Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:43 PM
These pictures are from a 1941 auto service magazine showing the new merchandiser cabinets available to Oldsmobile dealers and recommended for any auto service garage. No mention of cabinet maker in the article, but there was a Lincoln Engineering, St. Louis ad nearby.

Thought you'd like to see these cabinets in actual use back in the day.

Attached picture merchandisers1.jpg
Attached picture merchandisers2.jpg
Attached picture merchandisers3.jpg
Attached picture merchandisers4.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:44 PM
One more pic ...

Attached picture merchandisers5.jpg
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:50 PM
Those are beautiful cabinets. I found one locally but the guy threw out the middle work bench. He still has the two sides and the back piece. He told me these cabinets had little compartment to soak carb parts. Would love to find a complete one locally. Great pictures.
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 12:47 AM
Love those cabinets!Cool pics!Thanks
Posted By: JimmyD Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 12:54 AM
Those are the ones that the Alemite Chassis Lubrication greaser I have for sale goes with.
Posted By: Nicole Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 03:01 AM
Did those guys really wear white to work on cars?

I can see it on doctors (the illusion of cleanliness), but mechanics?

p.s. I've also seen those old ads with the guys filling up your tank wearing white--I can only imagine the laundry loads!
Posted By: badgas Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 04:38 AM
White shows up better in black and white photos. Perhaps that's the reason for them wear white in the photos.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 06:24 AM
When I went to work In a machine shop in 1957 we rented white coveralls for 75 cents a week. Mitch
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 11:37 AM
I like the last one where he is standing on top of the motor honing the cylinder!
Posted By: Nicole Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 03:48 PM
Mitch,

Did the rental include laundry service? Jus' wonderin'...
Posted By: Nicole Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 03:57 PM
Mitch,

Did the rental include laundry service? Jus' wonderin'...

Kenny,

That pic standing on the engine reminds me of when I got my first pick-up truck. My first car was a third hand Toyota Corolla built before all the anti pollution devices were put in, and for a broke student, it was easy to get to the spark plugs for a tune up. I bought a Chevy truck next and I had to sit ON the engine to change those spark plugs. It was the first and last time I did that.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Thu Mar 24 2011 04:09 PM
Back in the 1970s when I started working at a Buick dealership, everyone in service and body shop had white shirts and dark blue pants. Rental was like $5+ a week and included laundry. We got the shirts pretty nasty looking on many days.
At the Cadillac dealership prior to that, we had medium blue shirts and merchandiser cabinets like in the pictures.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Fri Mar 25 2011 07:08 AM
Nicole Yes $1.50 for two pair once every two weeks. I started out making $1.00 a hr. and worked a 44 hr week. $46 a week with the overtime on Saturdays. Worked for the gentleman 16 yrs. until he closed in 1973. Mitch

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Early 1972. Discharged from the Marines just long enough to grow some hair. Working for Standard Oil of Calif. Here I am in my "uniform" white shirt, blue pants, and black belt (no buckle) with oil resistent soles (non-slip) on the shoes. Our shirts/pants were sent out every week to be cleaned. We had a fresh one for each day.
Don
Posted By: Nicole Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Sat Mar 26 2011 12:40 AM
I guess now-a-days if you show up in a clean shirt your boss might think you're not working... : )

It sure doesn't look like they offer laundry service at the place we take our car and truck to--but they do great work! I'll have to ask them next time... : )

Likely I think it's the unmarried guys that have the most oil on their blue coveralls. Why wash it if you're just going to get grease on it again the next day. : o

Thanks guys and from Don's pic I can just imagine what you looked like. Don, the rag in the back pocket--that seems to have been a standard as far back as I can remember.
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Sat Mar 26 2011 01:08 AM
Those cabinets are pretty cool! Was the Oldsmobile logo a decal or a sign or part of the cabinet?

Originally Posted By: Nicole
Likely I think it's the unmarried guys that have the most oil on their blue coveralls. Why wash it if you're just going to get grease on it again the next day. : o

This is a good point...I don't wash my "yardworking" clothes if I know I'm just gonna get them dirty again the next day. Why waste the water?! LOL.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Merchandiser Service Cabinets, Alemite - Wed Mar 30 2011 02:16 AM
I have a big Alemite embossed tin sign in fair condition. Must be about 4x6 ft. Outside display no doubt. Never see another one. Anyone else got one?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk