Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards Some more smalls - Wed Mar 11 2009 09:25 PM
As a good portion of you know I collect a number of different smalls. I am looking to add to a specific collection,"Mazda Headlight Lamps". I know that a number of the members here collect the different tins, as do I. I also have a seperate collection of the lamps. Working in the stations as a youngster and helping my dad restore the cars he worked on, both needed to have headlight lamps on hand at all times. The boxes of lamps were stacked and handled so much that after awhile the labels on the boxes became unreadable. I want to show those different designs. As I said I am always looking to add to my collection and I am always wanting to see what the "other guy" has. So if you collect these lamps and the tins please share a photo or a ton of photos if you have a large collection. Here are mine;

I have some extra lamps in the For Sale section that I am looking to trade for other brands of lamps. These lamps are getting harder to find especially lamps still in the sleeve.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 05:25 PM
I was hoping for some support here people, LOL. Maybe it's just that few people collect these lamps and tins, or you are too shy to post? The tins are true "Americana". Before the "sealed beam" headlight of 1940. The headlight lamp was the "king" of illumination. Unfortunately its light output was weak, prone to breakage and hard to keep in focus. The lamps along with taillight bults and fuses were replaced regularly. So the "tin" was used by car manufactures, lamp manufactures and auto parts stores to have a "handy" place to keep extra lamps. Some of the "kits" had just headlight and taillight lamps. Others had enough room for 2 headlight lamps, 2 taillight lamps and a couple different sizes of fuse. Here are some close up photos of my collection of tins, I hope you enjoy them;
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 05:32 PM

Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 05:43 PM

Tins that aren't all "beat to ...." are getting harder to find and pricing reflects that. These tins were tossed in glove compartments or tool boxes in cars. Later either tossed or used for keeping small items in. Cardboard boxes of lamps were used by Gas Stations and Auto Parts stores. Since they were made of cardboard they didn't usually last long on the shelves. Here are a few of my boxes;

Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 06:14 PM
hey bob the tins are cool!i dont collect them and actually most all of my smalls are packed away right now,until i come up with a new display case.kepp it up.i still enjoy looking! mick
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 09:04 PM
Lookin good there Bob smile
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:41 PM
I forgot to include these lamps in my photos. They don't have sleeves so they throw me off, but they are very early "reflective lamps".

Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 10:54 PM
I don't have many but here they are. Richard
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Thu Mar 12 2009 11:20 PM
Those are Great Richard! I really like those sparkplug boxes, too.
Posted By: mapper Re: Some more smalls - Fri Mar 13 2009 06:33 PM
I have a friend who is technology illiterate, and rather stubborn about trying new things. He lives out of state, but I plan on visiting him in a month or two. I know he has a good handful of bulb boxes and tins. I'll snap some pictures when i'm there and post them afterwards!

Alan
Posted By: mapper Re: Some more smalls - Fri Mar 13 2009 06:54 PM
The reason I mention he's stubborn and technology illiterate, is that i've tried to get him to post on oldgas, and potentially post pictures, but he refuses! So, I guess i'll do it for him. smile
Posted By: quincy oil&gas Re: Some more smalls - Fri Mar 13 2009 10:53 PM
hey bob nice collection of bulb tins, i think if i came across some i would bring them home.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Some more smalls - Sat Mar 14 2009 02:45 AM
I thought that I'd get in on this....

Heres a few cans....

And a few tags....

And some other smalls....

The display, in the third pic, gets rotated about every three months. Whenever I feel that its time to dust them off. That stuff goes into storage, then some other stuff gets put out. Different maps are put out as well.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Sat Mar 14 2009 03:28 AM
Looks great Jeff. Next time you swap items out just send them my way. I promise to return them .... in say... no more than 20 yrs, LOL.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Some more smalls - Wed Mar 18 2009 05:21 PM
I consider cans and maps to be smalls, so here is part of my map collection;

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk