Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: coopwyo 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:12 AM
Here is the latest project that my class and I finished. We just got it done on Friday. A member of the community liked the couch that we made so well, they gave me the idea for the mailbox.

I had two fins that were so rusted out along the bottom that I didn't think there was any use for them, but since I couldn't stand getting rid of them I held onto them and sure enough a project presented itself.

The kids have come up with the idea of putting a pressure switch in the bottom of the mailbox. That way when mail is placed inside, the tailights will come on. We are going to custom make a post for it to sit on -- I'm thinking something art-decoish.

As far as the Erie 71 goes -- now that the weather is warming up we can get outside and finish sand blasting the skins and get to straightening them. We only have the two big doors to go. We are still looking for a glass top and an original porcelain totalizer face if anyone happens to have one out there. Thanks.
Chris

Attached picture 59 mailbox.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:55 AM
Sure will make a Nice Target w/ a bat
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:59 AM
That looks awesome (to good like someone would steal it). If I had one here the snow plow would hit it LOL. Very Nice Work!!!
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 06:05 AM
Nice looking job Chris. I hope that is going in town and not out in the country or there might be a lot of bullet holes put in it. Mitch
Posted By: gasoildude Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 01:23 PM
Now that is cool. To nice to be put outside but useless inside.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 05:46 PM
That is creative and beautiful work of art. It wouldn't last long on my road either.
Posted By: Nicole Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Sun Mar 20 2011 06:30 PM
Maybe it would work as an indoor mail/message box of some kind. At some fancy office or even like that cool dentists office there was a renewed thread about not long ago...

What a great job they did!

Most of the mail boxes around here become damaged from ice thrown from snow plows...

Have the kids brainstorm on how it could be used at some place like a corporate head quarters then shop around--put together a list of cool companies in your city and have the students set a price and see if the CEO's would be willing for them to make a pitch. It would be kind of like the research your student's might use in the future to get a job, research and find out about the company they are interested in and pitching the merits of what they can do for that company... : )
Posted By: coopwyo Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 01:38 AM
I can't believe how concerned you all are that this thing might get destroyed. Do you think people would really try to damage it just for the fun of it? I can definitely see the problem with the snow plows though.

Thanks for the great idea Nicole -- however, there aren't a whole lot of CEO's in Cheyenne, Wyoming. There is one restaurant based off the old "Sanford and Son" tv show that has a bunch of old "junk" displayed throughout the building.

If the person that we made it for thinks it might get damaged sitting out by the road, I think I'll use you idea and have the kids contact that restaurant.

Thanks again for all the support.
Chris
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 01:43 AM
Did you grow up in a Box or protected home? laugh
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 01:44 AM
I think a lot of people out in the country can say that they've had their mailbox smashed at one point or another. I've heard that some kids think it's great fun to drive down the road and the person in the passenger seat tries to hit them with a baseball bat. Not trying to be discouraging, it would just be a shame to see so much hard work just get destroyed.
Posted By: thermactor Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 02:32 AM
That's true. Tara your forgot to mention that right after we moved to the current house, someone totally obliterated our mailbox with a bat one night. They have hit most of the boxes on our road, as well as the next road over. I think it's pretty common.

The mailbox looks great - what a fantastic use for the old scrap sheetmetal!

Wes
Posted By: bppierce Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 02:53 AM
Quote:
Do you think people would really try to damage it just for the fun of it?

Yes.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 03:22 AM
Happens all the time.

You've never wondered why the aisle at Home Depot, ACE and/or Lowe's has so many mailboxes that are re-enforced? And that the manufacturers advertise that fact so predominately?
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 11:47 AM
Back when I was a Young Rebel we never hit them with Baseball Bats, we would always try to hit them with our Beer Bottles as we were driving by. blush

We were all young and Dumb at one time or another!!

Great Looking Mailbox.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 11:49 AM
That was one part of "Young & Dumb" that I personally never took the time to consider doing!
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Mon Mar 21 2011 11:53 AM
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
That was one part of "Young & Dumb" that I personally never took the time to consider doing!

Doc, It was the Booze that was making us do it!! blush
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Tue Mar 22 2011 04:56 AM
mailbox baseball with ace an eyeball lol
Posted By: steven Re: 1959 Caddy mailbox - Tue Mar 22 2011 10:03 AM
growing up we would put M-80,s in the mailbox
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk