Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Donnie Boger Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 04:14 AM
As I stated in my New Guy thread, I am going to be restoring my first pump, a Bowser 585. My plan is to turn it into a Hancock pump to surprise my dad. The station we both worked at growing up was a Hancock station when he worked there. I am leaning towards orange sides and top with the white doors. while taking the pump apart today I noticed some of the old paint flaking off so I decided to take a couple of layers off. After doing so I found that this pump used to have RPM decals on it.. Here are a couple of pictures before I took it apart today. I had to bust out my torches and heat up some of the screws .

Here it is disassembled. Notice the burned paint from the heat of the torch

Does anybody know what this hole is for? It is on the same side as the reset crank.

This is my next little project after I get the base and frame painted, the computer looks like it will take me a while to do, looks like there are a lot of little parts in there.

Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 04:25 AM
Here are the rest I took today.

Here you can see where the studs broke off for the sight glass warning plate. 3 of them on one door and 2 on the other. I am going to have the guys at school weld on some more studs.

This is the only rust problem besides the rusty bolts, nuts and screws. I am going to be making a new bottom part to the door.

And here you can make out the words RPM, Chevron, outboard motor oil.

Now I have a couple of questions. Where would I put the "contains lead" plate? On the sides or the corner of the doors? Would I use a vinyl decal or porcelain plate? Also should I use a porcelain pump plate or vinyl water slide decal. Keep in mind I am going to be using a 13.5" globe on top of the pump. I am not sure if I am going to be using Hancock ad glass or not yet. Any input will help me out greatly.
Thanks
Donnie
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 04:39 AM
The Hole is Probably for a Light Switch. Use Porcelain "Contains Lead" signs vinyl decals look Cheesy you wouldn't be happy with them. I would say they most likely go on the side panels. The First Picture of the side panel you show looks like it has 4 small holes in it, most likely that is where the small Contains lead sign goes.
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 04:23 PM
Thanks to Ted and the hot tank at the college the doors, sides, and top are now soaking. When I get home from school today I am going to finish gutting it and start cleaning the computer up.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 05:21 PM
Good start. I will show you where the lead signs go and find you a deal on some originals. Donnie is a quick learner when it comes to cars and doing good with pumps also. I told him I always take the best students with me to the gas bash. He is the first in 34 years of teaching. Not bad.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Mar 16 2009 05:38 PM
looking good there!Wow!"gaspumps 101"never had a class like that when i went to school!!and ted roach as the teach!!this young man scored big time!! keep the pics comin!!

Attached picture ted.jpg
Attached picture ted.jpg
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Mar 17 2009 12:59 AM
Thanks Ted it means a lot to hear something like that. And we need a gas pump restoration class too..lol
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Mar 17 2009 03:26 PM
Me likey the Chevron. Keep up the good work and pictures.
Mike
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Mar 17 2009 09:04 PM
will do, and here you go. Its now in the body shops hands.

Since it is now in the body shops hands I can turn my attention to the base and frame as well as the computer.
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Mar 18 2009 12:43 AM
My poor computer has seen better days...a lot better days. The good news is I was able to spin the "This Sale" dials all the way around to 999, but I can't get them to reset. There is going to be a whole of pressure washing and soaking in WD 40.

Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Thu Apr 30 2009 10:31 PM
Well got the frame back from the sand blasters today, have it primed and ready to do the body work on the base (I will be doing that here at home)

Here she is as bare metal

And here she is as primed

I can't wait for the body shop to finish the doors and skins, now I need to take apart the computer to restore the wheels.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri May 01 2009 12:58 PM
Haven't done a pump yet but truely enjoy watching this through all the photos. Feel like I'm almost a part of it all somehow!! There's a pile of elbo grease going around here lately. You may need some of it for that computer!! Keep up the good work and the slide show. It's been educational.
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Aug 22 2009 10:01 AM
Our body shop class takes forever to get anything done, but yesterday I was over there checking out the progress on the pump, it doesn't even look like the same pump I dropped off. The one door with a good portion missing from rust doesn't even look like it was missing. All the parts are in primer and the guys are doing the final wet sanding before the color coat. I have decided to do the doors in orange and the sides and top in black. And since I took a welding class over the summer I cannot wait to get my next pump and do all the work myself. I have yet to tackle the computer, I might just send it out and have it done. The base and frame are almost done, I just need to do a little more body work on the base. All of the cast iron parts that I kept are blasted and ready for some cast iron engine paint. I need to get started on building the island for my display. So for now there are no new pics, sorry. I thought I would let you guys know the progress on the pump and progress is very slow...lol
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Aug 22 2009 11:36 AM
Keep us Updated!!!
Posted By: Koolmotor Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Aug 25 2009 12:33 AM
Love them Bowsers - that's some bad hat Harry!
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Aug 25 2009 06:29 PM
Looks GOOD! and it only seems slow! Your doing real good! Thanks for sharing your project! Take care! tt
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Sep 23 2009 12:28 AM
Look what I got from the body shop today

Guess I have a reason to finish the base now...lol
Posted By: advertologist Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Sep 23 2009 12:44 AM
THAT'S GOING TO BE A KILLER HANCOCK PUMP!
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 12:27 AM
7 Months seems like forever, so here is a teaser shot for you guys. I picked up the sides and top today. grin This is all in mock up, nothing is bolted down. And what looks like stuff on the sides is actually the reflections of the stuff on the floor lol.

After Ted and I fooled with the VR we decided it's just best to send it out. I have been waiting for what seems like forever to get to this point, but it is so worth it to me. I still need to finish the base, as of right now I am working on the light manifold.
What do you guys think?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 12:42 AM
Looking GOOD.
Sure looks like ya need to clean the shop & give yourself more room to work !
Using an Auto Mech. teacher to redo a VR ! LOL
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 12:44 AM
LOL, thanks Dick, the shop is actually clean, I was just to lazy and excited to move the pump into the center to put the skins on. I had to at least take a stab at the VR (and it stabbed me right back LOL)
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 03:56 AM
I know a Good Plumber in Georgia that can help !
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 01:45 PM
Dick I've been there. If he kept my shop at the college this dirty I'd fire him. Too busy with school and pump building to clean it up I guess. LOL Ted
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 03:30 PM
Looks good so far Donnie smile
Posted By: eshaver Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 08:29 PM
Very interesting Don ! Seems you have several projects going on as I can tell from the model forum you are a multi talented soul ! Oh yeah watch yer mail box, Im late as usual but Im hurryin up O K ? Ed Shaver
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 10:02 PM
Ed, the way I figure it the more projects I have going on the less time I spend in the bars, which in turns means I have more money for my projects and hobbies. I'll be watching the mail box, thanks again.
Donne
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 28 2009 10:16 PM
That's right less drinking is good. Save it for the weekends and gas bashes. NO DRINKING on school nights. Ted
Posted By: eshaver Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Thu Oct 29 2009 01:49 PM
Don , I too had a problem with certain things for years . It took several therapists but I finially overcame some of my shortcommings back in the ninties . Meanwhile , I like the shade of Orang you chose for the Bowser , I always liked Orange too ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Nov 18 2009 04:38 PM
well, just placed my order for all the remaing parts, its getting closer. Nothing like almost finishing a project. lol
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri Nov 20 2009 04:14 AM
and here is the final mock up

Posted By: keithia Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri Nov 20 2009 06:41 PM
This pump is painted EXACTLY like my first pump I restored which was a Bowser 575 in Phillips 66. Awesome looking pump even if the colors are not historically correct for Phillips 66. Your Hancock pump looks great already.

Keith
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri Nov 20 2009 08:02 PM
Thank you.

Got my order from Vic's today, been in the garage playing around. Still waiting on the trim to get here. And I still need to send off the Veeder Root. The "Contains Lead" plates are Originals, everything else is repop. I need to run to home depot to get some stuff for the light manifold, but this sucker will light up tonight.. LOL here are some pics.

Posted By: Vermonter Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri Nov 20 2009 10:10 PM
Thats a great looking pump Donnie.
When its done, have a beer on me.
John
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Nov 21 2009 02:55 AM
Looking good there Donnie smile
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Nov 21 2009 03:07 PM
Gas pumps made me quit drinking on a regular basis.
It was not wise to be hitting bulk plants, farms, and businesses hung over or with alchohol on your breath.
Then there were the constant hours on the road.
Plus after spending all my money, I had something to show for it. Something that could be transformed into more cash, for more junk hunting.
Gas pumps are good for you!!!!!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Nov 21 2009 03:23 PM
I COULDNT AGREE MORE THERE JOE smile I stopped drinking when I turned 21 LOL laugh laugh
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Nov 21 2009 03:44 PM
I was 25.
But that was so long ago, the drinking age was 18 when I was 18.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Nov 23 2009 08:58 PM
It looks like you are getting a little cocky with your first pump. LOL
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Nov 23 2009 09:00 PM
Where did you get that NOS original Lead sign from? Ted
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Nov 24 2009 12:58 AM
WOW
Looks like I better get the ad glass done & in the mail, or you'll be banging on my bad hand !
db
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:37 PM
DB, take your time with the ad glass, I have a sub for now (lol) anyways, she is 95% done. The last 5% being the computer. I will try to get some pics when it is dark and the pump lit up. Gas pumps are addicting, I am already looking for another one, lol
Donnie

Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Nov 24 2009 08:58 PM
Beer might be cheaper but pumps last longer. Nice job dude. Ted
PS the garage looks a lot cleaner.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Nov 24 2009 09:09 PM
nice job donnie,wont be long and you'll have a bunch
Posted By: eshaver Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Nov 25 2009 12:58 AM
Don that pump is to die for ! I wan it ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Nov 25 2009 01:12 AM
"Gas pumps are addicting" DOOOOOH
To make sure ya find something @ Bakersfield to buy, I'll have your ad glass there !
Look for a 1 handed Grumpy Old F*rt !
db
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Nov 25 2009 01:24 AM
lol, I am going to come down to bakersfield on Saturday
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Nov 25 2009 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: jkyocom
I was 25.
But that was so long ago, the drinking age was 18 when I was 18.

...I started when I was 20, or 21...or maybe 19...about the same time I got serious about gas stuff...

...hmmm... confused
Posted By: pollyman Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Thu Dec 03 2009 07:42 PM
Just saw this! Good job Donnie! Can't wait to see what is next. Now I know why my pump hasn't been painted yet. LOL. ~Jason
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Dec 05 2009 04:05 AM
Mine was painted before your dads lol, I need to come up to your office and take a look around, I saw the pictures you dad has.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Dec 05 2009 01:35 PM
Don , that pump will make an outstanding addition to your Dad's collection won't it ? Ed Shaver
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Dec 05 2009 05:06 PM
If he had one Ed, Im the only one who Collects
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Dec 05 2009 08:24 PM
"lol, I am going to come down to bakersfield on Saturday"
NO SHOW DONNIE.
Bed must have been warmer than the car !
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sat Dec 05 2009 11:01 PM
Dads car went down, he stole mine frown
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sun Dec 06 2009 02:51 AM
Hey Donnie, are you ready for a tall Bowser? I have this one you can have for $400.00. It is an earlier one with the extra wide mouldings that the later one do not have. It needs faces and a side access door.
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sun Dec 06 2009 10:13 PM
If I had a way to get it here Matt I would be all over it
Posted By: tulareone Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Dec 07 2009 04:08 AM
nice job donnie--did you happen to code the color for the paint--if i can id like to get the code --is it single stage--keep up the good work ruben
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Dec 07 2009 04:28 AM
Ruben, Ted has the paint code, I will try to get it from him, I know it is a Mack Truck Orange. It is a color then clear paint.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Mon Dec 07 2009 01:56 PM
Don your Bowser sure turned out fine ! Oh check yer mail later this week too . Ed Shaver
Posted By: ToonMan Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Sun Jul 03 2011 07:54 AM
So far so Good!!! Looks great!!!!
Posted By: ToonMan Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Tue Jul 05 2011 08:15 AM
Looks Great!!!!!
Posted By: Donnie Boger Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Fri Aug 30 2013 11:45 PM
Wow, it has been two years since I have checked this place out. Life kinda got in the way and the pump was shoved into the back of my parents garage. I dug it out today before I came to work and started doing inventory on it. Found I am missing a few things, no big deal I can get replacements. I should be picking it up this weekend and moving it to my place. I want to finish this thing off, it has been sitting for way too long.
Posted By: hri_2008 Re: Bowser 585 Restoration. My first attempt. - Wed Oct 16 2013 08:22 PM
I just purchased a Bowser 585 on the weekend. Found this page in my search. It was nice to see your step by step progress.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk