Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DIESEL COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Mon Mar 28 2011 10:20 PM
Looking for early or "any" Cosden gas station, or pump photos ,i am trying to get the correct colors together for a pump resto using higher octane pump plates & higher octane 1 piece globe.

Question: would a visible pump "fry?" be correct "period correct"?
or just electric/clock mec pumps?

Thank you for the help !

Oh.........& heres a pic of a Cosden "liquid gas" tanker that i thought you fellas would enjoy !

Attached picture _1.jpg
Posted By: eshaver Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 11:00 AM
Chris , I was told that the pumps were a "Mustard " colored Yellow with a Bright Green trim. I would also like to have a verification on the colors too .......... Ed Shaver
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 12:39 PM
According to the Guide To Gas Pump Restoration Cosden Higher Octane (Regular grade) pumps from the late 1930's - early 1950's were all white. They used a Cosden Higher Octane porcelain sign 30" from the "curbline". Curved pumps used a decal instead of a porcelain sign. Globe would have been a Cosden Higher Octane 3 pc. glass. They didn't have any info from before the early 30's. Maps can be a good source to find paint schemes, proper sign placement,etc.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 02:14 PM
Hi Chris,

You lost me.What are you after?Do you mean did they use visibles and electric pumps togather?Yes they did,or a least one distributor did.Also,does it have to be a Cosden station or just a station selling Cosden gas?I can help there bot the pic is B&W.The unique station was built mid 30's I think but pic is 1940 from what I can tell.
Posted By: eshaver Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 07:11 PM
Thats interesting as the oil / Grease cans were allways a Mustard Yellow with a very Dark Green trim Mustard Yellow would photograph as White in the old B & W days too........ Ed Shaver
Posted By: DIESEL Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
Hi Chris,

You lost me.What are you after?Do you mean did they use visibles and electric pumps togather?Yes they did,or a least one distributor did.Also,does it have to be a Cosden station or just a station selling Cosden gas?I can help there bot the pic is B&W.The unique station was built mid 30's I think but pic is 1940 from what I can tell.
Sorry, heres my bottom line question Oldiron, what color combo or color did Cosden use on there pumps "higher octane" ? next question: would it have been common to see visiable pumps in cosden higher octane? Is there curved pump plates "cosden" in existence ? the reason i ask is, the fella that i am going to restore a pump for just asked if we could use a fry 17 & if we did ,would it be period correct? i could not answer that question,anyways thank you so much for all the input & yes i would love to see any pics anyone has ......even any currently restored pumps branded in cosden! thanks a million!
Posted By: DIESEL Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
According to the Guide To Gas Pump Restoration Cosden Higher Octane (Regular grade) pumps from the late 1930's - early 1950's were all white. They used a Cosden Higher Octane porcelain sign 30" from the "curbline". Curved pumps used a decal instead of a porcelain sign. Globe would have been a Cosden Higher Octane 3 pc. glass. They didn't have any info from before the early 30's. Maps can be a good source to find paint schemes, proper sign placement,etc.
That helps alot ,i would really like to see a station in its heyday! maybe the historical society in Ok, ???would have some pics??? thanks again!
Posted By: Old Iron Re: COSDEN / UNITED PETROLEUM CORP. "Need Help" - Tue Mar 29 2011 10:26 PM
Common to see visibles in Cosden higher octane?I don't know,but I suspect not in that time frame.Porcelain plates didn't come out until 1946 according to PCM's green book.Prior to that it was decals.

Go to the hardback book "Route 66 Rembered" by Witzel.On page 65 there is a pic of the iceberg cafe and station that was here in ABQ,it looks like an iceberg!!The distributer was Rio Pecos Oil Co selling Cosden gas and various brands of oil;Pennzoil,Veedol and Conoco.

The pic shows three visibles with globes and one electric with no globe.Interesting.That pic shows decal placement.Hope that helps.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk