Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: agentsteel53 another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 01:06 AM
only the third known-verified-photos-and-all Kansas 66 shield!

note the features that verify this as a genuine product of the Kansas highway department:

* 18 gauge steel
* rounded-off corners
* custom font for KANSAS and 66 (not the standard federal font)
* square mounting holes with evidence of smallish round washer use
* white paint underneath the sheeting

the layout and reflective sheeting material dates this one to the early 1950s.

Route 66 goes through eight states, and it spends the least time in Kansas: only 13.2 miles. So Kansas is by far the most difficult state to find.

And with the acquisition of this sign (through my diligent efforts of course!), one more person has a complete eight-state 66 set smile
Posted By: notitfortat Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 01:29 AM
Outstanding piece of history there. Very, very cool.
Posted By: thermactor Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 02:09 AM
I'm guessing that, rather than small washers, the impressions were made by carriage bolts. That would explain the square holes. The use of washers would make the square holes useless.

Wes
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 04:40 AM
Pretty good condition for its age. Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: thermactor
I'm guessing that, rather than small washers, the impressions were made by carriage bolts. That would explain the square holes. The use of washers would make the square holes useless.

Wes

My thoughts exactly Wes.

Cool sign. Thanks for the info Jake.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Thu Sep 30 2010 11:48 AM
Sweet sign. Get your kicks on Route 66!!!!!!!
Posted By: DCpate Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Fri Oct 01 2010 11:41 AM
very informative,,,thanks!
Posted By: agentsteel53 Re: another highway sign: Kansas US 66 - Tue Oct 05 2010 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: thermactor

Wes

I never knew that; thanks for the info!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk