the Pat Griffin “Gasateria”, “Gasamat” and “Gas-mart” locations was that they used coin operated gas pumps that were open 24 hours a day. As you will see some of the locations were nothing more than a sign and a gas pump located on a dirt lot.

Gasateria #11 in Greeley, CO

Gasateria #5 in Boulder, CO

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 02-11-2008).]
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 12:35 AM

2 Pics of Gasateria #14 in Ault, CO
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 12:37 AM

Gasateria #6 in Erie, CO. At least this one had a phone booth!
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 02:18 AM
Here is one from Pueblo, Colorado.. I have not been able to find any thing about them?? We have a rocker can too, If I can find a picture I will post it..
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d735b3127cce8d1c6e0bec4500000016108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 02:22 AM
Here is the Rocker..
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6cc05b3127cce8029dfb5f65f00000016108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]

Ric
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 02:42 AM
Last one for the night.. Cliff Brice BEER.. I want some!!

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f60b25e5c00000025108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: minuteman Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Feb 12 2008 09:05 PM
I'll have to check my pictures but i think i saw a Jewel globe in a fellows collection..
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 13 2008 01:58 AM
MM
Would love to see it, OWN it..
Thanks
Ric
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 13 2008 02:14 AM
This is the first Cliff Brice station in Pueblo Colorado at 7th & Grand. Notice the Eason globes.. I will have better picturres later.. This location is still in use today.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6e44df9d00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 13 2008 02:23 AM
More Cliff Brice History.. Check out that Eason Globe never have seen it before
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6e2cdff500000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6e68dfb100000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6e30dfe900000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]

[This message has been edited by DuceCpe (edited 02-12-2008).]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 13 2008 02:33 AM
Would like to have that Neon sign
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6f731e0200000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f60485ea600000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
This one has the Eason sign Brice Neon sign and The Brice 'B' globe [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f61601e1600000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Feb 14 2008 01:48 AM
From Rod in Nebraska:
Living near Colorado, I'm really enjoying this thread and thought I'd make a contribution of Colorado brands.
Here are pics of my FRONTIER globe, a patch I bought from EBAY as an original?, a bulk 5 gal. oil can, grease can and a coffee cup purchased a few years back from Suzy's Frontier which I think is still in business in Laramie, Wyoming.
The Bay 5 gal. oil can is one we used for years to haul gas to our swather and finally decided it should be retired when I started collecting gas/oil stuff.
The ice scraper was a give away from my Uncle Ralph and Aunt Georgia's Gas-a-mat station in Greeley, Co. They also ran one in Commerce City, Colo from the early 70s to the mid 80s. If anyone has any of these give aways, maps, globes etc. from either of their Gas-a-mat stations, I'd sure enjoy hearing about it.

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 15 2008 08:35 PM
There was also a small company up in denver called Powerine, we have already done a company of the month on just this company but I will add a few pictures and a link back to that old showcase topic. http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001432.html
This article is dedicated to the pursuit of the Power-Lube tiger. Not a rare animal, but very desirable and highly sought after by collectors. The great graphics on their signs and cans started at 11 original company owned stations that were later distributed to over 450 stations, from the Rocky Mountain region and to the west coast. Today the old stuff is hard to find and usually expensive when you find it. Here is the tale of the tiger…Happy Hunting!
It was founded as “The Denver Powerine Company” on February 7, 1913, in Denver, Co. The original incorporators were J.R.Ross, W.S.Dawson, and Arther Ponsford. The charter gives the purposes, as to “buy, sell, and deal in, job and distribute gasoline, naphtha, kerosene and other petroleum products. The authorized capital stock was 50,000 shares, at a par value of $1.00. Fred Cramer a miner who had made his fortune in Breckenridge Colorado during the gold rush took over Powerine after only 6 months of operation. The “Power-Lube” brand name was introduced almost immediately, and that was joined by “Autocrat” in 1917. In 1918 the change to the final form, “AutOKrat”, was re-registered. The final form of Power-Lube was registered in 1925 (Tiger, lettering style, colors, etc.). Powerine was just as creative when it came to marketing their gasoline by using a Bearcat that represented the high test gasoline. Low end gasoline went by the name Crystal while mid grade was called "72" as in 72 octane. They added a fourth grade when an Ethyl blended product by the name of Bearcat Ethyl. They advertised this new product with some very popular but hard to find matchbooks showing the Bearcat and Ethyl getting married.

By March 1919, the par value of the stock had been raised to $5.00. The Cramer family also incorporated “The Powerine Company of California”, in the 1920’s, which was to engage in exploration, development, refining, transportation, and marketing in Arizona, California, and Nevada, and investment in real estate. They also incorporated the “Powerine Marketers, Inc.” to take over marketing in the states of Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

The company realized the advantages, at the time, of marketing Pennsylvania motor oil and they were fairly early member of the Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil Association. Their signs and cans bore the organization’s “football-shaped” symbol with the permit #127.

On April 8, 1927 the company name was officially changed to “The Powerine Company”.

The end was in sight in 1945, when The Powerine Company, The Powerine Company of California, and Powerine Marketers, Inc. were completely bought out by a Jersey Standard subsidery-Penola. Penola immediately registered the Oval E trademark and started rebranding the 450+ Powerine stations and redesigning all the product containers. The end of Powerine came in with the beginning of 1946, with the acquisition of all it’s assets by the Carter Oil Company. The Carter Oval E signage disappeared around 1959, as it evolved into the Enco brand. Only five employees were offered severance packages because they were greater the 50 years of age. The compensation packages were less then $5,000 for each person depending on how many years they had worked at Powerine.

The Powerine stations, that operated in the Los Angeles area since that time, have nothing to do with the Cramer family or Jersey Standard/Exxon. They were operated by what had been the Rothchild Oil Company. Rothchild simply changed their name and re-registered the Powerine name when it was abandoned by Exxon in 1972. Definitely not to be confused with the Rocky Mountain Powerine. The artwork on their colorful cans has electrons orbiting around a large atom, with their name in the nucleus. The porcelain pump plates were a simple white background with red lettering.

The PowerLube porcelain signs are out there in number, and are very popular and sought after by collectors. The rare thing to find is a PowerLube or Powerine sign in excellent or better condition. There is the story of an irrigation ditch discovered outside of Pueblo, CO that was lined with Power-Lube signs. The owner sold them to a scrap metal dealer, and they were probably destined to be melted down at the big C.F.&I. steel refinery in Pueblo. A sign collector found them in the scrap yard, and was literally buying Power-Lube signs by the pound! He hauled them out to Iowa Gas, and resold them all to other sign collectors. I think that is why so many signs you see have that “white haze” damage, which will almost never buff out. They were once one of the many ditch signs, submerged underwater years ago, and oxidized with age. Another PowerLube sign discovery has surfaced recently on Ebay. The seller is putting about one sign a week up for auction, and has been selling them for quite a few weeks, maybe months. Soon we will here the story behind this great find!

The common porcelain signs were made by at least 2 different manufacturers, the Wolverine Porcelain Company (with white-outlined letters) and the ENESCO Company (without the white-outlining). The common size is the 24”x28” two-sided sign. They also made a reflector-ized tin sign, in that same size, which was used as a curb sign. An original curb sign in it's wrought iron frame was discovered at the annual Big-3 Swap Meet in San Diego, at the Charger Stadium. It is held every February. There was also a small embossed, one-sided tin sign from the Cork & Badge Company, St.Louis, MO, however, to date only one sign known to exist. An interesting Ebay find!

Powerine was a marketing machine. Fred Cramer was president of the independent oil mans association and believed in marketing to ensure the company could compete with the ‘cut rate’ suppliers, as well as the better known national brands. The used door-to-door letter drops to introduce stations in the immediate area. Powerine used give-a-ways and Powerine stamp collecting to earn oil products, or other household products, such as dishes (without the Powerine logo). They also used other advertising media such as traveling billboards, ads in atlases, children’s' Speedtest board games, radio shows, midget racing sponsorship, pin the tail on the Bearcat promotion and many other gas station promotions. One of my favorite quotes from a the "Powerine Prompter" made note of the large number of old service station gas pumps that they had collected (and destroyed!) for the war effort in WWII.

Little known tiger trivia… Legend has it that the early Power-Lube Tiger was copied in Great Britain, as the more familiar Esso Tiger. When the famous Esso / Exxon Tiger was imported to the U.S. from Great Britain, for the 1960’s “Put a Tiger in your Tank” ad campaign, it was actually the Power-Lube Tiger brought back, after being exported to Great Britain in the first place!

This article was written by Craig Palmer and Scott Wright. We have researched the company and facts with the information that was available. If you have any items from this company we would love to hear from you!
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 15 2008 08:39 PM

Only one known 13 1/2 in lense, not that pretty but rare

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 15 2008 08:41 PM
A very cool pump! Richard when is it being delivered???
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Feb 17 2008 03:31 AM
A fargo sign from a west coast bash:
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 12:52 AM
The month is almost gone so.. Here is a few more CLIFF BRICE pictures.. Enjoy
Ric
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f61519f1700000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f61cf9f8900000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Here are some of the rare Pennway quarts [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f66fcdf2100000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] Bonner Brice said they mainly used Tokheim Pumps Rare B globe. [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f66aedf7300000025108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 12:58 AM
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f6688df5500000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] where did all those clock face pumps go,, I can't find em here??
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f65039f4700000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] I want one of these pumps!!!
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f65c41eb000000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 01:12 AM
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f65b21ec600000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img] Notice the tokheim 39 or 300 double pumps..

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f79c21eb800000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f68ae5e4400000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Last one.. hope you enjoyed it.. Ric
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d636b3127cceba6f7839dfeb00000026108AbuWTho3ZNL[/img]
Posted By: TigerHunter Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 04:09 AM
Great job guys! It makes me homesick for Colorado. Neat old stuff.
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 01:46 PM
Some more colorado pics:

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 01:50 PM

[img]http://www.frontrangegas.com/colorado/Dsc02806.jpe[/img]

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 01:51 PM

Starskey Coin Op Gas Pump
Posted By: RacerWalt Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Feb 27 2008 02:26 PM
I have a photo of a Cliff Brice/Shamrock station in Cheyenne, Wyo. I took in 1958. However, I lack the computer knowledge to post it on here. If anyone wants a scan of the photo, email me at wwimer39@zoominternet.net and I will send you one.

Walt
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Mar 16 2008 02:48 PM
Great pictures. I have a couple of history stories and pictures for you Colorado buffs.

I was in Pueblo junking some 15 years ago. I was working some of the bulk plants and old stations. There was a station owned by an Italian family. The man working there was some relation, but the owners seldom came in. He told me there was some "old mule" lenses in the back still in the box. Man, I worked on getting to see those lenses for years. One day the man came in my restaurant in Salida and I picked up his ticket. He told me to stop by next time I was in Pueblo. Of course I had to make myself wait a week. Anyway, I went down there in these were the result. It was a little let down, but what I piece of history. Hand painted on glass lenses. One extra lense is half painted.

The gramps globe I found in back of a old Garage in the San Luis Valley about 10 years ago. There was a small refinery in Alamosa (Oriental). The guy said it may have has some association. This might have been the one thing Clarence Svenson passed up. The door to the shed was not even closed. It was laying in the dirt. The owner said there was nothing in there.

I have quite a few more stories, but they will have to wait. The Cascade, I believe to by from Colorado also.

[This message has been edited by coltex (edited 03-16-2008).]
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Mar 16 2008 02:53 PM

Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Mar 16 2008 02:56 PM
Sorry about the image problem

Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Mar 17 2008 06:55 PM
Wow- great find!!! Thanks for the info and the story. Love it!
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Mar 17 2008 10:15 PM
Wow Clifton, I love that Pueblo Tire sign .. You got an extra? There used to be one at a local antique store but it is gone?? Is this it?
Ric
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Mar 18 2008 02:32 AM
I do not have an extra tire sign. I worked on the one in the antique store for 8 years.

By the way, Andy Dandy was out of Ft. Collins, but started in a tiny town outside of Ft. Collins. I can not remember the name of the town right now, but I have a business card somewhere. Here is a picture of the pump which was eventually supplied to all of the gaseteria stations in the western United States for Pat Griffin. This invention made him super rich. No connection to Starkey pumps. I might post the gasateria lens later.
Here is a great ad for your enjoyment. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by coltex (edited 03-17-2008).]

Posted By: WesternNebrOilCo Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Mar 19 2008 03:32 AM
Finally I got a answer on what globe I had " black mule " I thought is was another company. My globe was hand painted and on a red ripple body. What a great sight for info on little known companys. Lyle
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Mar 19 2008 05:08 PM
Lyle, give me a call. I would like to visit with you about the globe lenses. 512-413-4459. thanks
Posted By: minuteman Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Mar 31 2008 02:49 AM
Finally found picture....not in focus real good though....anyone ever seen another?
[URL=http://imageshack.us] [/URL

By the Jewel Co.

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited 03-30-2008).]

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited 03-30-2008).]
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Apr 03 2008 01:23 AM
ONE MORE FOR YOU COLORADO GUYS. THIS SMALL COMPANY WAS FROM DENVER AS WELL.
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Apr 03 2008 01:48 AM
Never heard of or seen that one Clifton! Do you know anything about it?
Nice globe!
chris
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Apr 03 2008 01:14 PM
Chris, Just a tiny company with a few station in Denver. I had a lense that was found in Denver and then I found another one that had been found in Denver. I have never heard about it from anyone else. That is all I can figure.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Apr 03 2008 05:44 PM
Wow...there are several globes shown here that I've never seen or even heard of before. That Split Second is killer, to say the least. Thanks for sharing, Clifton.

Aaron Hop
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Apr 03 2008 05:49 PM
Very Nice Clifton! Keep em coming! New Colorado stuff is great to see.
Thanks
Ric
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 03 2008 02:47 PM
I bought an Eaton catalog at Iowa gas that had a nice picture of a powerine station in it:

Also it had a new globe discovery, the center oil pump has a Powerlube Motor Oil Globe. I am sure it looked just like the bearcat globe but with the powerlube tiger in the center. TOO COOL:
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 03 2008 02:51 PM
same book a fargo pic:

There are a couple pics of tanker trucks in it from other companies such as sommers. I will scan them later.
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 03 2008 02:55 PM
sommers
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Aug 05 2008 11:42 PM
Thanks for posting those pics Scott. Any mention of Western Nebraska Oil Company? Any date? The reason I ask is Eaton Metal Products Company was a supplier of tanks and steel equipment for the oil industry in and around Denver. They were a big part of getting the W.N.O.C. started along with Fred Cramer of Powerine. They both extended a line of credit to M.H. Robineau that helped Robineau start WNOC. WNOC evenually became part of Bay before Bay and Robineau split. Robineau then started Frontier Oil Company after that split and took back control of many of the original WNOC stations.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Aug 07 2008 10:32 PM
Wow! A Powerlube motor oil globe, Bet Scott would mortgage the farm for that on!!
Posted By: TigerHunter Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 31 2008 05:31 PM
Hey Scott, Great job on this topic!

I am a little rusty at this ....

Here is an early Denver Powerine 5 lbs. Grease Can that belongs in your collection.

------------------
[email:capalmers@aol.com]capalmers@aol.com[/email]
Posted By: TigerHunter Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 31 2008 05:36 PM
These photos are long overdue....

An early blue and yellow PowerLube 5 Gallon square oil can.

Best Regards, Craig "P-Lube" Palmer

Got PowerLube for sale? Please email me...

------------------
Posted By: TigerHunter Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 31 2008 05:44 PM
Got it bad for PowerLube...I love it!

Got any PowerLube for sale? Please email Craig ...

------------------
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sun Aug 31 2008 07:28 PM
I love that little grease can!

You know my address just tell me which kid you want me to rename after you :-)
Posted By: hawkike Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Sep 02 2008 03:53 AM
The ANDY DANDY globe--the name was taken from a co.called AUTOMATIC DEVICES INC.,Fort Collins i believe.
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Mon Aug 03 2015 06:03 PM
Still cool to find these cans .......

Attached picture 100_4084[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Aug 04 2015 04:12 AM
United Dividend Corp.

Attached picture United%20Dividend%201941[1].jpg
Posted By: 1965CHPCSP Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Aug 04 2015 01:12 PM
Nice Speedway can. It appears to be in excellent condition.
Nice find.
Mike
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Aug 11 2015 10:52 PM
More Speedway Cans .........

Attached picture 100_4084[1].JPG
Attached picture 100_4156[1].JPG
Attached picture 100_4160[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Aug 11 2015 10:56 PM
5 lb Grease Can

Attached picture 100_4149[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Aug 26 2015 02:20 AM
Cliff Brice Service Station Uniform Patch

Attached picture 100_4196[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed Oct 07 2015 09:55 PM
Far-go Oil Can

Attached picture 100_4323[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Thu Feb 04 2016 11:53 PM
Colorado Brand Oil Cans ......

Attached picture 100_4673[1].JPG
Posted By: powerlube Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Feb 05 2016 11:47 PM
Bay is really cool!
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Feb 06 2016 05:06 PM
Here's a few Salt & Pepper sets

Attached picture Bay 1.jpg
Attached picture Bay 2.jpg
Attached picture Frontier.jpg
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed May 04 2016 09:37 PM
United Dividend Corporation Cans ....... Speedway and Gold State

Attached picture 100_4610[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Wed May 04 2016 09:38 PM
Speedway 1 and 5 pound cans ......

Attached picture 100_5129[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Jun 02 2017 01:33 AM
Hard to find Speedway Service Station hat ...

Attached picture 100_6520[1].JPG
Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Jun 02 2017 03:05 AM
found this one in a shed behind an old garage in Antonito, Co 20 years ago. Didn't know if I ever posted this.

Posted By: coltex Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Jun 02 2017 03:07 AM
Again, didn't remember if I ever posted the one from Denver.

Posted By: 1965CHPCSP Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Jun 02 2017 12:06 PM
Excellent globes Clifton. Wow!! đź‘Ť
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Fri Jun 02 2017 12:16 PM
I picked up another Bay S&P version since I last posted on this thread.

Attached picture Bay Set 3.jpg
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Oct 14 2017 01:12 AM
Motor Royal Oil Company ............. Denver Colorado

Attached picture 100_7165[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Sat Oct 14 2017 01:17 AM
Pueblo Oil Company ....... Pueblo Colorado

Attached picture 1[1].JPG
Posted By: Valdezee Re: COTM- The Colorado Brands! - Tue Oct 17 2017 12:42 AM
Colorado Brand Cans ........

Attached picture 100_7214[1].JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk