Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Tue Mar 08 2011 01:06 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up.
Send 'em in!!

Happy Trails!

Wes
Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Tue Mar 08 2011 01:09 AM
Here's a neat station in Texas. It's in fantastic shape, but the canopy roof has been converted to more of a trellis. Apparently the tanks are still under there, because it has some really cool Buckeye tank lids.

Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Tue Mar 08 2011 01:15 AM
Here's another great Texas station. The owners have done a lot of restoration work to fix the structure, as the old mortar was crumbling from between the rocks. They did a great job with the building, sign, and island.

Incidentally, all five of the pics posted above were taken with a cell phone. So, remember -- even if you don't have your camera with you, go ahead and stop to get a picture of that great station or item that you spot while driving around!

Wes
Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 09 2011 02:28 AM
Texaco in Salinas, Ca

Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 09 2011 02:59 AM
Last week I went up to Vallejo, Ca to pick up a Valvoline sign. While I was up there, I approached this building and said to myself that looks like an old gas station. While I was next to it, I noticed the mural on the wall. I pulled over and took some photos. Come to find out it was a Flying A station. I took photos of the mural, the inside and pics of a photo that was inside which showed the gas station in its hay day. Enjoy the photos:

Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 09 2011 03:39 AM
While picking up the Valvoline sign in Vallejo, Ca I was told by the seller this was a Nash Dealership from 1939-1948. It now is a detail shop, hubcap shop and some sort of bicycle shop as well.

Check out the sign blocking the broken window:

How about a close up of that BAD ***** neon clock!!

Posted By: thermactor Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sat Mar 12 2011 03:11 PM
Great pictures, Mike!

I really like the Nash dealership, and the no-parking sign.

Wes
Posted By: DasFast1 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sat Mar 12 2011 11:07 PM
Talking with a gentleman in town, he explained to me that this use to be a Texaco station and that section to the right was the repair shop. Sounds like the two buidlings were not orginally connected but he couldn't remember for sure.

Also thought I'd grab this while I was at it for you Coke-A-Holics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: tyler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Mon Mar 14 2011 01:12 AM

Posted By: bwfergus Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Mon Mar 14 2011 01:52 AM
I finally took a picture of this today while I was out driving around. It is the old Standard Oil Bulk Plant here.

Attached picture standard oil.jpg
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 16 2011 02:35 AM
Had a good day with Chris at his place in the boonies of ILL. Did a little buy, sell, and trade today.

Attached picture 037.JPG
Attached picture 041.JPG
Attached picture 039.JPG
Attached picture 040.JPG
Posted By: tyler Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 16 2011 03:04 AM
wow what an awsome lookin place!
Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:29 PM
While out picking up my Valvoline sign on the 8th, I passed this Ford Dealership. Yes that is my 1963 Ford Falcon Wagon Deluxe in front of the dealership. I stopped to look for signs and found this inside instead:

Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:32 PM
Looks like someone is housing their collection in an old Ford Dealership. That is awesome! Here are more:

Posted By: strnge Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:33 PM

Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:05 PM
On RT 224...Indiana

Randy

]
Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:33 PM
HERES AN OLD STATION WHITTLING AWAY, THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE.

Attached picture phpYceoKzPM.jpg
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Thu Mar 24 2011 05:08 PM
This lake front location was a Shell station according to the owner. Located just off old US-27 in Indiana.

Attached picture post.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Thu Mar 24 2011 10:06 PM
Now that is a great little station. I would like to live in a little place like that. Does it have a one bay or two bay garage below?

I've seen a couple of old stations somewhat like the photo, where the pumps were up above on the street and the garage portion was down below. One just drove down a driveway to the garage. Kept noise from the garage down, plus it kept street traffic moving at the pumps.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sat Mar 26 2011 09:30 AM
Originally Posted By: thermactor
Here's another great Texas station. The owners have done a lot of restoration work to fix the structure, as the old mortar was crumbling from between the rocks. They did a great job with the building, sign, and island.

Incidentally, all five of the pics posted above were taken with a cell phone. So, remember -- even if you don't have your camera with you, go ahead and stop to get a picture of that great station or item that you spot while driving around!

Wes

all five from Jefferson?
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Sat Mar 26 2011 11:34 AM
Here is one from Kenton, Ohio. I never knew it was there. Before there was big tent in front of it and they were selling flowers.

Randy

Posted By: philmccauley Re: FATW -- Found Along The Way -- March 2011 - Wed Mar 30 2011 01:05 AM
Ran across today.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk