Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: texaspelican COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:14 AM
This month's collectible is gas/oil/auto related license plate toppers...show em if you got em!!!! grin
Posted By: texaspelican Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 01:19 AM
My one and only topper..
Bill Fortune brought this to me 3 years ago at Iowa gas....thanks for parting with it Bill. Looks great in my collection now.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 02:28 AM
I'm glad to see the Collectible of the Month feature going again. Thanks, Paddy, for volunteering to host it. Let's support this feature by posting images and a description or story if you have one.
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 02:44 AM
What is collectable of the month and how does it work
thanks
rick Nelson
It sure would be neet if you could talk the old timers(looks like there are quite a few)into telling more about the old days of collecting. Any thing to give us something to day dream about and maybe give us some ideas on things that are being thrown away now that we will be kicking ourselves over later.
thanks
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 03:01 AM
I'm in. Here are mine, nothing great but they're mine, lol.

Posted By: Oldgas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 03:08 AM
There is a new format for Collectible of the Month. Paddy will post a topic each month with a focus on a certain type of petroliana collectible. Members are encouraged to post pictures of their items that are the type of collectible that is being featured for that month.

The new twist is that Paddy has the option to focus on a specific company's items or a certain collectible item from many companies. This month it's license plate advertising toppers. Another month in the future could be Wayne 60 gas pumps or Shell gas & oil signs.
Posted By: Jack R Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 04:45 AM
This is not mine, was in the windmill museum in Shattuck Oklahoma

Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 10:47 AM
I only Have one topper in my Collection and it is not real old it was Made in the early 1980's for the Antique Motorcycle Club.
Posted By: Maps for the memories Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 02:27 PM
Nice to see COTM back again. Nicer if I had something to contribute! Thank you, Paddy.
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 03:09 PM

A COUPLE SELDOM SEEN VEEDOL TOPPERS!!!! TXS ALAN
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 03:13 PM
Posted By: Savinsam Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 08:00 PM
Pittsburgh Auto Club

Description: Not a topper but a "sider"! Pittsburgh Auto Club
Attached picture 001.JPG
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 09:05 PM
It's nice to see COTM back again. Paddy....You da man! Is this going to be limited to purely petro or is there going to be any wiggle room for closely related items?
Posted By: grabber Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Mon Aug 10 2009 11:36 PM

The lone Husky piece in my collection...
Posted By: Oldgas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Tue Aug 11 2009 12:06 AM
Dave,
We welcome petroleum and automotive related toppers. Sure wouldn't want to turn away that cool Pittsburgh Motor Club or the figural motorcycle topper.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Tue Aug 11 2009 01:28 AM
Here is a Sinclair, beware of repo's.

Couple odds and ends

Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Tue Aug 11 2009 01:38 PM
That Sinclair with the dinosaur is super cool! Want to adopt a daughter, Wes? wink
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Tue Aug 11 2009 10:42 PM
That's great Jim. Leaves the door open for so many other possibilities both now and down the road.

The Husky rocks!!
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Wed Aug 12 2009 01:42 AM
GREAT TOPPERS!FEW MORE.

Attached picture MVC-003S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-004S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-005S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-006S.JPG
Posted By: texaspelican Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Wed Aug 12 2009 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
There is a new format for Collectible of the Month. Paddy will post a topic each month with a focus on a certain type of petroliana collectible. Members are encouraged to post pictures of their items that are the type of collectible that is being featured for that month.

The new twist is that Paddy has the option to focus on a specific company's items or a certain collectible item from many companies. This month it's license plate advertising toppers. Another month in the future could be Wayne 60 gas pumps or Shell gas & oil signs.

Collectible of the month has always been one of my favorite topics along with company of the month (wish that would come back). I have been thinking about it for awhile and finally ask Jim if I could bring it back....thanks Jim.

We would like to see your contribution to this topic.
Can't post pic's? You can email them to me and I will do my best to post them for you.
Now let's see some more.
Posted By: 32 gas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 12:55 AM
Here are some auto related license plate toppers.

Attached picture yop.JPG
Attached picture to.JPG
Attached picture topp.JPG
Posted By: hawkike Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 01:02 AM

I think someone got a bit creative with the "Shell Pecten" not me!
Posted By: hawkike Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 01:04 AM

A few more
Posted By: texaspelican Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 02:04 AM
I was waiting to see the first little red pony.
Isn't there 2 other versions of the mobil topper?
So far I like em all...makes me want to start collecting toppers. It seems to be an affordable area of the hobby.
Let's see some more!!!!
Posted By: mobilford Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 03:56 AM
Some of my Socony collection

Attached picture collection2 001small.jpg
Attached picture collection2 003small.jpg
Attached picture collection2 008small.jpg
Posted By: Tokheim Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 09:43 AM
Here are mine...
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 10:55 AM
Wow!!! Nice Toppers Guys!!!
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 02:13 PM
Mobilford
Do you have your Repro/Fantasy Mobil display in the Known Reproductions section?

With close up photos?
Posted By: hawkike Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 03:37 PM

I assume this could be called a "topper"???
Posted By: ranchpump Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 13 2009 09:10 PM
How about a "working" topper? This Phillips 66 topper is on my 1934 Ford pickup to memorialize its service for 50 years at a Phillips 66 station in the Shenandoah Valley. The second picture shows the truck in its "work" clothes. It is now retired in California.

Posted By: tjhvintage Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 14 2009 01:11 AM
This has always been my favorite and I'll bet Veedol Al likes it too!

Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 14 2009 03:47 AM
YOU BET I DO!!!! IS THIS THE ONE THAT WAS ON EBAY AWHILE BACK????I TRIED TO GET ONE LIKE THIS ONE FOR A LONG TIME FOR MY COLLECTION,,,TXS A LOT FOR SHARING YOU MADE MY DAY FOR SURE!!! ALAN
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 14 2009 12:31 PM
Posted By: mobilford Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 14 2009 09:32 PM
No but I will put something together and show all the reproductions and fantasy Socony toppers.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 20 2009 12:36 AM
Isn't the correct name for these "Pectin or Pecten?"

About a year ago someone wrote a small book about all the ones that Mobil used. He sent me a copy, but I can't find it right now. Will post a picture of the cover soon, can't copy the pictures as they are copywrited.

Jack Sim
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 20 2009 12:56 AM
...Allis-Chalmers porcelain sign came off of a transformer - they made two different sizes...a buddy of mine in the hobby worked as a lineman for years and had them all the time...
Posted By: Oldgas Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Thu Aug 20 2009 11:31 PM
Jack,
The pecten word refers to the scallop shell shape that Shell Oil has used as its logo.

http://perpenduum.com/2007/11/evolution-of-the-pecten-shell-logo/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pecten_maximus_Pilgermuschel.jpg

Shell often used the pectin logo on its license toppers and some may have referred to all toppers generically as pectens.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 21 2009 01:37 AM

Here are a few that you don't see too often.
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Fri Aug 21 2009 11:25 AM
Lots of Great Toppers Guys!!!!
Posted By: mobilford Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 03:21 AM
Jack,

I sent you the booklet on the Socony (Mobil) toppers. I am getting ready to do the fifth update as I have some new information including the Japanese version and more on the Australian toppers. I still have a few copies left of the fourth printing if any "oldgas" guys are interested.

Regards, Dave Reynolds
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 04:04 AM
TXS DENNIS FOR SHARING YOUR TOPPERS!!! AWESOME !!!!! ALAN
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 10:07 PM

Here are a few more. Come on guys, post those toppers!
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 10:16 PM

Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 10:36 PM
fantastic!!! dennis--i love the chrysler and OF COURSE THE CHICKEN WING!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE CHICKEN WING BEFORE!! TXS FOR SHARING YOURS... MAN THOSE ARE SO COOL...ALAN
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sat Aug 22 2009 10:42 PM
Alan, The chicken wing is a tough one. I have seen a couple others over the years. If I come across one for sale in the future I will let you know. Dennis
Posted By: kburkett Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Sun Aug 23 2009 12:49 AM
Here is one I got from my Dad. He had it because we lived in Mt Vernon Indiana

Attached picture MVC-164F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-165F.JPG
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Wed Aug 26 2009 07:29 PM
Here is a pictue of the booklet on License Plate Markers.

He self printed the booklet. He can be reached at:
daveandlinda@frontiernet.net

Jack Sim
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: COTM /August / License plate toppers - Wed Aug 26 2009 08:56 PM
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk