Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 10:39 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up.
Send 'em in!!

Happy Trails!

Wes
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 10:41 AM
Let's start out with the old Motor Inn in Springfield. It's a great example of an early car storage garage, and has a great sign too!

Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 10:44 AM
Here's what looks to be a former Gulf station in Michigan:

Pretty nice simple canopy station with added garage bays:

Check out the thermometer!
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 10:48 AM
Someone's shop in central Illinois. Anyone on Oldgas?

Very intact old porcelain Texaco in Michigan:

That's all I've got for now -- let's see some of your finds!

Wes
Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 03:50 PM
Seen at a pit stop, Tom's Place, in so. Cal. last weekend.

Posted By: TUCKER48 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 07:41 PM
Took a drive on my lunch break a while ago and decided to take pictures of these old stations in Lansing.
The Standard station used to be a carburator repair shop. I used to deliver parts to them in the mid 80's. The inside looks pretty bad now. Drywall and plaster is coming down. Probably has a roof leak. Sad to see it this way. The city of Lansing puts on a car show every year called Cruisin the Gut. It would be great if someone brought this back to its former glory so people could take pics with their hot rods. Wishful thinking, I'm sure some day I'll drive by and it will be gone.

Posted By: TUCKER48 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 08:00 PM
Not petro but right down the road from the Standard station is this old railroad station. I really like the looks of this old building but sad to report it seems to be in worse shape than the gas station. This used to be a popular restaurant in the mid 80's but has fallen victim to time and neclect. Sure wish somebody could save this place.

Posted By: TUCKER48 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 08:02 PM
Just half a block down from the railroad station is this neat little building. I'm sure it was a gas station long before it was a barber shop.
Posted By: TUCKER48 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Thu Nov 05 2009 08:07 PM
This was a former Gulf station that may be a former repair shop also. The city has spent all summer doing a road/sewer seperation project right on this guys front door. I have tried on and off for 10 years to buy one or both of the poles but they have never been for sale. A long time ago the owner claimed he had the porcelain Gulf sign for one of the poles. I've never seen it and could not say if he still has it. Oh well.

Sign in Oklahoma City next to the Downtown Farmer's Market.
This on the backside of the building with the texaco sign at the Downtown Farmer's Market in Oklahoma City.
The Deep Rock station is on the corner of western and main in OKC. HEY, it's for rent!
Across the street from the Deep Rock is a warehouse with some really cool stuff inside. The pump is really cool.
New Shell sign in OKC in the midtown area.
You would need a big space for this one! Both pieces are there. The price is 600$ last time I asked. In OKC at a house salvage.
Neat posts thanks for posting
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Fri Nov 06 2009 11:01 PM
that deep rock is too cool! love to have those stones hanging over my garage.great pics all!
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Fri Nov 06 2009 11:08 PM
I agree, the Deep Rock, Rocks! Actually they are all awesome. Enjoy this thread and everyone keeping it this fun and interesting. Keep up the good work everyone.
Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:25 AM
A few photos of the pumps and signs in a little restaurant at the top of Cajon pass in so. Cal.

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:27 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:28 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:30 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:37 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:42 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:47 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:50 AM

Posted By: Jack R Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:55 AM

Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 07:54 AM
Rockport CO. This is was a town On US85 between Cheyenne WY and Greeley CO. I don't believe there is a postoffice there any longer so not a town anymore. It was a filling station and bar thats all. Population was however many people that lived in the building. During the 1949 blizzard the population soared to above 50 when a passenger bus was snowed in there. It took them close to week to dig out and almost ran out of food. I've been going to post pictures of it and on my way to Denver today I brought my camera. It is emaculate.

Attached picture PDR_0064.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0065.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0066.JPG
Posted By: TomL Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 08 2009 12:37 PM
Nice Deep Rock pic
interesting story on ROCKPORT. Thanks
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Wed Nov 11 2009 12:12 AM
Here's a couple of old stations I saw in Gadsden, Alabama. I hope they come through. This is the first time I've tried resizing the pictures. As you can see, the leaded glass window is still intact over the door on the Texaco station, first picture...Dale

Attached picture phpOA4TQIPM.jpg
Attached picture phpzcSE5bPM.jpg
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 15 2009 06:00 PM
Here is one from Tiffin,Ohio.

Working on getting information on it...

Randy

Attached picture 434 N SANDUSKY AND FOURTH TIFFIN OH 01.jpg
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Sun Nov 15 2009 06:13 PM
Here is a now and then picture of a Red Head Gas Station from the East side of Toledo,Ohio.

I think it is an ice cream stand now.... grin

Randy

Attached picture red head 01.jpg
Attached picture red head 02.jpg
My how things change.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 16 2009 12:02 AM
Isn't that amazing. I love those "then and now" shots. The changes that sometimes takes place is just jaw dropping. Thanks for posting. Great bunch of pics all around everyone.
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 01:45 PM
Here is a gas station located in Delaware, Ohio. It looks like the service bay is still used. But if you look at the pump island it has not had pumps on it for years.

I wonder what brand of gas it was? laugh

Attached picture Delware 01.jpg
Attached picture delaware02.jpg
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 03:23 PM
Linco would be my guess as I have found pictures of 5 stations like that including one at Central & Lake in Delaware, Ohio.

The pictures belong to another oldgasser, not mine to post.
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 03:39 PM
Dave...That is the address of the station. Central and Lake. Can you email me a picture of that station.

Randy
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 10:42 PM
Randy;
Here is an old photo of your station. Wish it was clearer.
Was Linco Station #15.
Chuck

Posted By: Gaspedler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 10:55 PM
The one in Tiffin, Ohio looks like a Linco or Ohio Oil also.
I don't have any listing for that town in my photos.
Chuck
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 11:09 PM
Here is one in Radnor, Ohio, like the Tiffin, one.
It is an Ohio Oil - Linco station.
Chuck

Posted By: lordparaffin Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 11:17 PM
Always enjoy looking at the old photos. Thanks for the Pics. Chuck. It's always most interesting when you can compare then vs. now.
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Mon Nov 30 2009 11:35 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for uploading the picture of the Linco station. I have a person that is doing research on the Tiffin one. I was thinking Paragon at first but I know where the Paragon stations in Tiffin were located at.

Do you have dates when the Linco was open?

Randy
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- November 2009 - Tue Dec 01 2009 09:30 AM
Don't have a date when the Linco Station was opened.
Would have been in the late 1920's.
I will see if I can find out.

The Ohio Oil bought Linco in 1924. At that time Linco stations were primarily located in western Indiana and Eastern Illinois near their refinery in Robinson.
The Ohio expanded those into Ohio and Michigan.

I know that on September 1, 1939 The Ohio ceased using the name Linco, and renamed their stations Marathon, which of course they got from the purchase of Transcontinental Oil in 1930.

Chuck
FROM THE SAME GUY'S COLLECTION WHO HAS ALL THE TOOLS & IMPLEMENTS.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk